7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 2:52 PM by LITTLEB078 RSS

Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.

dbrewer8318 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My girlfriend and I recently switched over to Sprint from US Cellular.  We both bought the iPhone 4 but she's having major reception issues on her phone.  She keeps getting an 'o' symbol where the 3G symbol is located.  When this happens she's unable to receive calls or texts.

She called Sprint customer service and they said a tower was out in her area and it would be up in 3 days.  After 3 days passed she was still having issues and called back.  This time they said the tower would be up in another 2 days.  It still didn't work after 2 days. She called a third time and once again they said its a tower problem.

The reason I don't think it's a tower problem is because her iPhone will have the 'o' symbol and mine will be fine even though I'm sitting right next to her.  It's frustrating because we keep telling customer service that my phone works fine and they keep insisting its a tower issue.  We were about to cancel within the first 14 days so we didn't have to pay the termination fee but we were assured that once the towers were running everything would be OK.  Now the 14 days has passed and she's stuck paying a bill for a phone she can barely use.

Has this happened to anyone else?  And, is there a way find out exactly what areas are having tower problems?  Her zip code is 60636.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

dbrewer8318,  At this time I located 1 outage in the 60636 zipcode. This is a capacity issue and has been on going since December. I show the towers with capacity issues are scheduled for maintence with in the next 90 days (you can veiw upcoming maintence in your area by clicking this link https://network.sprint.com/). What type of device do you have?

• 2. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    dbrewer8318 Newbie

Thanks for the response.  The device is an iPhone 4.

• 3. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

dbrewer8318, I apologize you did mention in your original post that you BOTH got an iPhone, Have her perform these steps, go to settings>general>reset>reset network settings, If this does not correct the issue a reset may be required, To do the reset settings>general> reset>erase all content and settings>erase Iphone>erase iphone. By doing this step all information will be removed from the device. You can back the information up to icloud or itunes. If you end up doing the reset and still have the issue I suggest taking the device to an apple store for assistance.

• 4. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    tonymax_68 Newbie

Yes this has happened to me my phone was fine the first couple of weeks and now I cant surf the web or get into my apps,I think Sprints network is **** and its not ready to support all of the iphones,I think its really a ripoff because they want to promote unlimited data and customers like myself can cant even surf the web.Sprint really needs to address this issue because its unacceptable for the amount of money Im paying for bad service,and Im tired of seeing that o on my phone instead of the 3g signal,I do not think its the phone just think its Sprints jacked up network and if they dont fix the issue I will take the hit and get an Iphone on Verizons dependable network.

• 5. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    LaCorte5 Newbie

Just wondering if you ever got the phone working ok? My husband and I got the iphone 4s also and have had terrible reception and dropped calls. He was still within his 14 days so he returned his as he uses it for work and cant have it cutting out and dropping calls all the time. The guy at the Sprint store said we had towers being worked on by us also, we are zip 60586. We both had service with Sprint before but with the Evo 4G and never had these problems as we are having now!

• 6. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    Sprint Employee

In zip 60586 there are towers getting the network vision upgrades and some others that have tickets for service issues. During the upgrade process there is an integration of multiple network elements that will result in an improvement. I understand that today it seems more broken than fixed, but this should be solved soon. Unfortunately there are disruptions during the conversion.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 7. Re: Having reception problems but don't think it's tower related.
    LITTLEB078 Newbie

My boyfriend and I decided to get rid of my Verizon phone and get on a Sprint plan together. He loved them and never had any issues but now it is horrible.  The past three weeks or so have been AWFUL. I cannot stand paying for something that does not even work. I had to send a very important text message to a family member. Hours later, I found out she never had received it. I cannot have an entire phone conversation with someone anywhere. It drops both of our calls between 4 and 5 times every. single. call. Yes, we pay a lot less money with Sprint than we did with Verizon but what's the point if you can't even use it?! I called them today to complain about it. They told me I could call back or report an out of service to get credit, meaning minutes, back for my dropped calls. All I normally talk with are other cell phones. What's the point!? They're unlimited anyways. Give me money back for the service I can't use. Or get us out of our contract so we can go somewhere else!!! I am so extremely disappointed with Sprint. We just moved out of our families' homes, I miss my parents and would love to talk to them more but can't!!!  I hear this oh, we're servicing the towers and it will take up to 3 months, what the heck!!!!! WHY MAKE US PAY YOU IF WE CAN'T EVEN USE YOUR SERVICES!!!! YOU ARE STEALING FROM ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. Thank you!!! I'm going to have to spend more money and get a home phone.

Sincerely,

Beth

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points