This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2012 12:33 PM by GeekOfTexas RSS

HTC Evo 4G Charging Problems

LJudkins21 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have an HTC Evo 4G phone that I have had since May of 2010. Everything with the phone has been going smoothly unitl recently. I have started experiencing issues with charging the phone. I still have the original charger that came with the phone. Whenever I plugged it in, nothing would happen. I thought it was just the charger since the one i have at work still worked. I went out and bought a brand new charger but still had the same issue. When I plugged it into the charger at work, same issue. As well as the one in the car. Eventually I tried to place something on the charger cord to see if that work and miracolously it did.

The issue now is that when the phone has a full charge it will shut off. When I turn the phone back on the battery power is dead. It would take a matter of minutes between taking it off the charger and 10 mins later it will shut off. After reading numerous discussions on the forum it looks like this a common issue. I think it can either be the battery or the charge port. If its something as simple as the battery thats fine but if its gonna require me sending this off to get repaired and paying some odd dollars to get a replacement refurbished phone then I dont think so. Im at the point of chucking the sucker across the room and going back to my blackberry. Its funny how all of this is happening now when my contract expires next month.

What should i do?

• 1. Re: HTC Evo 4G Charging Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

to be honest it sounds like your battery is on its last leg. i traded out my battery about 5ish months ago..it was draining alot faster than normal..gotta remember that the battery is quite a bit old..not to mention how many times it has been recharged since you purchased it back in may 2010. if you plan on keeping this phone for a while longer i would hop onto maybe amazon and bump it up to a larger battery..im rolling with the 3500 and depending on phone usage (mainly how many games i play and for how long) i can go a day and a half usually.

• 2. Re: HTC Evo 4G Charging Problems
    Draven3c Newbie

I have had the same issue with the charger.  I have taken back three EVOs because as it turned out each one of them has had a charging port go bad. They would stop charging and eventually like yourself placed something heavy enough on the cord near the port so my phone would charge.   I don't know exactly what caused the issue but all of them had the charging port come loose and stop working.  I'm on my fourth EVO now and I am already seeing signs of the charging port going bad as well.  It could be coincidence or it could be me, I really don't know but I consider myself an average user and I take care of my phone as best as I can.  I don't drop them or mistreat them.  Quite frankly I'm tired of going back to the Sprint repair store.  Not sure if your battery issue is related but it's worth looking into it.  Mine wouldn't stop charging at full charge though.  Hope it helps.

• 3. Re: HTC Evo 4G Charging Problems
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert

Go to a store. As long as there is no damage to the port, it will most likely be a free replacement with TEP. Without TEP, it would be $35. However, I have seen mixed results with people going to a store. Some have had no issues whatsoever. Some receive a lot of push back. Find a corporate store at sprintstorelocator.com and push your case if need be.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points