This discussion is locked
1 15 16 17 18 19 21 Previous Next 308 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 3:03 PM by dshoem01 Go to original post RSS
  • 240. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    djallynrules Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

From Computer World:

The devices included in this initial 4.0.4 rollout notably do not include the CDMA version of the Nexus S, known as the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. That device, despite being a Nexus product, is still on the Gingerbread version of Android and has yet to receive any Ice Cream Sandwich-level upgrade. The rollout also does not include the 3G/4G version of the Xoom, which is still on a pre-ICS platform, or the LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus -- better known to those of us in the U.S. as the Verizon Galaxy Nexus -- which is currently on the 4.0.2-level build of the Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

So what does this tell us?  [...]  I was told a couple of weeks ago that we'd see our upgrade in a "few weeks" only to find that Google is NOT upgrading us right now.  Instead, we are now being told "in the coming weeks".

Sheese.  Done with it NOW.  Been on my Blackberry for a week now because it actually makes phone calls and doesn't go dead two or three times a day.

Never again.  The phone has been up on Craigslist for three days now for $40.  Nobody wants it.

Message was edited by: mapesy

• 241. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    pl82 Valued Member

LO and Behold., I got proof that the ball is on the operator side now. Sprint has to give Google the GO for the 4.0.4 OTA!!!

pic.png

• 242. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

pl82 wrote:

LO and Behold., I got proof that the ball is on the operator side now. Sprint has to give Google the GO for the 4.0.4 OTA!!!

pic.png

Actually, the person asking JBQ about the update referred to GT-I9020A which is the GSM version of the Nexus S, our version is SPH-D720.

• 243. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    pl82 Valued Member

Yes I know, but JBQ is being general on that statement. The ATT and Sprint OTA are waiting Operator Approval.

• 244. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    techguy379 Valued Member

Google has to wait for Sprint to send them the radio and for Samsung to send them the hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G phone. Once Google has the radio and hardware drivers from Sprint and Samsung then the update is pushed directly from Google to the Nexus S 4G phone.

• 245. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    motostunna Regular Visitor

I learned this a LONG TIME ago, NEVER buy a Samsung phone and expect a timely update because IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. And why is everybody getting all bent out of shape because you bought a "pure google" expererience phone? Did you actually think a sales person would tell you what you didn't want to hear or something. Yes the wait sucks but for the love of God do some research first before you stroll into a Sprint store and listen to them SELL you a phone you know nothing about. And switching carriers isnt going to do you any good because the next store you walk into they will more than likely do the same exact thing. Phones i recommend getting for timely updates( that i have used before) HTC, Motorola, & Apple. Every time i had a phone using those brands the updates came right on time.

Another thing of course Sprint is going to step in the way of an update. Firmwares are not like hats they're not one size fits all, if software companies made something for your PC or MAC and didnt test on both OS and just sent them out there would be a mod of angry people out there. So it could go two ways if you want it to..... Sprint just rolls out the update and when it hits your phone it ***** your phone up then you have a 400$ brick because "you just want your update" OR Sprint can step in the middle and say let us test this first on this device make sure everything is a GO and we can roll it out.

jon4lakers, phonedog, mobileburn <<<< subscribe to those youtube channels they WILL help you out a bunch.

• 246. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    MeatMan69 Expert

Thank you! You are exactly correct and this has all been stated to all concerned[...]

• 247. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    MIKEASH007 Regular Visitor

I don't understand what you mean by "waiting" to send them radio and hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G? Is that something like me "WAITING" for the ICS update, for which I have been "waiting" for months! And Sprint must have had access to the ICS update and plenty of time to get the drivers to the appropriate parties and "TEST" this software. My opinion is they are holding back in hopes you'll throw out your Nexus S 4G and purchase their latest phone with the ICS already installed and have to resign for another 2 year contract...

In the mean time they're just agitating and losing customers, good business sense to me...

• 248. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Google has to wait for Sprint to send them the radio and for Samsung to send them the hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G phone. Once Google has the radio and hardware drivers from Sprint and Samsung then the update is pushed directly from Google to the Nexus S 4G phone.

Lemme get this straight.  Google doesn't have the radio and hardware drivers that they've used to push the previous versions of the operating systems on a phone with their name on it?  Seriously?

Let's assume that is the case.  WHY, pray tell, is Sprint waiting then?

But we know this isn't the case, because there are brave souls here who have already rooted their phones and installed the IMM26 version of ICS on their phones.

I keep getting back to the obvious here:  Sprint needs to come clean and tell its customers what it is doing.  NOT doing so only alienates people.

• 249. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    techguy379 Valued Member

@djallynrules - The radio used on Sprint's Android 2.3.7 build doesn't work properly on ICS. I've tested it with the AOSP version of ICS 4.0.3 before Google stopped supporting CDMA phones. If you're in a 4G WiMAX coverage area and you leave a Nexus S 4G phone on too long the phone will lose its 4G signal and indicate that it is connected to 3G. In reality it's not connected to the cell phone network at all. This is evidenced by the error message the stock ICS web browser gives stating it can't load whatever web page you are trying to load and the fact that the phone won't make phone calls. This issue was documented on the XDA forums.

• 250. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    zatoichiblack Regular Visitor

Hey Guys and Girls,

Here is the latest 4.04 leaked download and instructions on how to download. I just did it and works great. Note: This is not the 4.04 version from Feb but the new 4.04 that was just release and this is the Nexus S 4g version

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/164922-odin-ics-4-0-4-nexus-s-4g-ics-4-0-4-leaked-official.html

• 251. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

@techguy379:

This has got to be the most logical information about this that I've seen yet.  It might also explain the issues that I've had with my Nexus S 4G on Android 2.3.7.  My phone does exactly what you described without ICS.  It has already been replaced three times, and the last time I took it into the Sprint repair center, they told me to wait for ICS to come out because that would fix it.  This is why I have been so upset about all of this.  I cannot use the phone right now because I can't rely on it.  It is in its box here in my desk drawer while I use my old Blackberry instead.

From what you are saying, this pretty much indicates that ICS will NOT fix my problem after all, and that the phone I have here in the drawer is just an expensive mistake.

One way or the other, I am going to wait until April 15th (a date I arbitrarily picked based on Endgadget's prediction a couple of weeks ago about it being "a few weeks".  If nothing has changed by that time, I am just going to find another alternative that does work for me.

• 252. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    techguy379 Valued Member

Actually, the leaked Sprint IMM26 build included a new radio that fixed the problem I mentioned. I'm sure the newer leaked Sprint IMM76 build will only make things even better yet.

• 253. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G
    iVoidWarranties Regular Visitor

I got tired of waiting and flashed IMM76D this morning.  It definitely looks like release quality.  Stable, fast- very smooth.

The 4G seems to be very stable in my home (it used to come and go on gingerbread).  I'm heading to work in an hour where I get good 4G coverage outside but none inside, I'll see if there's any improvement there. 

Either way, everything  is at least equal to or better than gingerbread.  If you can follow the (incredibly easy) instructions then I would say give it a shot.  There's no need to root or do anything complicated- just install odin and flash the 3 files.

• 254. Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

There's no need to root or do anything complicated- just install odin and flash the 3 files.

I thought this IS rooting.

I just tried to follow the instructions and cannot seem to get into the "Download Mode"  All I get is "Unlock bootloader?" along with all of the warnings, and no choices of yes or no.  No buttons, no nothing.  In fact, the only way to get out of that screen is to take the battery out.

1 15 16 17 18 19 21 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...