This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 12:26 PM by Fergie_B RSS

What does Extended mean

amcsmom Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my iPhone say "Extended" instead of 3G with the wireless symbol??

• 1. Re: What does Extended mean
    PhysicsGuru Expert

It means your phone is currently roaming and not connected to the Sprint network.

• 2. Re: What does Extended mean
    amcsmom Newbie

Thanks so much... is there a way to fix that??

• 3. Re: What does Extended mean
    PhysicsGuru Expert

Sometimes phones need to roam. Most of the plans that Sprint offers include roaming for no additional charge. Because you're using an iPhone your plan probably does include roaming. Are you in a location where you normally get Sprint service? What zip are you in?

• 4. Re: What does Extended mean
    Dena4112 Newbie

I am having the same problem. I get my text messages however my Iphone 4S will not connect to the internet. I have my network roaming set to Voice and Data but still I get to internet connection. Is there anyway to fix that? This only happens when I am at work in the building. My zip is 97006.

• 5. Re: What does Extended mean
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

amcsmom,

Thank you for using Sprint community for your question.  If your iPhone is showing "extended", this means you are currently roaming.  That means, either you're in a location where you are not in Sprint coverage, or there is an issue in your area causing the Sprint towers near you to not function properly.  If you've never noticed it before at that location, I'll need your nearest cross street so I can determine the root cause of your issue.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Hours: 9am-8pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 6. Re: What does Extended mean
    Dena4112 Newbie

Fergie_B,

I use to be able to connect to the internet in fact in some parts of the building I am able to get service and get on the internet. Where I sit at work I don'talways get the best connection but I do get text messages just cant' get on the internet. I was able to about a month ago but now it wouldn't let me.

My cross streets are SW Walker Rd and NW 185th Ave in Beaverton, Oregon.

My co-worker also has Sprint and she is having the same exact problem. Please  help!!

Thank you,

• 7. Re: What does Extended mean
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Dena4112,

Thank you for providing me that information.  When looking up your location, I don't see an immediate reason why you would be experiencing issues accessing the web.  If your issue is indoors, however there are a lot of factors that could cause degraded data services.  In order to provide you with data services, we recommend having at least 3 bars of signal.  Were you previously able to get a strong signal and now do not?  Is your issue only indoors?  Or is it around your office as well.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

• 8. Re: What does Extended mean
    Dena4112 Newbie

Thank you for the info! The issue is both indoors and around the office area, there are spots in the building where I can access the web and places not. I was able to connect to music website such as Pandora and Slacker before without needing 3 bars. I have between 1 to 2 bars and I was able to connect.

• 9. Re: What does Extended mean
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Dena4112,

Unfortunately, while services may work under those conditions, it's not guaranteed to work with a weak signal.  Question, do you have access to Wifi at your office by any chance?  If so, just connect to your office's Wifi and you should have full data functionality.  This of course does depend on the stability of the Wifi network itself, but may be a temporary solution to you.

To be clear...  The strength of your signal hasn't changed, just the functionality under the same circumstances, correct?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points