This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 12:46 PM by KNEUMANN2000 RSS

HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue

ShanaFK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I recently upgraded the HTC Evo (this is my second Evo because I lilke it so much.  Whenever I answer an incoming call, the speaker phone turns on automatically.  And, whenever I'm talking on the phone, the speaker phone continues to turn on even if I move to the home screen so the speaker phone button is not accessible (e.g., so my cheek doesn't hit the button by accident).  This is so frustrating because I'm constantly trying to shut off the speaker phone while trying to have a conversation.  Is this phone defective?????

Is there a way to turn off the automatic speaker upon answering a call?

Is there a reason the phone continues to go to speaker phone during phone calls?

My previous phone did not do this.

Please help.

• 1. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

Have you downloaded any apps on your phone that do anything with your calls?  I know voice recorder has an option to automatically answer the phone with speaker phone. Have you hooked up a Bluetooth headset to your phone?  I've seen this affect the phone as well.

• 2. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    ShanaFK Newbie

No.  I actually had to purchase a bluetooth headset to avoid the speaker switching on and off.  It's uncomfortable so I hate using it.  So now I'm back to trying to figure this out.

• 3. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

I'm sure you have, but just to make sure, have you pulled the battery out for a minute or so and power it back on?  I always try to avoid it, but given the circumstances, a factory reset is looking to be the most logical approach to resolve this.

• 4. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    ShanaFK Newbie

I haven't.  I will do this and let you know if it works!  Thank you.

• 5. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    cefaluno Regular Visitor

Unfortunately the built in speakers are weak and blow out easily. Mine have been replaced twice under warranty.

• 6. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

There's no default option that I'm aware of that should prompt the phone to automatically activate speakerphone when begining a call. There is a pre-installed app called Car Panel that I believe can enable speakerphone. Open Car Panel, hit menu and go to the Settings. Make sure 'auto-launch' is off. Also, go to Home > Menu > Settings > Accessibility and make sure accessibility isn't enabled. Other than those two possibilities, I only suspect third party apps prompting this issue. Do you have any apps that control the phone volume or in-call functions?

By the way, speaker durability, mentioned by cefaluno, should not have any bearing on your issue as your problem is most likely software related. A good old factory reset should most definitely fix this issue, but I would try to identify the problem before attempting such.

-Donnie

• 7. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    cefaluno Regular Visitor

Sorry about that, I read the first post too quickly and misread it. I agree, more of a software/firmware issue rather than hardware. Hopefully a reboot or reset will help. But failure of  the built in speaker is a common problem.

• 8. HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    fireguy_6364 Master

agreed. mine has lasted quite a while now...but alas im due for a new speaker...which i just need to get the time to take it in and have them swap it out.

• 9. Re: HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    eggo19 Newbie

If the problem is still happening im sorry. i called the insurance company and they told me to take the battery out and hold the power on button for 15 seconds and then put the battery back in and power it on.. the speaker phone should not turn on again... It worked for me and i have not had it happen to me again.

• 10. Re: HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    danspcc Newbie

When your phone was plugged into the car charger, your phone thinks it is in CAR PANEL mode even through it is not.  To force it out of this mode, even if your phone says that it isn't on is to plug your phone into a computer.  Select mount as DISK DRIVE.  Once that is done, just make a call.  If it worked, your speaker will not automatically turn on.  Pull the USB cord out of your phone.  Wait for it to prepare your SD card.  Make another call again.  Again, if it worked your speaker will not turn on.  I hope this helps.

• 11. Re: HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    MGman61 Expert

This is a know problem on many EVOs. It's still debatable whether it is a software or hardware issue, but yes, your phone "thinks" it is in car panel mode. Mine started doing it all of a sudden but I've just been hitting the button to take it off speakerphone everytime I make or take a call.  Tried once to fix it with no sucess.

The other part that goes with this issue is having no volume control when using earbuds to listen to music. It stays at a fixed level.

• 12. Re: HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    MrSpeedBump Newbie

I had my EVO for several months without this issue. I did a factory reset (due to issues with mail/memory) and now the Car Panel randomly comes up. I never know when I get a call or make a call, if the speakerphone will be on or off.

The latest time Car Panel popped up was while I was listening to music laying in bed. The ear buds went full volume, just like stated above. The volume control does not affect the actual ear bud volume.

It does appear connecting to the computer has turned it off.....for now at least. Thank you!

• 13. Re: HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    MGman61 Expert

danspcc wrote:

your phone thinks it is in CAR PANEL mode even through it is not.  To force it out of this mode, even if your phone says that it isn't on is to plug your phone into a computer.  Select mount as DISK DRIVE.  Once that is done, just make a call.  If it worked, your speaker will not automatically turn on.  Pull the USB cord out of your phone.  Wait for it to prepare your SD card.  Make another call again.  Again, if it worked your speaker will not turn on.

This doesn't do anything for my issue. I've tried this and much more but my EVO stays stuck with speaker mode on automatically whenever I make or receive a call. Actually the act of making or receiving a call kicks into speaker mode as you can hear it "pop" in and look and see the screen notification saying speaker mode is on. I just know it's an extra step I have to take every single time to hit speaker mode back to off.

• 14. Re: HTC EVO Speaker Phone Issue
    KNEUMANN2000 Newbie

I got mine to start working by doing the following:

1. Open  Car Panel go to Menu/Settings

2. Disable Auto-Launch

3. Restart the phone.  This fix doesn't work until you Restart the phone.

4. Confirm it is fixed.

I hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points