This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 8:23 AM by overkill418 RSS

Agreement / Discount on new phone...

christyree Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Apparently this is too **** difficult a question for people to understand...

I called yesterday, I am having issues with my phone, and even after taking it to the store, to be reprogrammed and what not, its still giving me issues. No use in doing anything about it because my 2 year contract/agreement is up July 1, and then we get our discounts (thank god). I know some people who were having problems with their phones, and the customer service people were able to move their upgrade to 6 weeks ahead of what it should be - but for whatever reason, she didn't wanna do it with me. But I got 2 weeks early, on June 18. Whatever, better than nothing.

My question I asked her, and the chat rep here online --- When I go to renew my agreement, and use my discount ---- BESIDES the $150 per line credit I get, do i also get the new 2 year agreement price on phones? For example, The new 2 year agreement on a HTC EVO™ 4G LTE is $199, take off the $150 for the discount, the phone out of pocket would be $49.... Correct? can someone tell me if this is correct? Do I get the new 2 year agreement + $150 per line discount when doing another 2 year?

Also - when I do this, I would be trading in my current phone, which I checked recently and it has a trade in value of about $60 that I would use towards the phone as well --- I can do that, right?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Kizzel00 Regular Visitor

Unfortunatly for you the 199 is the price with the discounts applied, it retails for $599, so you would be getting the $150 off plus an additional $250 off the phone with other instant rebates. You can trade in your phone towards the purchase of the evo, but if you would get $60 bucks for the trade then you would be paying about $140 for the phone.

• 2. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Levi4u Master

When eligible for the $150 off you get $150 off OR new customer pricing. You don't get $150 off of the advertised price. For this exact reason, Customers misunderstanding the offer, They have removed the verbiage "$150 off" and now state "2-yr Agreement savings", Which is the nationally advertised/new customer price.
    https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do

• 3. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...

So whats the point of being a continued customer, when I get treated just the same as a new customer? I thought the point of being a "valued" customer was that I get special discounts, etc, especially when I go to RENEW my agreement. This is  stupid to not offer a better deal to your repeat customers than you do a new customer.

• 4. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Kizzel00 Regular Visitor

How is it stupid? Whats stupid is that you think your entitled to some huge discounts on these phones just because you've been with them for some years??? It works exactly the same with every other cell phone company, Sprint still paid about $600 dollars for the Evo, if they just gave it away they would never make any profit, it already takes 12-13 months for them to make profit off of a phone sale anyways, or are you forgetting sprint is a buisness? and its goal is to make money?

• 5. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Regular Visitor

Renewing is actually more because you get hit with the 36$ upgrade fee while new customers are joining with no activation fee right now.  I also don't think any of the national carriers pay reetail for any phone.  You never pay retail when you sell in bulk. 

• 6. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

To christyree ~ We truly apologize for the confusion as it's certainly not intended.  The $150 discount or instant rebate is a left over from some years ago and was the only discount offered to existing customers when purchasing or upgrading a phone.  Competition has caused these discounts to grow to the level they are now, i.e. $400 off of a $600 HTC EVO 4G LTE.  The bigger discount was, for a time, only offered to new customers because in the Mobile Telecommunications Industry, new customers are the "name of the game."  All carriers try to add as many customers as possible to their base per year.  It's called gross adds or additions.  However, this dissatisfied our existing customers because how could a company give a larger discount to a customer that's never paid them anything?  We listened to our customers concerns and agreed, it wasn't really fair to our loyal customers.  So, we began offering the same discount to our existing customers as we do our new customers.  Your loyalty is exactly why you get an upgrade discount after 20 months; we want to show our appreciation and discount a new phone for you every 20 months when you chose to stay with us for another 2 years. 

Again, we apologize for the confusion,

Tom

• 7. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...

Tomdeaver - Thanks for the response, but I still don't see how its better than just being a new customer.

What is the point of having that premier title (or whatever it is supposed to be) if all I am getting is either $150 off the retail of a phone, OR paying the new customer price on a phone?

I was so excited that I was actually this close to my upgrade, because the Epic i have now sucks. It has so many issues. Even after taking it to the store to be repaired/reprogrammed. Theres no point in replacing it with the insurance since my renewal is so close. But now I gotta come up with $200 extra if I want that phone, or really, probably about $150 extra, if my current phones trade in value is still at $60. I would much rather spend that money on my baby who is due soon, but thats besides the point.

I really don't think that this is any better of a deal than new customers get. And I think that Sprint really should look into a better way to make their exsisting customers feel welcome and appreciated for returning their business to Sprint.

Another thing that just makes this worse, is that I've been with Sprint for almost 2 years now, and STILL cannot add a 3rd line (which I need now for my business, and later will need for my son, he is 8 now, but soon I'll want to add him when its time). I feel like I pay so much into sprint, between my $130 phone bill, the $30 for the hotspot (which now has changed), as well as the previous mentioned insurance. If I wanted to use the insurance on my phone, I would have to dish out $100 to replace this phone, even tho I have paid nearly $200 into it. But thats another story for another day.

• 8. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...

Kizzel00 - As someone else mentioned, no carrier pays that much for the cell phones. They pay a small fee, and then sell it for at least double what they paid for it, usually more though.
    And don't you want to be treated better than a new customer when your with a company for so long? don't you think you deserve better than a new customer? Otherwise, why even mention the $150 per line, why not just say you get new customer pricing.  There needs to be something better in place for the existing customers who are continuing to stay with Sprint.

• 9. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Troishenly Regular Visitor

to fully understand your confusion christyree, the original price of the phone, or retail price is 549.99; sprint purchased this amout to htc, which is the manufacturer of this phone; now, since the line is ready to get the upgrade (soon), you are entitled to get it with 150.00 discount; which case, in turn, the 549.99 less 150.00; then for 2 year extension or renewal of contract saves you 300.00 more; now, all you need to cash out is 199.99;

hope this helps 

• 10. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Regular Visitor

There is no way sprint pays full retail price.  They push thousands of phones and volume always lowers price.  The same with car dealers, they do not pay retail or even invoice.  There are givebacks and incentives.  Unless I actually see a purchase invoice from sprint I'm not buying the retail price line.  And, if it was true, then, how come you don't pay less for your service from sprint if you buy a phone at full retail price?

• 11. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

christyree wrote:

Kizzel00 - As someone else mentioned, no carrier pays that much for the cell phones. They pay a small fee, and then sell it for at least double what they paid for it, usually more though.
    And don't you want to be treated better than a new customer when your with a company for so long? don't you think you deserve better than a new customer? Otherwise, why even mention the $150 per line, why not just say you get new customer pricing.  There needs to be something better in place for the existing customers who are continuing to stay with Sprint.

This is incorrect. Carriers pay almost the full retail price for devices. The markup is usually less than $50 for the "retail price" compared to the wholesale price paid to the manufacturer.

• 12. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    SA_Viper43 Bronze Expert

The bottom line is that you pay $199.99 and get the new phone or you don't. What Sprint pays for the device is irrelevant.  What you pay is.

• 13. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Troishenly Regular Visitor

well the thing is, when sprint purchased a certain device(s) to a manufacturer, they sell it to consumers/customers at lowest possible cost; then, the 2 years is to help offset the cost on the device itself; and for the other cost is for the service; so i don't think that, that is unfair; because it is fair enough that sprint is still making up for the competitor to provide better customer experience; i love sprint and i love their service; 

• 14. Re: Agreement / Discount on new phone...
    Regular Visitor

If so, then how come there is not a lower price for cell phone seervice on a phone that you pay full price for.  If there is no subsidy to recoup shouldn't the serve be cheaper than if you had a subsidized phone?  Also, I think most current customers get frosted at the fact that a new customer can get out of the upgrade/activation fee, while a renewing customer can't. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points