12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 1:45 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

won't connect to Wi-Fi

jimmygr02 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

I just got my phone back from Samsung.  The GPS is working a little better (not much).  But the Wi-Fi is fubar.  Can't connect to my wireless network with password.  Have to use the WPS button connect method and data rates are extremely slow.  Less than 1 Mbps.  Every other wireless device in the house gets 16 or better.  My daughter's evo 3d gets 16.

Why won't it let me connect to wi-fi without the button method??

• 1. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

jimmygr02, Once you have it connected does it stay connected or do you have to reconfigure it everytime you wish to connect? From the information I have gathered the WPS key is specifically for routers or other devices that are WPS capable. There for if the router you are trying to connect to is WPS capable then you will have to use that botton. Your daughters EVO 3D is not a WPS capable device. I do apologize for any inconvience this may be causing you.

• 2. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi
    jimmygr02 Valued Member

No, no one else who connects to my wi-fi network has any problems.  My own laptop connects just fine.  My daughter's evo connects just fine.  The Wii connects just fine.  The xbox connects just fine.  The bluray, just fine.

My phone won't connect.  I only used the WPS button on the cable modem out of desperation.  It connected but was unusable because of speed.  The WPS button is not required to log onto my network. 

Everyone else, including my laptop, just enters the password one time and forever they can connect.

• 3. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi
    jimmygr02 Valued Member

Also, my Epic 4G Touch, BEFORE I sent it to Samsung to repair the GPS, also connected just fine to my wi-fi.  Not anymore.

• 4. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi
    RexicoBurress Regular Visitor

@lilgeekygirl: My Epic 4g Touch will connect to my Wi-Fi network and work fine for a few minutes.  Then, I'll lay my phone down for a few minutes, pick it upand try to access either the web, or FB and it will just spin as if it's lost connection?  I have to turn off Wi-Fi and turn it back on to reconnect - over and over and over...  I'm really confused how it can be connected, work just fine, and then completely stop working, even though the signal strength is excellent (full signal) - any thoughts?  Has this happened to others that you're aware of?  Thanks for any input you may have...

• 5. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

oops - I'll try the direct reply to you...

@lilgeekygirl: My Epic 4g Touch will connect to my Wi-Fi network and work fine for a few minutes.  Then, I'll lay my phone down for a few minutes, pick it upand try to access either the web, or FB and it will just spin as if it's lost connection?  I have to turn off Wi-Fi and turn it back on to reconnect - over and over and over...  I'm really confused how it can be connected, work just fine, and then completely stop working, even though the signal strength is excellent (full signal) - any thoughts?  Has this happened to others that you're aware of?  Thanks for any input you may have...

• 6. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

RexicoBurress, This is the first report I've heard of the issue you are experiencing. Do you have any other phones in the home that have the same issue? Have you connected it to a different WIFI source? If so did the issue exist on that wifi as well?

• 7. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

jimmygr02, Since your last reply have you taken the device back to the store to look into the wifi issue? Have you tried to connect to any other wifi source?

• 8. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

Thank you for the quick response! :-)

I'm testing another Wi-Fi source right now through a co-worker's Hot-Spot.  I'll get back with you shortly after a fair test.  (later today) - thanks again!

• 9. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

Hmmm...  Everything appears to work fine when using my co-worker's hot-spot.  Interestingly, my laptop doesn't seem to have issues with my home network... ?  Your thoughts?  Suggestions?

• 10. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

Rexico, Have you removed the connection off your phone then reconnected?

• 11. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi

If you mean "forgetting" the network, then re-adding it, no - I haven't tried that...  I viable option?

• 12. Re: won't connect to Wi-Fi
    fireguy_6364 Master

yes. theres always a chance that some of the saved info between the phone and the router got lost. forget the connection and try again. if it just keeps searching and dropping then hit the little reset button on the router to cause it to basically search again and then research with your phone. that SHOULD do it...re post in here if that works or doesnt so others will know

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points