This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 5:18 PM by AwaitingModeration RSS

Canceling Service

bb72 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am ready to cancel my service with Sprint but want to keep my same number.  I really don't care to deal with customer service. I just join with Sprint in December and I have had bad customer service every month.  My first bill was high so I called and they advised me that they bill a month in advance, ok, my second bill comes they mess that one up to. I spoke with customer service and I had a manager tell me that my third bill would be cheaper and told me about what it would be.  I get my third bill and it is more then what the manager told me, so again I call customer service, I speak with Mary and I explain everything again and she advised me that Sprint only charges a month in advance on the first bill.  I was told by a manager name Regina that they bill a month in advance all the time. I also asked Mary to cancel my insurance on one of my lines.  I just looked at my account and it was not removed.  So if I when I go to cancel my account can I just get my new carrier to port my number or do I have to call Sprint first?  I know there are going to be termination fees, at this point I don't care.

I also wanted to know does Sprint have the right to charge you all of the service fees like the admin fee? I know about the 911 and government fees.  I have checked with ATT, Ntelos and a few other carriers and they do not charge them. 

If I didn't have to pay them that would save me about an extra $15.00 a month.

• 1. Re: Canceling Service
    SP_Desi Valued Member

Hello bb72,

I apologize that your experience with Sprint so far has not been to your satisfaction. I understand that wireless phone bills can be somewhat confusing which in turn can lead to frustration but I assure you that we a here to assist you.

Based off your type of wireless service and your geographical location there may be Sprint surcharges, taxes, fees and other charges applied to your bill besides your regular monthly service charges. These are assessed every month by Sprint to either help defray various costs imposed on Sprint or are charges that are collected on behalf of the government. For detailed explanation on some examples of these monthly charges you can go to Sprint.com/taxesandfees. In addition, most major post paid wireless carriers do in fact charge these fees. To view Verizon’s as well as at&t’s surcharges, taxes, fees and other charges you can click on Verizon's additional charges or at&t's additional charges.

I’m sorry to hear that you were considering porting your number. We truly value your business and would not want to see you leave Sprint. We do however allow customers to port out their numbers to other service providers but it is handled by the other carrier. Do keep in mind though, that in addition to any applicable ETF’s you would be responsible for any Monthly Recurring Charges and charges through the end of your bill cycle if the account is more than 14 days from activation.

If you would like me to take a look at your previous bills and provide some clarification please feel free to send me a private message and will be happy to help out.

Thank you,

Desiree

• 2. Re: Canceling Service
    AwaitingModeration Silver Expert

bb72 wrote:

I also wanted to know does Sprint have the right to charge you all of the service fees like the admin fee? I know about the 911 and government fees.  I have checked with ATT, Ntelos and a few other carriers and they do not charge them. 

If I didn't have to pay them that would save me about an extra $15.00 a month.

You may want to check AT&T again, they do charge it, shows up on an account I have as an Other AT&T Surcharges. This is from the AT&T Contract:

Other AT&T Surcharges

A percentage based and/or flat fee that AT&T assesses on the customer that allows it to recover its costs with regard to specific government taxes or fees imposed on the Company's gross receipts, sales and/or property. Such fees include the State Telecommunications Relay Services, gross receipts surcharges, 911 access line charges, DEAF surcharges, local wireless surcharges, state infrastructure and similar surcharges, a Property Tax Allotment surcharge (applied only to Corporate Responsibility Users per assigned number; excluding Puerto Rico), a property tax surcharge variable up to $1.00 (Puerto Rico only) and other fees imposed for government purposes. The Other AT&T Surcharges are remitted by the Company to the government or used to recover costs already remitted by Company to the government, but are not mandated charges to the customer.

AT&T and VZW both charge an Admin Fee, but on your AT&T bill it is an AT&T Surcharge, and on VZW it is an Admin Fee. I would double check, my guess someone at AT&T isn't giving you the right story.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...