This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 1:49 PM by halcyoncmdr123 RSS

False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page

StrumerJohn Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Ugh! This was really annoying me! It's not a major issue or anything... Maybe the web dev team drank too much or something, but the Samsung Galaxy S III has a 1.5 GHz processor, not 1.2 I know you guys stated it on the 'Specs' sidebar under the 'Highlights' page, but under the 'Key Features,' it says 1.2GHz.

Proof:

Untitled.png

• 1. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

Oops! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will send this up to have it corrected.

-Donnie

• 2. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

Nah...since all of the "Sprint features" are pretty much the same as the S2, they simply copied the S2 page and updated it for the S3.  Someone forgot to change the 1.2GHz processor to the now 1.5 number!!!    Funny nonetheless!!!

• 3. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    AllenChicago Valued Member

What's NOT so funny is that on the Pre-Order page, it states that until 4G-LTE is available in your area, your Galaxy S-III will only connect to the 3G Network... Yikes!  Apparently the S-3 doesn't work on the Sprint 4G-WIMAX network?  Does this mean that if I upgrade my Samsung EPIC-4G to the Samsung Galaxy S-III, I'll lose 4G speeds until 4G-LTE is available here in Chicago?  If so, I'll just keep my EPIC-4G until 4G-LTE arrives here.  Once you have 4G, you NEVER want to go back to 3G!  If noone here knows for sure, I'll just endure making a call to Sprint CustServ for the answer.  Thanks in advance...

-Allen in Chicagoland

• 4. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

You are correct.  WiMax and LTE require two different radios.  Each phone you speak of supports only one of these radios plus a 3G radio. I had the Evo 3D (WiMax) and upgraded to the Evo LTE (LTE).  We have WiMax in my area and not LTE.  So, I had 4G before and now just 3G until LTE gets here because the Evo LTE, like the S3, cannot use WiMax.  I live in the Washington DC area and my 3G has been pretty decent here.  So, while I absolutely loved my 4G, I can live without it for a few months...hopefully (I've read on websites that DC is going to get turned on pretty early).  I am not sure how the 3G is in Chicago...that would make a difference for me if it were very slow.

• 5. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    alk1122 Expert

Well played Sprint

AllenChicago....

I would wait.  I have seen many comlaining about the 3G in Chicago.

pharaoh0...

I dont know about DC getting LTE early.  They still have not activated the first waive cities that were suppose to be up and active by mid year.  They are 22 days away from NOT meeting that date

• 6. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

They already lit up some areas for testing and my guess is that the first wave will be good to go this summer.  As to DC, we actually had WiMax months before it was "officially" available and the rumor is that the area is in the earlier waves.  I can have a little faith b/c my 3G is okay right now.

• 7. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    alk1122 Expert

pharaoh0 wrote:

They already lit up some areas for testing and my guess is that the first wave will be good to go this summer.  As to DC, we actually had WiMax months before it was "officially" available and the rumor is that the area is in the earlier waves.  I can have a little faith b/c my 3G is okay right now.

Sprint's official LTE release was the list of first wave cities and stated Midyear 2012.  All I'm saying is that deadline is 22 days away.  Anything afterthat means they are not on schedule for the first waive.  They have begun to activate towers here and there.  They are usually up a couple of hours and then they take them offline.  They are still in testing phases right now.  Hopefully they dont have any network issues when they officially go online.

From what I have experienced and seen others complain about, you will know that they are working on the LTE in your area when your 3G starts to get very inconsistant and people in your area begin having outages and network issues.

As for wimax coming early, Sprint did not rollout wimax.  Clearwire did.  So Clearwire would be the one who got you the wimax up and running early.  And I believe the wimax was a much easier project than the LTE and NV.  But having hope and faith is always a good attitude to have

• 8. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

Midyear is based on your definition of what that means.  Some may say midyear means the summer.  Some people would say June 30/July 1....so, that is really a subjective term to start with.

AS to WiMax, while Clearwire rolled out wimax, Sprint was the majority owner of Clearwire and the substantive customer.  So, WiMax rolled out when and where Sprint needed to it.  And, yes WiMax was easier, but only because it was a seperate system.  The LTE rollout is being combined with NV and they are apparently upgrading their entire tower equipment for the LTE launch.  As with any launch, there are official dates when the company will address customer issues and nonofficial launches where the system works, but the company is not taking responsibility for performance.  For months in DC, we had the latter...and it was good.

• 9. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    AllenChicago Valued Member

Thankyou Pharaoh and Alk for your feedback and confirmation that 4G-WiMax devices (like my Samsung Epic 4g) will NOT work with the new 4G-LTE network, and, more importantly, the new Samsung Galaxy S-3 will not connect to the existing Wimax-4G network. 

Does this mean that Sprint (the only major carrier to lose $$$ in the first quarter 2012) will be owning/maintaining and subscribing to TWO 4G NETWORKS SIMULTANEOUSLY?  They can't afford to do that, can they?  Perhaps Sprint will just terminate their contract with CLEAR and stop using their Wimax-4g network once they have their own LTE-4g network built to a certain point of coverage.    Perhaps all of us who have 4G-Wimax phones will get a FREE Galaxy S-3 when that cutoff is imminent.

As others have said, the 3-G speed here in the Chicago area is only about 10% as fast as the 4-G speed.   There's no way I'm going to get a Galaxy S-3 before LTE-4G is widely available in this area.  Also, just because a carrier says that a certain city is "turned on" for 4-G doesn't mean that the entire city is covered at that point.  When Sprint first announced that 4-G was "live" in Chicago, it was only a few square miles in the center of the city.  Those of us who live in the suburbs had to wait another 18 months to get a reliably consistent connection.  in fact, there are still lots of "dead" areas very close to Chicago where there is no 4-G and even 3-G is absent over a 3 mile stretch of Interstate-90 just west of the city limits. 

Thanks again for the feedback and advice!

-Allen in Chicagoland

• 10. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

Yeah...crazy.  Sprint has a majority ownership interest in Clearwire, which I think it has or is in the process of spinning off.  I think they have a contract to buy WiMax from Clearwire until the end of 2013.  I guess if they wanted to, they could buy more WiMax for longer than that...but, I wouldn't count on it.  Starting this summer, they are going to turn on LTE.  I think Sprint is running the show on most of their LTE along with a few smaller companies.  Lightsquared had figured into this plan until they got dinged by the FCC last year.  Regardless, LTE is the future that Sprint is hanging its hat on. 

Chicago sounds terrible for data. In the DC area, I got between 4 and 9 Mbs downloads and 2Mbs upload on WiMax.  Now, I get 700-1000Kbs on just 3G, which is plenty for most things.  But, if 3G is not reliable in Chicago, I would definitely hold off until the network is firmed up.  From what I've seen, for the first time ever, it appears that Sprint is working their butts off and committing to a technology....so, I have hope that things will improve.

• 11. Re: False information on the Samsung Galaxy S-III pre-order page
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

AllenChicago wrote:

Thankyou Pharaoh and Alk for your feedback and confirmation that 4G-WiMax devices (like my Samsung Epic 4g) will NOT work with the new 4G-LTE network, and, more importantly, the new Samsung Galaxy S-3 will not connect to the existing Wimax-4G network. 

Does this mean that Sprint (the only major carrier to lose $$$ in the first quarter 2012) will be owning/maintaining and subscribing to TWO 4G NETWORKS SIMULTANEOUSLY?  They can't afford to do that, can they?  Perhaps Sprint will just terminate their contract with CLEAR and stop using their Wimax-4g network once they have their own LTE-4g network built to a certain point of coverage.    Perhaps all of us who have 4G-Wimax phones will get a FREE Galaxy S-3 when that cutoff is imminent.

As others have said, the 3-G speed here in the Chicago area is only about 10% as fast as the 4-G speed.   There's no way I'm going to get a Galaxy S-3 before LTE-4G is widely available in this area.  Also, just because a carrier says that a certain city is "turned on" for 4-G doesn't mean that the entire city is covered at that point.  When Sprint first announced that 4-G was "live" in Chicago, it was only a few square miles in the center of the city.  Those of us who live in the suburbs had to wait another 18 months to get a reliably consistent connection.  in fact, there are still lots of "dead" areas very close to Chicago where there is no 4-G and even 3-G is absent over a 3 mile stretch of Interstate-90 just west of the city limits. 

Thanks again for the feedback and advice!

-Allen in Chicagoland

Sprint already has operated two entirely separate networks (CMDA and iDEN) since the merger with Nextel. This also means Sprint has has about double the nubmer of towers that our competitors have, but many of them only have one technology or the other due to the differences in tower spacing required by each technology. The Nextel network is being decommissioned and shutdown, and the FCC has already approved the reallocation of that 800MHz spectrum for Sprint to use for CDMA and LTE rollouts. LTE is directly tied to the Network Vision upgrades nationwide so as areas are upgraded to the new NV equipment, LTE is being installed on those towers as well. As towers are upgraded with increased backhaul to accomodate the data requirements of 4G LTE, it also will allow faster 3G network speeds which are currently limited primarily due to the backhaul available on each tower. For instance, if the tower can only transmit back 50MB/s to the main hub, that's all the tower can do total for all connections (voice/data/etc.), if a bunch of people are using it, they will have slower data overall because of it. The new backhaul upgrades will provide a massive increase in each tower's ability to provide good data speeds; in short, backhaul won't be the issue for slow data.

As for how networks go "live", no area that goes "live" will have 100% of the towers converted, no matter which company it is or the rollout plans. For instance, from what I've been able to figure out, Verizon turns on their 4G LTE network when they have about 35-40% of the market covered. I'm pretty sure this is about what every carrier does. In each market the actual number of towers will vary, and after it is "live", they continue to upgrade towers to add coverage overall and fill in coverage holes that may be caused by the transition.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...