9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 3:52 PM by PhysicsGuru RSS

E4GT 4g will not stay connected

MOLDMAN123 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I traveled to China last week and turned off my data while there so I could still use my phone. Now I'm back in the states and my 4G will not connect to network.

Does anyone have any ideas other then doing a hard reset?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected
    robotaholic Gold Expert

First thing to do is take out the battery and put it back in.  Once it powers up, then turn on 4G.  Also, if that fails, verify we officially have 4G in your exact location. ( www.sprint.com/coverage) After that, you can try a factory data reset (home/menu/settings/privacy/factory reset) but make sure to back up your personal information first.  If all of those steps fail, then you can take it to a Sprint Service & Repair Center for diagnostics.

-John

• 2. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected

robotaholic,

Thanks for all the sugestions. I do have 4G coverage. I also tried the pull the battery routine. Doing the reset is/was what I was trying to avoid (had to do this many times for my EVO 4g).

• 3. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected
    robotaholic Gold Expert

I am sorry.  If you end up needing to go to the store, feel free to private message me and I will create a ticket and possibly make an appointment for you if you want.

-John

• 4. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected

robotaholic,

I have many a appointment for service as I decided to do a reset but this did not help. Something must be wrong with my phone. Thanks for the help.

regards,

• 5. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected
    JesseNaz Regular Visitor

Its not only your phone, its a known issue recently that Sprint does not want to acknowledge. Mine has been doing the same thing for over a week. Heres a link to other complants. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538070    . Thanks Sprint for your terrible service.

• 6. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected

I just found that out last night after of course doing a reset. At the Sprint store all they said was that it was a known issue and there was/is nothing they can do. I know they can credit me my $10.00 data charge for starters. My son has the same phone in another county here in SoCal and his 4G works fine.

• 7. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

Hey everyone,

I know robotaholic is off today, but I'm starting to see a lot more reports of 4G issues in SoCal region, I'm starting to look into this now to see if I can get it investigated, if anyone has called to have troubleshooting performed and had a network ticket created please post or private message me the ticket number, if you're willing to go through full troubleshooting to have a ticket created on this issue you can either send me a private message or call our technical support at 888-211-4727

• 8. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected
    RexicoBurress Regular Visitor

I had this same issue, around the same timeframe.  (I'm also from SoCal).  I was told by a Sprint Tech that the nearest 4g tower was in Santa Fe Springs (I live in Chino) - with the influx of new 4G phones being purchased in SoCal, the available connections (and bandwidth, of course) are being snapped up. When I traveled to an area without 4G, I somehow was disconnected from the network and was just having a difficult time re-connecting once I returned because of the number of 4G users connecting to the one, closest tower.  She clearly implied that my connection to the tower had been released and someone else had filled the void.  It was suggested that if I travel again to an area that DOES have 4G, connect to the network there - turn off my phone in that service area (no problem because of airline requirements), and turn it back on in my home network area and I would still be connected to the system.  As crazy as it sounds, it actually appears to have worked. Since returning, I've been able to re-connect to 4G services.

Another theory I'd heard was that it was because of the solar-flare that occured about the same time...

Shane - have you continued to hear of problems, or is it 'fixed' for everyone?

• 9. Re: E4GT 4g will not stay connected
    PhysicsGuru Expert

RexicoBurress, it sounds like your profile is having a hard time following your phone. Sprint maintains a network of servers around the country. At any given time, the profile for you device, is loaded on two of them. You profile defines what services your subscribed to, and we carry it on two servers as a back up. If one goes down the other can still provide you with service. When you travel and quickly appear in a new location, often times your profile doesn't make with you. The best way to reset your profile is to turn your phone off for at least 2 minutes, (it takes approximately 90 seconds for the servers to release your profile). When you turn you phone on after your profile has been released, the closest server will identify your phone at the new location and request the profile from Sprint's central servers.

Solar-flares affect cellular service very little. Cellular calls are routed from your phone, to the closest tower, to underground fibre-optic cable to the switch of the carrier of the person you're calling. Because of Earth's magnetic field and our atmosphere, very little of the radiation released by a solar flare reaches Earth's surface, certaintly not enough to affect most terrestrial electronics. I cannot say the same thing about satellite based systems (like TV and GPS). -T.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...