1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 4:50 PM by phefner79 RSS

ICS Update

SK1WIN Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

The Samsung Nexus S 4g is supposed to receive updates first since it's a Nexus phone. What is the hold up? Everyday I see other Android devices receiving ICS updates but there is not even a scheduled date for this release. Other Samsung phones have release dates (by quarter) but not NS4G. I bought this phone because it's a developer phone, develop it.

• 1. ICS Update
    MarkJHirt Regular Visitor

Please name the phone other then the Galaxy Nexus that currently and offically has ICS... I expect to hear crickets because there are none

• 2. ICS Update
    SK1WIN Regular Visitor

You should have read my post a little more closely. I said devices, as in the ASUS Transformer Prime, etc. and did not specify phones. My point about this being a developer phone is still valid, so stop chirping. 

• 3. ICS Update
    MoreBRAAAINS Newbie

The release should be really soon, I've been running the "official leaked" version of ICS 4.0.4. Its basically perfect except for the proximity sensor issue.

• 4. ICS Update
    WhyStay Newbie

I think the more important question is Why Stay With Sprint???

1. There rockin' out their 4G network - NOT, after a super slow build of a network of 4G that doesn't even work in the core of 4G cities, Sprint is moving to LTE and will catch up to Verizon soon, say about 2020

2. They are such great communicators and keep us so well informed - NOT, this debacle with updates for the Nexus S is only really an issue due to Sprints S.O.P., that news isn't news until it's old news. They may  announce ICS for Nexus S after everyone has it

3. They are on the cutting edge of everything, so don't worry! - NOT, Sprint is, was, and apparently will always be, a step or ten behind Verizon.

4. Great perks for loyal users, like the Premier program! - NOT, oops, that's right, we got that taken away, right around the time that the 4G fee became a smartphone fee, because there is no 4G!

I have been with Sprint for 8 years, and with all of the above to ponder, I do believe I have renewed my last contract with Dan Hesse.

• 5. ICS Update
    badchad4 Regular Visitor

Maybe the OP should stop chirping, and read the other, multiple threads going on about the same topic.

There is no information about the ICS update.  Nobody knows anything.  It'll get here when it gets here, if it ever does.

If you don't like it, take "WhyStay's" advice and voice your dissatisfaction with your money.

• 6. ICS Update
    StvnM Expert

The Samsung Nexus S 4g is supposed to receive updates first since it's a Nexus phone.

I've read this statement by multiple people and wonder where they are getting their information. To my knowledge, it was never stated that the NS4G would get any update first. Everything I have read has only said it would get its updates directly from Google. Directly and first are two entirely different things. So I'm curious, is there anythign in writing from Google, Sprint and/or Samsung that makes this claim of being first, or is it just an assumption?!?

• 7. ICS Update
    MoreBRAAAINS Newbie

From Google" With this device, users will be the first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps as soon as they become available."  http://www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-s

• 8. ICS Update
    SK1WIN Regular Visitor

The fact that I'm a Sprint customer (and have been for 12 years) allows me to post any **** question I want, regardless if it has been asked in a different form somewhere else. Also the 'it will get here when it gets here' and 'nobody knows anything' logic is beyond idiotic. Spmeone knows something and if you would like to sit back and not be provided information on updates, that is your business, but I want to know when I can expect this update. I made the point that the NS4G doesn't even have an official ICS release QUARTER, so requesting that Sprint provide that isn't that big of an ask.

So feel free to remain uninformed but do so quietly.

• 9. ICS Update
    StvnM Expert

Thanks

• 10. ICS Update
    badchad4 Regular Visitor

Yes.  You may ask any question you want.  My point was that throwing a temper tantrum, threatening to leave Sprint and acting like a child has been done on numerous occasions.  The answer remains the same:  Nobody within these forums knows when ICS is coming, and nobody has known since the original "When is ICS coming" thread was developed months ago.

So yes, feel free to cry about it.  Hopefully you'll get an answer.

• 11. ICS Update
    MarkJHirt Regular Visitor

As you reminded us in your 2nd post it is a "developer phone".

Google created the Nexus line for users to develop software or even ROM's in a pure Google environment.

• 12. Re: ICS Update
    kyaniii Newbie

I'm with you. they posted ICS for other devices and still no ICS for us sprint Nexus S 4G users. Im really upset about this. google has to much on thier plate or something.

• 13. Re: ICS Update
    wsu87 Valued Member

no other PHONE currently has ICS. The ASUS transformer is not a PHONE and doesn't need any special effort to get radios working like GPS, 3g, 4g, wifi etc. The ASUS transformer also has a much bigger battery so tweaking it to attain acceptable battery life is also not a big deal. These are, however, extremely difficult to achieve for smart phones. CURRENTLY, the only other phone with ICS is the galaxy nexus, which is google's flagship device. You were promised that your nexus s 4g would be among the first PHONES (not the first DEVICE) to get ICS, and secondly, SPRINT has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ICS update, that is 100% google's job to roll out the iCS update.

I think what badchad is trying to tell you SK1WIN is that these questions have been asked on other threads in this forum, and that instead of wasting your own time posting a new thread, you could do a little reading for yourself and save YOURSELF the time and effort by finding information that is literally one click away from this thread.

main point: SPRINT is as uninformed as YOU are regarding the ics update you will not receive a rollout date from anyone at sprint, unless google tells them about it first.

• 14. Re: ICS Update
    MikeP6147 Regular Visitor

It was rolled out March 21st

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...