14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 4:57 PM by KMcMurtrie RSS

Sent my phone to Samsung for "Repair" because of awful GPS - wish me luck

jimmygr02 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

After 3 epic 4g touches (from sprint store replacements) and 3 epic failures with their gps performance, I finally decided to call Samsung directly and request warranty service.  They said they would "repair" my phone.  The provided a 2 day air shipping label (UPS) and promised 6 business days from the day I send it that I would have it back.

I mailed it today!

In the mean time, I have activated a used EVO 3D that I picked up on Craigslist.  I gotta tell you, just after two days (yesterday and today) of using the EVO 3D I am floored by how much better the GPS works in this phone than it did in the E4GT.  Satellite locks within seconds, indoors or out, and maintains signal lock during duration of my trips (albeit short trips to and from work, etc).  I used to have a EVO 4G that worked just as well, but still after nearly 2 months of using the E4GT and it's completely useless GPS, I had forgotten what it was like to have something reliable again.

Like I said in a previous post, I don't have much optimism that they are going to be able to fix it.  However, my Dad was in town the other day showing me his Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from a competing mobile phone company that shall remain namelss, and I had him put on GPS Test so I could show him how bad the GPS is....  And guess what?  His works like a champ.  Finds multiple satellites by the time the splash screen goes away and locked within 10 seconds in my living room, where my Galaxy S2 Epic 4G can't even see a SINGLE satellite.  He said he has been using the GPS and has no problems at all with it.  I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the two side by side.  His with green lock and 9 satellites, mine with zero satellites, both starting GPS Test at the same time.  We talked for about 5 or 10 minutes and looked down, his still locked multiple satellites, mine showing completely nothing.

Anywho, here's the plan.  If the Samsung comes back fixed with GPS working as good as my Dad's, I will switch to back to the Epic 4G Touch (it was a birthday present after all and my wife feels awful that I can't use it).  If it comes back as I fear still useless, I will give it to my daughter (her evo screen is pretty much fried so she's willing to switch) and I will keep the EVO 3D for myself.  I kinda need the GPS....

I'll update when I get it back

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...