This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 2:08 PM by IowaHawkFan RSS

Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA

IowaHawkFan Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

The last 4 days have been really bad. The speed has really dropped. This was supposedly fixed a few months ago. This is frustrating.

• 1. Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

IowaHawkFan, Could you please provide me with the nearest cross streets and zipcode of the location you are having issues at. Please for privacy reasons do not post your home address.

• 2. Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA

C Ave and Blairs Ferry RD NE. 52402

• 3. Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Sprint Employee

I show continued data usage in the area and we have a scheduled upgrade to data capacity - I can see that due to capacity the speeds are slower than normal. There aren't any towers down or tickets open - it is just congestion

T1 EVDOApproved--5/29/2012

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 4. Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA

So will this congestion get worse or is there a plan to fix it? 3G has been really slow the last weeks. This was a problem before and it took over six months for them to fix it before. I have been with Sprint 12+ years but I am about ready to say the higher cost to switch will be worth it if I can get reliable service somewhere else.

• 5. Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    XDvandalDJ Regular Visitor

Is May 29th seriously when it's scheduled to get upgraded?

If so how can we be compensated for the inconvienance of the next 3 months of this.unusuable network?

Unless something drastically improves I'm switching carries when my contract is up in May.

• 6. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Iowa680 Newbie

There are also severely downgraded to no/slow 3g coverage and sometimes I roam in Coralville Iowa 52241, 9th st, and 23rd ave area to 2nd st and 23rd ave (This is a one block radius) I have walked around the block and dropped calls being outside. Also, do not get me started on the "Network Busy" error I often get. The corner of 9th st and 23rd ave is a high point while 2nd st and 23rd ave is a low point. I have an HTC Evo. It seems Sprint is getting away with the bare minimum coverage in the area to offer service. I have called this in several times and the agent always does the same thing... "Well when I look at the coverage map you are all green" So I guess they were all paying attention that day in class on how to dismiss a customer. I have been with Sprint for several years, and my current contract is up in June. I want the iPhone, but I do not want to fork over all that money for a phone that won't work where I'll be using it most. Please strengthen the coverage in this area.

• 7. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA

I'm so sick of this. I've been with Sprint a very long time. I WANT OUT. What am I paying for? It's not even dial up speed. I can barley use any of my apps. Tango tells me my network is too slow. Great job Sprint. I'm leaving as fast as I can. Your advertsing is false.

• 8. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    thetallestmanonearth Newbie

Yep, Sprint is officially worthless in the Cedar Rapids area. I've been with Sprint for almost two years. I started off with a Blackberry Curve with the Everything Data plan. The data speeds were very poor, but I figured it was just because I was on a Blackberry Curve. About six months ago I upgraded the BB to an HTC Evo 4G and extended my contract for two years. Why? Because the Sprint employee told me this would solve my data issues and I'd finally be able to do what I've been paying for. Oh, but I have to pay additional $10 premium data fee for this phone each month. That was fine, as long as I would be getting what was advertised.

Nope. It's been worthless ever since and they keep saying they will fix it but they haven't. I can't even stream a single low quality audio track from Spotify or Pandora, let alone watch any video or anything else. The employees at the Sprint store told me yesterday that the towers are too bogged down with users and can't handle the data and it's been like that for over a year now. And that was that. I was expected to accept that, keep paying them for no service and walk away. I called Sprint and they gave me the "We're showing "green", meaning the data towers are working in your area". But obviously that is not the point and they know that. They refused to offer anything to get me to stay with Sprint even though I'd been paying for months and months of premium data service that I haven't been able to use, which they even looked up and saw that I'd been using almost no data at all. They honestly expect me to keep paying $80 per month for this service until they fix their issuese which have been going on for over a year now. Mind boggling. Even though the Sprint employees admitted the service was not what Sprint advertises. I am unable to use most of the app's on my Evo because of this.

So yeah, I will be leaving Sprint and most likely switch to US Cellular or Verizon. It's a little extra, but, uh, their services, uh, WORK. I'm paying a lot of money right now for absolutely nothing. Not to mention the Spotify premium, Hulu Plus, and Netflix accounts I am (was) paying for that I was not able to use beause of the Sprint data speeds. Absolutely unreal, this company. Attention Cedar Rapids: you are being scammed. Plain and simple.

• 9. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Iowa680 Newbie

Perhaps we need to explore a class-action lawsuit against Sprint. Why do we pay $10 for "enhanced data? " Can't wait till June to drop Sprint!

• 10. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    gizzy21 Newbie

I guess  everybody has the same problem. I been with sprint for ever and the 3g data out here in upstate NY is also worthless is not my phone because is brand new and prior to this one, I had 2 other Android phones and the problem was the same.  There is no excuse for the slow speeds it does not matter where I am the 3g is just ridiculous slow to the point on where I don't even bother trying to check my email or what ever else because I got so frustrated shame on sprint.

• 11. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    jason22381 Regular Visitor

my data is also slow here in allentown pennsylvania 18103

• 12. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    iphony Regular Visitor

well they've kept telling me it would be fixed May 29th since the beginning of January (i'm in Iowa City, IA) and the escalation department said that they would "possibly" talk to me about compensation then... aka we aren't gonna compensate you at all. This is just sad I was scammed into renewing my contract for an additional 2 years for an iPhone... my extremely short trial period was horrible and I was promised the network would be fixed in the next few days by countless reps... "There appears to be an outage in your area (aka the majority of america)... don't worry I assure you it will be fixed in the next few days there are just so many people getting new phones at the same time." To be over capacity is one thing but to make customers pay when they can't use the service well that's robbery. They have 2 more months if its not fixed by then several complaints will be filed with BBB FCC and whoever else

• 13. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    patmacpro Regular Visitor

how slow is it, I'm on AT&T fake 4G, I.m only getting 0.10mbpsImage 2.jpgImage 1.jpg 

• 14. Re: Slow data (3G) in Cedar Rapids, IA
    FLUFFYTOMAHAWK Newbie

I also reside here in Cedar Rapids, and am lucky to get 30 kbps. I can't even open web pages the 3G is so slow. I'm thinking about canceling my contract and switching- no point in paying for nothing.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...