6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 11:14 PM by DONALIEN RSS

HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...

JORGE10928 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I recently purchased an HTC Evo 3D and it keeps shutting off on its own. Even after I installed all of the HTC updates the phone still kept shutting off. I did the factory reset and the problem still persisted. I am thinking the battery might be defective. I've noticed that the phone does not shut off when it is plugged in. It only turns off when it is running off of its battery. I thought maybe the battery was loose so I put some small folded up pieces of paper on the sides but the phone still kept shutting off. I bought the phone new off of eBay and still have the option to return it, but if it is just the battery then I can easily go get a new one.

Did anyone else have this issue, and if so, how did you fix it?

• 1. HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

JORGE10928, I do not personally have the EVO 3D but from the information provided it seems like it may be the battery. I suggest taking the phone to a Sprint Service and Repair center in your area to confirm. You can locate  the nearest repair store by clicking on this link www.sprint.com/storelocator If you have our Total Equipment Protection then there will be no charge to look at the device. If you do not have protection there may be a charge of $35 to have the device diagnosed. They may have a battery you can purchase at the store or can recommend a place to purchase one at.

• 2. HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...
    JORGE10928 Regular Visitor

I should also note that the phone has only shut off when I'm not using it and it also shuts off sometimes with the slightest bump.

• 3. Re: HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...
    JMogan123 Newbie

I've had my HTC EVO since Jan 2012 and for the past month my phone has shut off everytime I use my GPS! OMG thank God I know where I'm going but to have the phone shut down and turn on then shut down again and turn on is pathetic. I'm ready to throw it out the window.

Today it shut off and turned on 12 times. I'm not joshing you and I'm sick of it. I run a business and I need a phone. I shouldn't have to pay a frickin dime to get a replacement. It just shut off again and it's resting right here. Okay so I used GPS and it shut down 5 times but tonight it went to far and on off on off for 12 times.

Phone companies are funny. You will give me an upgrade as long as the 2 year contract is in place but if my phone is out of commission for whatever reason I have to deal with the ********, right? Wrong!

Maybe the iphone is the right phone however maybe another carrier isn't such a bad idea either!

J

• 4. Re: HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

I would try a factory reset first and see if it still reboots when you use GPS, before reinstalling any apps. Keep in mind a factory reset will erase all data stored on your phone memory. If it still powers down it's a problem that would require servicing in a repair center. Repair will be free of charge if the phone is covered by Total Equipment Protection. I hope this helps!

-Donnie

• 5. Re: HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...
    JMogan123 Newbie

So where does this factory reset take place? I just uninstalled a few free apps to see if that helps the situation.When you say all data what are you referring too exactly? All text messages? What does that mean exactly? I need to go to the repair center in Woodstock, GA where I bought the phone originally I just have to get info on where it's located again as I went with a friend and can't recall the location.

Thank you for the email

• 6. Re: HTC Evo 3D randomly shutting off...
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

You can find location of a repair center at http://www.sprint.com/storelocator by entering an address or just the zip code. When doing a factory reset you will lose all data that isn't stored on your memory card. This includes all apps, texts, settings, emails and contacts. You can export your contacts to your memory card in your contacts app by pressing the menu button and selecting import/export > export to SD card. The option to perform a factory reset is found in the phone settings under SD & phone storage. I hope this helps

-Donnie

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points