This discussion is locked
1 3 4 5 6 7 12 Previous Next 169 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 3:15 PM by PCaudiotech Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
  • 60. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    MARIABX485 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

how the heck is evo 3D getting the ICS update before the galaxy2??? That is really ridicalous cause i gave up my 3d for the SUPPOSEABLY BETTER SAMSUNG GALAXY 2 which NOW IM SOOO DAM ****** OVER THAT....DO ANYONE KNOW WHEN SLACKER SPRINT/SAMSUNG WILL UPDATE TO ICS????? THE G3 WILL BE OUT IN VERY FEW WEEKS YET SPRINT IS THE ONLY COMPANY THAT HAS NOT UPDATED THEIR G2 TO ICS???WHATS THE DAM HOLD UP....AT&T AND VERIZON ARE OFFERING GREAT FONES AND NOW I THINK I MIGHT JUST SWITCH AFTER 9 YRS WITH SPRINT....UGHHH IM SOOO TIRED OF WAITING AND HEARING THIS COMPANY AND THAT COMPANY UPDATED TO ICS....WHAT HAPPENED SPRINT??????U JUST DONT CARE??? WHEN AND WHAT....

• 61. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    ChillinS3 Regular Visitor

I found out that our phone might get it 4th quater this year. It was pushed back since the merger of Google/Motorola Mobility was push back.

• 62. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    GRISHKIN Newbie

ChillinMoPho, where did you find about the 4th quarter plan for Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (SPH-d710) upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich?

• 63. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    AEROKEV Regular Visitor

I'm still guessing about two weeks. The developers at XDA-Developers.com have stopped releasing every single leak that comes out. Why continue working on leaks if the OTA is right around the corner? There's lots of information to be had at XDA, I've found the site very reliable. And in the case of the D710, which I use, it's been rooted and on ICS for some time.

Late edit: Note, I never intended to state that XDA or any of it's members had actual information regarding upgrade dates. What you MIGHT find regarding any given phone, is the progress and bugs related to any leaked releases. I apologize if possibly the above comment was misunderstood. I would never intentionally misrepresent the ability of the developer community there.

• 65. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    ChillinS3 Regular Visitor

This was in reference to the Motorola Photon 4G. Got this update from CNET just the other week.

• 66. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

It may be fair to mention that XDA developers has an entirely different goal than we do in this forum. Their aim is for developer/tester relationships. Our goal here is to support our customers. this means that more testing, and revising is necessary before we can consider passing along a release candidate from a manufacturer to you.

• 67. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    Guinness1971 Regular Visitor

Today I called Sprint, I need android 4.0 to run a program from my Galaxy s2 for my job. Sprint tells me, I need to send you to Samsung they do the upgrades. I call samsung and get why are you calling us you need to talk to Sprint!. Now I got 5 Galaxy S2 phones under 2 accounts to find out 2 months later the Galaxy S3 are coming out WTH! How about a date on when the ICS 4.0 will be updated for the Galaxy S2? T-mobile is June 11, 2012 for Galaxy S2 ICS...

I think us Sprint users should get together all around the world as a group! pick a date show up at your sprint stores together and make them tell us whats going on with 4G and yes the ICS update!.. I am 100% real about doing this. We need to take a stand one person alone they don't care! a few million, eyes start to open and the news will show up. Lets do this!

• 68. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    AEROKEV Regular Visitor

I concur. I have several lines and am looking forward to the OTA as well. I've been optimistic, and have spoken positively about this, but honestly I would see it as a slap in the face if Sprint didn't have the rollout begin at or very near T-Mobile's date. The release of the S3 will possibly create some churn in the marketplace. It's really up to the powers-to-be whether or not the delay is a concern. We shall see.

• 69. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

As mentioned in this discussion the ICS update is in the works. The employees in the store, and on the phone have no control what so ever in when this update is released, and only know that so far samsung, and HTC have committed to ICS update on certain models. I don't like reading that our support told you to call samsung for a software update that hasn't even been made available yet. If you would like to go into greater detail you are welcome to send me a private message. Thank you, Chris

• 70. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    frst Regular Visitor

perhaps you guys should have thought about testing your releases better than you did in january when you released an over the air update the destroyed my phone's ability for gps and network location services.  Its been 3 months since other carriers in other parts of the world have supplied their galaxy s2 users with ice cream sandwich updates.

• 71. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    jdeats76 Regular Visitor

More vauge promises. So Mr. Sprint executive, as you prepare your golden parachute from the burning ship that is YOUR COMPANY will ICS 4.0 updates come before your phantom LTE network begins "rolling out" (in deep Jack Nicholson voice). I hate you Sprint because you lie to your customers. You lie to the press. Your network is horrible. I can't really think of a company that deserves to go out of business more and I look forward to that day. You want to defend yourself? Announce a date that you actually stick to. Worthless provider.

• 72. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    Guinness1971 Regular Visitor

Told me to call, no they patched me to samsung. look at my sprint call log / pull my record, you will see what I am talking about. I like sprint, I like the fact that I don't have to pay for data use, don't get me wrong. But when I got (5) GS2's I was told by your sales men this is the phone to get! it was the best and is 100% better then Iphone. Now I find out it will not run programs I need for work, my co workers all have ICS 4.0, here I am the owner of the company and can't run my own program...please! all we ask is for a date and yes stick to that date.

I am working on getting sprint users all around the world to protest at their sprint store on the same day! anyone interested in joining this please join the site below and I will get this started. I live in Wilmington, NC, I will be happy to hold a meeting here off Market street, to get this ball rolling. I think it's time Sprint and their workers understand they don't have a company without us sprint users. Really how much are we asking for? just upgrade to ICS4.0 like every other cell company already did! and yes where is the 4G? I was told when I got my phones it should only be another month or so.. I guess it's the or so.

Anyone interested please join my Free yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintstand together we can do this!

• 73. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    sakunelaj Newbie

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything at all about techinical stuff...what is an Ice Cream Sandwich or better yet, can someone share a link so I can read about it?

• 74. Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012
    RUPAN111 Newbie

The truth is, it's a bit of a "I deserve the latest..." syndrome.

My Tablet went from Honeycomb to Iced Cream Sandwich.

That was a big nothing.

ICS behaves like Gingerbread when on a phone, like Honeycomb when on a tablet.

There are very minor user interface things which have been ironed out between them.

After seeing the jump of little or nothing on my tablet (Acer Iconia A500) i stopped really caring on my phone.

I HAD heard from an engineer May 25-29 but that passed. It's done, just not rolled out by the brass yet.

That was supposedly the final commit and testing phase dates.

To the person who's company supposedly wrote an ICS only app, congrats! It's ludicrous to do that given it's a Gingerbread market, but, good work! You wrote an app for 7% of all devices.

I'm shocked as Froyo was the BIG upgrade, getting to a much faster native java runtime compiler. After that, Gingerbread was a fix and a tweak, though a very very good one.

I actually want Honeycomb back on my tablet, the UI tweaks in tablet mode to ICS aren't to my liking. But, there's an app for that. heck, there's an app or 3 to give your android Windows Phone style LiveTiles, lol.

Everyone, if you  have Gingerbread, trust me, your sitting pretty. ICS is just, well, Icing, or Iced Cream, ontop of your desert.

Now, for us SRPINT folk, it's all about the LTE NETWORK Sprint Network Vision upgrade.

No software gives you that.

The Snapdragon S4 chip has a world radio in it and firmware sets the carrier options.

GSMArena.com lists the HTC Evo 4G LTE as LTE 800/1900, which in plain speak means it uses the current iDEN (Nextel) and CDMA (Sprint 3G) frequencies.

The LG LTE phone out only uses 1900. So, i'm going on a little faith here knowing the hardware that this years EVO 4G LTE will actually work going forward in 2013 on the LTE 800 part of Network Vision. I could give a flying hoot if it worked later on LTE 2500, which would be LTE over Clear/Clearwire's current Wimax Frequencies (WiMax dies end of this year, just so you know).

That never worked anyway. But with LTE 800 i can get signal inside a deep basement, which I miss.

So, that's why i ordered the EVO 4G LTE upgrade. It's got ICS, ho hum, But, it's got support for LTE , a slightly bigger better screen, and also trades a sweet camera sensor out for the stereoscopic toy in my current phone.

1 3 4 5 6 7 12 Previous Next