13 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2009 2:37 AM by Mel_V RSS

Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone connected their M300 to their computer? I know there is a cable available, but I want to find out what else (computer software and such) is needed to maintain such things as my contacts on my phone from my computer. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

I have the same question, I need to connect my Samsung 300 to the pc in order to download the photos I take with the camera. Is that possible? Thanks!

• 2. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer
    Sprint Employee

Great questions!
    For the first one, in regards to the contacts, the flip phones (esentially anything that's not a PDA device) does not store the contacts as an accessible file type. Transfering contact info from your phone to your computer is unfortunately not an option this way.
    What you can do is one of the following:
    a: Subscribe to the Wireless BackUp through the phone. This is a $2 / month fee and all your numbers are stored on the Wireless BackUp website (accessible when you log in to Sprint.com).
    b: Subscribe to Voice Command. This is $5 / month and it also stores your numbers on the Voice Command website, plus allows you to use your phone hands free. With this you can simply command the phone to dial the number that is attached to a phrase you establish on the Voice Command website.
    Now when it comes down to moving pictures they can be uploaded using the Vision services (which is $15 / month). This phone does not have a microSD card so the pictures aren't saved as a file type that can be extracted from the phone this way. I would recomend a data pack so you can send / receive / and upload pictures wireless from the phone to the picturemail website (www.pictures.sprintpcs.com).
    Remember that if you choose the "SAVE TO PHONE" option with your pictures that those pictures are stored on the phone's internal memory and can not be uploaded, shared, and etc. They are essentially "stuck" on your phone.
    If either of you have any more questions please ask, or dial 888-211-4727 from a landline phone with your Sprint phone at the ready.

• 3. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

In other words, the only "use" for the "data" cable is a different way to charge my phone. Terrific!

• 4. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer
    Sprint Employee

The data cable that comes with many phones is there in case you ever wish to use your phone as a modem. This model of phone can be connected to a computer and used as a wireless modem. The PAM plans start at $39.99/month.
    If you're not wanting to use your phone as a modem then you can simply keep the cable with the box. This way if you ever decided to sell your phone at a later date (say after an upgrade) you can do so with all the in-box accessories.
    Only PDA devices (Treo, PPC 6700, Mogul, Blackberry, etc) have ways where the device can be synced so your contacts/calendar can be saved on your computer.

• 5. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

Thanks for the confirmation. FYI: The data cable is not a part of the phone. It is an accessory available as a separate purchase (at least in my case).

• 6. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer
    Sprint Employee

doh! You're right. I was doing a compare/contrast with the M300 and M500. The M500 has a USB Cable that comes with it. Good catch!

• 7. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer
    Bronze Expert

i looked and the most i found was that samsung has a software called PC Studio (that should come with a data cable so get the samsung one not an aftermarket cable), that should work.

• 8. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

Do you have a link to detailed information on PC Studio? Other than the users guide in pdf form, I cannot find much information on it and that includes samsung.com itself! In particular, I am looking for whether or not the M300 and PC Studio will work together or as was stated above the data cable is solely for using the M300 as a modem for a computer.

• 9. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer
    Bronze Expert

actually upon further research, it looks like this probably won't work. according to another forum, all of the data transfer features were intentionally disabled by sprint (FFS WHY THE **** DO YOU GUYS DO THIS ****?) so the data cable won't help you.
    Sadly I think your only option is to email it to yourself, and perhaps check to see which phones are locked down before buying a new one...

sorry

• 10. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

Well, I didn't have to "pay" for the phone, but I hear ya.

• 11. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

Hi all

I found this thread earlier today because I was in the same boat. I purchased the USB cable from Sprint and was totally shocked that no driver CD was shipped with it. The cable seems to charge my phone just fine, but I also wanted a way to easily capture the images I have taken as well as upload ringtones to the phone.

I was totally dismayed after reading this thread. Then I was poking around and found another forum that mentioned a product called "Bitpim". http://www.bitpim.org The software is open source, meaning there is no additional cash outlay YAY! And while it doesn't seem to be able to do quite a number of things with the phone, it does seem to allow me to view and capture images I've grabbed using the phone's camera as well as allowing me to send ringtones to my phone.

Hopefully this helps those of you earlier in the thread as well as someone such as myself that comes looking later on.

Cheers... Rick

• 12. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer

This is awesome, thanks for posting the link! Now I'm getting a cable for sure!

• 13. Re: Connecting Samsung M300 to Computer
    Valued Member

Removed for the following Community Guideline Violation: Content that includes Trojan horses", worms, spyware, files, executables, or external links to sites that force the download of any virus, program, spyware or other content or code that could interfere with the functionality of the site or damage or destroy data or functionality of any computer hardware or software.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...