5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2012 3:37 PM by m-davis RSS

Wrong time set on connected phone(s)

m-davis Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

For reference, the phone I use connected to my Sprint Phone Connect is the Panasonic KX-TG6442. This is a so-called "DECT 6.0" phone system, with two handsets. (The handsets are wireless, and communicate with the single base unit.) The phone displays Caller ID data when available. More often than not, when I receive an incoming call, the time on the connected phone(s) is set incorrectly. Since this doesn't happen with my Sprint cell phone, and it didn't happen with the Panasonic system when connected to a conventional phone line, I can only assume a bug in the Phone Connect. It's as if the Phone Connect is mangling the time data sent as a part of the Caller ID. Anyone else...? Any fixes? I have reset the Phone Connect a number of time since installation in early January.

Regards,

Mike

• 1. Re: Wrong time set on connected phone(s)
    Sprint Employee

Phone connect transmits Caller ID info only - I am guessing this is why the time is off. I had a recent communication from the product manager due to another question regarding this. I do not know if they are going to update this in the future.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 2. Re: Wrong time set on connected phone(s)
    m-davis Regular Visitor

Based on my original message, I think what you meant to say is, "Phone connect receives Caller ID phone number info only..." Even so, I believe it also receives the time of an incoming call and passes this to the connected phone. The call time is a normal component of the Caller ID function, whether you also receive the caller name, or not. (I understand and accept that I will not see the caller name via Sprint's cellular network.)

Note that when I said the wrong time gets set "more often than not," that means sometimes it's actually set correctly (though even in these cases, it tends to be a minute or two behind). This would seem to indicate that the call time is being transmitted to the connected phone -- it's just that sometimes (or, in my experience, most of the time), the time sent to the connected phone is wrong. Also, just to be complete, when the the time is sent to the connected phone, it's a "fully qualified time," including the date. When it's wrong, often times it's both the date and time that is wrong; other times, just the time is wrong. So far, any incorrect time and/or date is always "behind" -- I've yet to experience the wrong date/time being set in the future. Also, it's not as if these calls are from a different time zone; I see the wrong time being set any number of hours/days behind the actual call time, even for local calls.

When I'm reviewing the call log in the phone attached to the Phone Connect, I need to have accurate times on those calls (within one minute or so of the actual time). I would consider the current behavior as a critical bug.

Regards,

Mike

• 3. Re: Wrong time set on connected phone(s)
    Sprint Employee

Since Phone Connect has launched we have seen varied results due to so many different models of phones. When I had four teenagers at home I had a separate caller id under my desk so if they deleted items from the call log on the handhelds I had the full call list. If the call history is a critical bug for you I don't have a enough information to see how widespread this characteristic is to know if it will be addressed in a future maintenance release. I can keep up with the updates and post them here but don't have a fix for you today.

Larry

• 4. Re: Wrong time set on connected phone(s)
    AwaitingModeration Silver Expert

I have the KXTG6641, which is the newer version, and you have to set the date/time on the base or the handset, or it will read out whatever the date/time the base unit has stored in it.  It is the same if it is on a POTS or the Phone Connect. I donwloaded the manual on your phone and the set up is the same for date/time, set it from any of the handsets, or the base unit, it will set it globally.

• 5. Re: Wrong time set on connected phone(s)
    m-davis Regular Visitor

I know how to set the date/time on the phone. I've done it any number of times after the Sprint Phone Connect sets it incorrectly.

Regards,

Mike

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points