This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 10:35 AM by kots RSS

Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II

RMURRY67 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I just upgraded from my HTC EVO to the new Samsung Galaxy S II 4g and I am unable to connect to 4g. I am trying to connect in the North Hollywood, CA 91606. I had no problem with my EVO but this new phone will not connect. Has anyone had a similar problem? While I only have had the phone for a couple of days, I do like it but if I cant get 4g I might have to take it back. This is truly frustrating.

• 1. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    5555555ericsprint Newbie

Yup, me too. I live in valley village 91607.  See my post in the forum "network forum" under 5555555ericsprint.  I posted an update yesterday.  I can't get a straight answer from sprint.  The stores say its a network thing.  Sprint says it a phone thing (not hardware, but software).  So who knows when this will be solved. This has gone on for me since the early morning of 3/8. Sprint phone customer service is not reporting any network issues, but recent post in these fourms show that there are similar issues across the country in clusters, but with different phones.  In the SFV, it appears to be only affecting Samsung Galaxy S II 4g.   I spent the week driving to different locations in the valley and couldn't connect to 4g.  But where I work in westwood near UCLA, I get a good fast 4G signal.  So I can connect to 4g, just not anwhere in the valley.

• 2. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    kots Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue.

I’ve contacted employee care, but they really cannot help and told me that they have escalated this to the Engineering team who will look into my issue. I cannot connect to 4G using my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G in the following cities (the ones I have tried so far): West Covina, Baldwin Park, Irwindale, Monrovia, Monterey Park, San Gabriel, San Marino, Arcadia and Pasadena.

Please somebody help. Sprint CS told me that they did not receive unsual call volume on this issue so they are not aware that SoCal subscribers using Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G phones are having issues with connecting to 4G. They don't know how to resolve this issue. I have made the call yesterday and I noticed this issue appeared at least since 03/11/2012.

• 3. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

I don't see any outages related to 4G listed currently for those zip codes, typically if we're unable to troubleshoot the issue and resolve it we would create a network ticket.

kots,

When your issue was escalated were you provided a ticket number?

• 4. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    kots Regular Visitor

@Shane_M: I was not given any ticket #. Sprint stores across Southern California or in the following cities can verify and duplicate this issue with their display model of Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch:

West Covina, Baldwin Park, Irwindale, Monrovia, Monterey Park, San Gabriel, San Marino, Arcadia and Pasadena

• 5. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

I found a few reports from a couple of our service technicians in the stores but couldn't find any tickets documented on it. I also found a couple of post regarding it here on our community and a pretty long thread on XDA forums about it. We need to start having network tickets created on this so we can have our network engineers investigate it. The first step we'll need to do is get people willing to perform full troubleshooting so we can create network tickets on it, if you're willing to troubleshoot this issue please send me a private message or call in 888-211-4727. If anyone else reading this has experienced this issue and you've already called and been given a network ticket number please post it here so I can link them together and have it escalated.

• 6. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    RMURRY67 Newbie

I put in a ticket yesterday as well and they could not see any outages either. However there is something wrong with the phone or the towers. I got so frustrated that I returned the phone and went back to my EVO (which gets 4g without a problem). If you do a Google search you will see that this problem is getting worse and it is not just Sprint, other carriers are experiencing the same issues. I am just glad I was still within the 14 day return policy. I spent many hours in a Sprint store exchanging phones and updating software. It was just not worth the hassle. My EVO works great, it may not be the latest and greatest but at least it gets a signal.

• 7. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

RMURRY67,

I've just began to look into this but I can tell you this does not appear to be an issue with the device itself, no changes have been made software wise, no updates were pushed out and from reading a good majority of the post it appears to be a specific region experiencing the issue.

• 8. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    kots Regular Visitor

@Shane_M: PM sent.

• 9. Re: Unable to connect to 4g with new Samsung Galaxy S II
    kots Regular Visitor

This has been resolved.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points