1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 12:00 PM by TonyKleinhans Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RVMNJ Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I had issues with my new iPhone 4S and when I first tried to text. After I rebooted my Airave it started working. Just thought I would let anyone know it might work for you.

• 16. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    concertnancer Newbie

I got an iPhone 4s when it first came out. Cell signal is a bit spotty at my house, so I got an Airave Airvana. It worked fine for a couple months.

Then it quit working. For about a month, unplugging and replugging the Airave worked.

Now the Airave mostly doesn't work. (It actually worked yesterday, but today it doesn't work again.)

I tried doing a 30/30/30 reset. No luck.

According to the Sprint Airave coverage map, I should have excellent service. When I call *99, I get the message, "The feature code you've entered is not valid. Message 1, Switch 694."

Does anyone know what this means?

Does anyone have any suggestions to get my Airave to work with my iPhone?

• 17. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    PhysicsGuru Expert

concertnancer, when you call *99 and you hear "the feature code you've entered is not valid." that means your iPhone is currently not connecting through the airave and is instead connecting directly to Sprint. If you tried resetting the airave and that still doesn't get your iPhone to connect to it you might try creating a "whitelist" the tells your airave which devices are authorized to connect to it. I've heard that helps sometimes. You can set up a whitelist on MySprint > My Device and Media (or Preferences) > (I want to...) Update my Airave > Restrict Access or you can call airave tech support at 888-556-7310. I am not trained to troubleshoot airave devices, but our dedicated team at the previously mentioned number should be able to help.

I was just informed that whitelisting is not longer a supported feature of the airave. If restarting the airave doens't fix the issue, I recommend you contact our dedicated airave support team at 888.556.7310.

Message was edited by: PhysicsGuru

• 18. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RJKinsman Newbie

Thanks, dialing *99 solved my problem, at least for now! I don't know why Sprint support didn't at least have me try this, instead of all the other stuff they did before finally telling me that iPhone 4s is sometimes not compatible with Airave!

• 19. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello RJKinsman, *99 does not fix anything, it's only meant to allow you to determine if you are, or are not connected through the airave there must be another factor involved, like transient network conditions, you may have recently reset the modem/router, or airave. you may also want to try powering your phone off/on if you have trouble in the future, and check your internet connection to ensure at the time that you meet these five stats : download speed > 1Mbps, Upload > 350 Kbps, Quality of service >80%, packet loss < 1%, and Jitter < 5 ms. please let me know if you would like more information, or if you need help.

• 20. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    citybett1 Valued Member

For everyone reading this that has problems with their Airave, see if the symptoms match what I'm running into in this thread.  

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/87873?start=0&tstart=0

• 21. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RJKinsman Newbie

OK, thanks, RC1024.  So, it sounds like you're saying it was pure coincidence. 

For several hours, every time I tried to make an outgoing call, I got a message, "We are unable to complete your call at this time."  This only happened on my iPhone.  Another phone on my line, a Palm Pre, worked just fine.  I reset the Airave twice, once by pressing the reset button, and then by pulling the power cord.  The technician reconfigured the Arive Device remotely.  I waited for over 40 minutes while the device was refreshed remotely.  Still no results.  I took my iPhone offline, then online.  I reset my iPhone completely (holding down home and power until it reset).  Nothing.  Then I found this tip on the forum, to dial *99, and suddenly it worked.  Some coincidence.

By the way, if this incompatibility with iPhone is not resolved, I will have to terminate my 11-year business relationship with Sprint.  I'm not happy about that, but my home is my workplace, and my phone is my lifeline.

• 22. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RJKinsman Newbie

Thanks, citybett1, interesting thread.  My symptoms are a little different.  It works fine for another phone, but not for my iPhone, which is the one I use for business.  When I try to make a call, I get a message.  In your thread, it seems to just drop with no error.

• 23. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    citybett1 Valued Member

Actually, that pretty much sums up my experience RJKinsman.   Some phones work sometimes, then suddenly they don't anymore.  While some are working, others don't work.  It's seemingly random which phones work and which don't on any given day.  Frequently outgoing calls if they do manage to connect to the Airave at all receive the message, "We are unable to complete your call at this time, message 12, switch 1287" (sometimes switch 1288).  It's detailed more at the end page #3 of my thread.

• 24. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RJKinsman Newbie

Hmm, thanks.  I didn't read your thread closely enough.  Very frustrating. 

Well, now the question in my mind is, would another carrier, say Verizon, be any better?  I'd hate to go through the trouble of switching, which I really do not want to do, only to find that I'm having the same kind of trouble with them.

The other consideration for me, anyway, is that becuase of my problem, and, I think, my long-term status with Sprint, they provided the Airave at no additional charge.  Not sure if Verizon or AT&T would be so generous to a brand new customer.

Just thinking out loud... frustrated... very frustrated...

• 25. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    citybett1 Valued Member

That's a tough question RJKinsman.  I think the only way you would know would be to get demo phones or something from other carriers and actually test them out for your use.  In my area for example, the in-building coverage varies widely amongst all of the carriers, mostly dependent on where they have towers located.  Each carrier's network is built differently, so Sprint phones may have poor signal in your house while some other carrier has excellent signal in your house. 

Some of the coverage issues with Sprint may get resolved when they implement Network Vision in your area, which is basically Sprint is going through and overhauling every tower which should increase capacity and coverage (in theory anyway).  But depending on where you live, it may be quite a ways off.  Sprint is working on Network Vision in Chicago right now for example, but other areas of the country you may be waiting until 2nd/3rd quarter of 2013 for Network Vision in your area.

Here's a link that might shed some more light on the subject for you.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/13/sprints-1900mhz-network-vision-is-nice-but-the-800mhz-rollout-will-drop-your-jaw/

• 26. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    RJKinsman Newbie

Thanks, citybett1, that is very helpful.  Luckily, I happen to be in the Chicago area.  It's probably pure coincidence, but the Airave support tech told me the nearest tower to my location was down, and would be back up in a few days. 

So I have a user-type question, still being fairly new to using Airave (about three months).  When I make a call, if I get the "three beeps," it's my understanding that that indicates that I am connected to the Airave.  Is it that simple, or could it be that I'm switching between the Airave and that regular tower in my area?  I'm starting to think that in reality I've been connecting to that outside tower, and that I started having trouble when that tower went down.

For now, I can be known as... "Confused in Chicago"

• 27. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    FOGGmyster Newbie

One solution that i'm not sure if anyone had tried blocking the iPhone (or whatever phone u don't want to use the Airave) thru the airave settings. U can either restrict use of a specific phone/phone number OR just allow use to the phone/numbers that u want. I have a motorola photon, epic 4g touch (s2)&amp; iPhone 4s and the iPhone doesn't seem to connect anyway. But with the photon and the s2 I have occasionally blocked one or the other because I didn't feel like dealing with the text and browsing problems and also the fact that if u try to go from airave to a regular mobile network u drop the call which makes no sense to me.

But just a thought for u to try... The allow/restrict option that the airave offers.

• 28. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    citybett1 Valued Member

Hi RJKinsman, since you're in Chicago you may be suffering from the Network Vision handoff problems between old sites and new sites, detailed here.  If the tower near you is down, it may be that they're currently replacing the equipment with new Network Vision equipment and the tower is turned off until that is completed.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-windy-city/

As for the "three beeps".  Yes from all of my experience if you get the 3 beeps then your phone is using the Airave for the call (not necessarily for EVDO data though from all of my problems I've experienced).  However, I've also found that calls pretty much never hand-off successfully from the Airvana to the Sprint tower as the documentation claims they should.  If I start a call on the Airvana (3 beeps) and then walk out of range of the Airvana into macro network coverage (Sprint tower) the call pretty much always drops. 

RJKinsman wrote:

Thanks, citybett1, that is very helpful.  Luckily, I happen to be in the Chicago area.  It's probably pure coincidence, but the Airave support tech told me the nearest tower to my location was down, and would be back up in a few days. 

So I have a user-type question, still being fairly new to using Airave (about three months).  When I make a call, if I get the "three beeps," it's my understanding that that indicates that I am connected to the Airave.  Is it that simple, or could it be that I'm switching between the Airave and that regular tower in my area?  I'm starting to think that in reality I've been connecting to that outside tower, and that I started having trouble when that tower went down.

For now, I can be known as... "Confused in Chicago"

• 29. Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave
    jjc715 Newbie

RJ:

I came across an iPhone App that compares the speed & signal strength of all three cell service providers.  You may have to do some searching on iTune App store. 

I'm "suffering the same fate" as most of you here:  Iphone 4s will not connect, whereas wife's Sanyo will.  I'm waiting for Airave support higher ups to call me with a solution.  Will let everyone know when I here from them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...