This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 1:39 AM by PixiePearl RSS

Unable to get phone connected to computer

c_brookhart Bronze Expert
Currently Being Moderated

After the EL30 update, I am not able to get my phone connected to the computer. I plug in the USB cable and the only option I get is an option to copy files from the SD card to the computer. I have a Windows computer, and Windows is not recognizing the phone and creating a disk drive that represents the SD card. I really don't want to perform a reset, but I had this problem happen before and I think it was after the update from 2.1 to 2.2. How can this issue be resolved?

• 1. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    harleydavidsonGhost Newbie

I have had similar problems before, and have pulled my SD card out of the Phone and put it into the computer and this seemed to work for me.  Thou you have to have an SD card adapter to do this.

Hope you solve your issues.

• 2. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

Sorry for the inconvenience.I would say complete this steps and let me know.

With the micro SD card installed, connect your device to your computer using a compatible USB cable. (Wait for the connection to be completed. When connected, the host computer will automatically detect your device.)

The USB icon  now appears in the top left Notifications area on your device. Tap Mass Storage from the Select USB mode screen. Mass Storage uses the connected USB cable to provide data communication between the device and your computer. The device then appears as an external drive with its own drive letter.

Touch and drag down the Status screen to reveal the Notifications page (or from the Home screen press and tap Notifications).Tap USB connected > Mount to join the card to your device. This “mounting” allows you to access and copy files between your computer and your device's micro SD card.Locate the newly created drive letter on your computer. You can now begin to use the micro SD card as a storage device.

Also, I would like to know if you can go to gallery/pictures and check if you pull info from SD Card. If you get error messages like card full or unable to open, probably you need to copy files to pc and reformat the card. Once you reformat the card all info will be erased from SD Card.

Thanks

Abe

• 3. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

Are you selecting the option to copy files to computer and then checking to see if it set up as a disk drive.

If you are getting the option windows has indeed recognized the card.

• 4. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

Previously, when I connected my phone to the computer, it was instantly recognized. I was presented with three options once the USB cable was connected to the computer. Those options were: charging, mass storage, and tether mode. Now when I connect my phone to the computer, I get a prompt that says "press here to copy files to/from SD card." I select that option and then get a prompt to turn on USB storage. I do that, and then nothing else happens.

I just now tried to connect my phone to the computer, and this time, Windows actually recognized new hardware and began installing drivers. This did not happen when I first posted about the problem I was experiencing. Windows installed 3 out of the 4 drivers successfully. The one that failed was Samsung Android Composite ADB Interface. I unplugged the cable after turning off USB storage and then reconnected the cable. This time, nothing happened.

This is the second time that I've had this happen. I don't have a micro SD card adapter to put into my computer. I want to get the phone connection working the way it is supposed to work,

• 5. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

Without having changed anything, the computer is now recoginizing the phone and displaying a disk drive. Hopefully the initial connection problems are not an indication of a hardware failure.

• 6. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

Once again the USB connection to the computer is not working. I connect the phone to the computer and enable USB storage, but I don't get a drive that represents the phone in 'my computer.' I really don't understand why this worked just about a week ago, and now it doesn't work again.

I contacted Samsung support, and they couldn't offer any help or explain why the USB connection keeps failing to connect.

• 7. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

odd that it tried to install an ADB driver. Is USB debugging checked in settings > applications > development?, from dialpad > ##8778#  what is the connection mode set to?

• 8. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

When I contacted Sprint support, I got the representative to send me a link for the drivers. I ran the install program and it attempts to install a total of 4 drivers. I don't recall exactly what is being installed, but I think that an ADB driver is one of them. Usually 3 of the 4 drivers install successfully, and the 4th one almost always fails. That's what happened the last time I connected my phone to the computer. This time, I had to install the drivers and as before, 3 of the 4 drivers installed correctly. Now the problem I have with the driver install is that regardless of whether or not the phone is connected and I have turned on USB Mass Storage, Windows or the SAMSUNG DRIVER install program are trying to install drivers for an HP PRINTER. I have removed and attempted to reinstall the drivers with the same result.

USB debugging is checked. I will checked the connection mode on the ##8778# setting.

I just don't understand why this randomly stopped working, then worked again, and now two weeks later, has stopped working again.

• 9. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

I checked the settings on the ##8778# menu and what I found is that UART is set on PDA and USB is set on modem.

• 10. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

I connected my phone to the computer, and this time Windows was able to install all four drivers successfully. Windows is installing the following:

Samsung Android USB Composite Device

Samsung Android USB Modem

Samsung Android USB Mass Storage

Samsung Android USB Composite ADB Interface

A drive was created for the phone, but when I click on it, Windows can't seem to access it. The phone indicates that it is advisable to eject the device before disconnecting USB storage, but I don't even get an eject option in the Windows taskbar.

I really want to get this working.

• 11. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    RSPC Expert

Hi

Stumbled across your post here, thought I would check my settings because my phone will connect to my PC (Windows 7 HP)

I checked the settings on the ##8778# menu and what I found is that UART is set on MODEM and USB is set on PDA

That's the exact opposite of your settings..

• 12. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer

I changed the settings, and now it works.

Thanks for the tip. This was something that both Samsung support and Sprint support never thought to check.

• 13. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I'm glad that it's working for you now. I have to say I've only seen these changed for a manual software update in store.

• 14. Re: Unable to get phone connected to computer
    PixiePearl Newbie

THANK YOU ALL!!  I have been surfing the net for days trying to fix this and checking ##8778# (which I never heard of before this post) found that USB was set to MODEM instead of PDA!! Now, I can finally see an external drive letter for my phone on my HP laptop. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...