1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 10:22 AM by garwynn Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

JTMax wrote:

Clear has nothing to do with Sprint's deployment of LTE. Sprint is deploying LTE on its own towers. However, word is that after Clear deploys their own LTE, the two may have service agreements with each other... which would be fantastic for us!

Really? Didn't sprint rely on Clear to help push out Wimax starting in 2007 which they never finished (thought I read that somewhere)?  If Sprint looks to Clear again to help expand its LTE coverage I hope Clear can step up to the plate this time around.

Sprint, Intel, Google Time-Warner, and other invested in Clear (Sprint contributed spectrum as well) to deply Wimax as it was the only viable option at the time to get 4G out quickly. Clear not only provided wholesale 4G service to Sprint, it also attempted to provide retail service and opened up a bunch of stores and kiosks. Then the money ran out, execs left the company, and retail operations were closed. Clear still provides wholesale service to Sprint and is also developing contracts with other retail providers. They have also said they are converting to LTE.

Sprint still owns about 50% of Clear. But Sprint is updating all of its own towers and including LTE as part of Network Vision. It is NOT dependent on Clear.

You may find the following article of interest:

Why Clearwire needs Sprint now more than ever

• 16. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    9erHater Regular Visitor

Sprint signed an agreement with Clearwire for Wimax network access through 2015.

• 17. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    JTMax Valued Member

GeekOfTexas wrote:

JTMax wrote:

Clear has nothing to do with Sprint's deployment of LTE. Sprint is deploying LTE on its own towers. However, word is that after Clear deploys their own LTE, the two may have service agreements with each other... which would be fantastic for us!

Really? Didn't sprint rely on Clear to help push out Wimax starting in 2007 which they never finished (thought I read that somewhere)?  If Sprint looks to Clear again to help expand its LTE coverage I hope Clear can step up to the plate this time around.

Sprint, Intel, Google Time-Warner, and other invested in Clear (Sprint contributed spectrum as well) to deply Wimax as it was the only viable option at the time to get 4G out quickly. Clear not only provided wholesale 4G service to Sprint, it also attempted to provide retail service and opened up a bunch of stores and kiosks. Then the money ran out, execs left the company, and retail operations were closed. Clear still provides wholesale service to Sprint and is also developing contracts with other retail providers. They have also said they are converting to LTE.

Sprint still owns about 50% of Clear. But Sprint is updating all of its own towers and including LTE as part of Network Vision. It is NOT dependent on Clear.

You may find the following article of interest:

Why Clearwire needs Sprint now more than ever

I actaully posted that exact article in another discussion so I know about that one.  If you look at the details of it you'll see that while Sprint wouldn't be completely out of commision if Clear failed it wouldn't be very happy and it would set Sprint back in the PR department (something they truely cannot aford right now):

With a 49 percent voting share (54 percent ownership stake), bankruptcy would have been inconvenient and might have presented some PR challenges for Sprint, but not been lethal for Sprint.

Also, this statement in the article tells me Sprint has quite a bit of interest in Clear doing well:

Clearwire has even been able to persuade Wall Street and Sprint to invest billions more in it.

While I believe you are correct in saying Sprint isn't dependent on Clear I do believe it would be extremely painful if Clear was no longer in the picture.

Just my two cents.

• 18. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    HaveaGalaxy Newbie

I believe the Sprint Wimax service will continue into 2014-15. Sprint will be selling 4G wimax devices throughout 2012 an honor those contracts with Wimax service until those 2 year contracts end. After that I would think that the LTE transition would be almost complete. I don't think Sprint would shut those Wimax towers down so quickly, there is still a lot of money to be made with that service. If I just brought a Wimax capable phone such as the Samsung Galaxy SII (epic 4g touch) or Evo 3D, I wouldn't worry about losing service for a good while. I wouldn't have said all of this without doing my research, soooooo check this article: http://an.droid-life.com/2011/12/01/sprint-and-clearwire-close-to-1-billon-deal-extending-wimax-coverage-a-few-more-years/

• 19. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    JTMax Valued Member

wantanexus wrote:

I believe the Sprint Wimax service will continue into 2014-15. Sprint will be selling 4G wimax devices throughout 2012 an honor those contracts with Wimax service until those 2 year contracts end. After that I would think that the LTE transition would be almost complete. I don't think Sprint would shut those Wimax towers down so quickly, there is still a lot of money to be made with that service. If I just brought a Wimax capable phone such as the Samsung Galaxy SII (epic 4g touch) or Evo 3D, I wouldn't worry about losing service for a good while. I wouldn't have said all of this without doing my research, soooooo check this article: http://an.droid-life.com/2011/12/01/sprint-and-clearwire-close-to-1-billon-deal-extending-wimax-coverage-a-few-more-years/

This would be great and I would be fine with my phone and Wimax if I was able to get Wimax.  Unfortunately for me Sprint told us Wimax was coming to our town and they tricked us by putting a few towers here but that was it.  So, I'm stuck with 3g for another year an a half

• 20. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    fireguy_6364 Master

then in your case upgrading to one of the newer LTE phones wouldnt be a bad thing...for the time being until you get LTE in your area you'll still be only running on 3G anyways...only reason i would hold off is if you travel to any cities that DO actually have 4G wimax...at least then you can actually use it. personally i only travel to 4G cities a couple times a year..so im jumping to the LTE phone..

• 21. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    JTMax Valued Member

Personally for me I need to see Sprint get their act together here in Tallahassee before I commit to signing another contract with them.  With the slow deployment of Wimax it worries me that the same thing will happen with LTE.  They did get a couple of Wimax towers here but you have to be practically right underneath them to get a good signal from it and because there are only a few towers I don't get Wimax at home or work or my general side of town I commute in.  Verizon already has LTE here and ATT has had its version of 4g (HSPA+) here for a while now so its hard to understand why myself and other Sprint customers here are still waiting...

Dear Sprint,

Can you please include MY town when you roll out LTE?

Sincerely,

Loyal "Need For Speed" Customer  (for now)

• 22. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

I understand your frustration.  However, many of us came from AT&T (awful, dropped calls a messed up billing and more expensive) and Verizon is just too expensive.  For our company they are almost 40% higher.  We use the phone mainly for voice but when data is needed being in a sprint 3G area is not pleasant.  I too hope LTE rollout is fast.

Cheers,

• 23. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

The LTE rollout is performed hand in hand with the Network Vision relaunch of our 3G network. It is currently on schedule to be completed netionwide by the end of 2013. A few areas have already been announced, but I don't remember which ones off the top of my head, the information was posted in a blog post here in the Community.

• 24. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

The Atlanta area is one of the announced initial locations so I hope it gets done sooner rather than later. 

Cheers,

• 25. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    JTMax Valued Member

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

The LTE rollout is performed hand in hand with the Network Vision relaunch of our 3G network. It is currently on schedule to be completed netionwide by the end of 2013. A few areas have already been announced, but I don't remember which ones off the top of my head, the information was posted in a blog post here in the Community.

Here is some recent information on LTE rumored coverage:

Sprint map shows 4G LTE coverage plans for 2014

• 26. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    fireguy_6364 Master

so much for 2013 lol

• 27. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    JTMax Valued Member

You know that old saying, "Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get"

• 28. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    fireguy_6364 Master

its a safe bet i'll be getting a box of "well after 2013" lol

• 29. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G and LTE
    Orumus Newbie

Just to be clear the SGSII Epic 4g Touch does NOT support LTE as stated on samsungs own product spec sheet here http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SPH-D710ZKASPR-specs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...