1 3 4 5 6 7 9 Previous Next 126 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 1:16 PM by Harvard_Dogmeat Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    The_Superman Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

{SOLVED} OK here is tha actual fix, I was having a similar problem and I fixed it by allowing the all the VPN passthroughs on the latest firmware 1.0.1.X(x)

This tells me that if you have a different router look for the IPSEC, PPTP, L2TP and make sure they are enabled for passthrough. On the ASUS it's under advanced and look for NAT Passthrough.

S

• 61. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    CJMALARA11 Newbie

Not sure if this thread is still active but i just received my airave today at my door (this after sprint saying they were delayed by 4 weeks - more later on that) anyway some background Ive had every generation and only had one work for me - the problem with the old units the gps lock was very hard to come by even with the external antenna - fast fwd the Airvana as they are calling it now is just as bad - mine started and ended with the mobile light going amber but both gps and broadband locking solid green pretty quickly - i tried both the behind the router and the front of router techniques to no avail.

3 hrs on tech with Sprint and my Optimum modem to find out my modem is not up to par with the "Jitter" i was running about 20ms and the Airvana needs to be withing 0-5ms if i am not mistaken - anyway after A TON of tech run throughs and opening ports etc. that was the conclusion - i am running a netgear N router and a motorola surfboard modem - have many wireless devices running in the background etc. never had any issues with any other device or streaming hd movies etc. but again the airvana is very picky and everything needs to be constant and smooth with sending and receiving information -

Called Sprint retentions after the long day of Airvana tech and found out this gem - a newer model is already being pushed out in 10 days - rep saying its suppose to fix all these finicky issues they've had for so long quoting tech support thats all they do all day is help people try and figure out why its not connecting - so for all those suffering trying to find a quick solution it may just be the airvana has bugs like they all have and if your modem/router/the planets are not in specific alignment (aka - jitter between 0-5, packet dump less than 1% etc. etc. ) than you should have no problem but if your like me the average user with services from a cable company the stats will fluctuate all the time hence no allowing your airave/airvana to work properly -

Amazing how they expect the average person to use this thing - i actually felt like a tech after going through all the motions and language (ports, jitter, packets, pppoe, voip, etc.) anyway this thing has been flawed since it came out way back when (i should know) and another good quote to leave you with from retentions

Well i see here that you have 27 towers in your area in need of repair and upgrade, i am assuming they will be updating them to LTE soon - this maybe the reason why you have poor service in your area, the airvana was suppose to help you with that, but if that cannot connect i understand your frustrations, but we do have a newer unit coming out in 10days thats suppose to fix the bugs on these units, be more user friendly, a real plug and play -

• 62. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

So far we have only had only the two airave models for non commercial use, and although there are plans in the works for a new airave model there has been no release date announced. The airave really does not have very demanding requirements, we look for at least 1Mbps download speed, 350 Kbps upload, 80% Quality of service, and less than 1% packet loss, and less than 5 ms Jitter. This is one of the reasons that in most situations we suggest connecting the airave to your modem directly, instead of behind your router, the high jitter may be caused by high network use, and the effects of jitter may be exacerbated by the router, the modem it’s self usually is not to blame. Try resetting your Motorola Surfboard, then connecting the airave’s WAN directly to the modem, once you have a solid Broadband light (may take a few moments), then connect a computer directly to LAN 1 on the airave and rerun the VOIP test, if you see a drastic difference then it could be your router, or high network activity, if the problem of poor stats persist then you may want to reach our to Optimum Online. The airave works well for most of the people that I speak to. Please let me know if there’s anything that I can do to help you.

• 63. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    CJMALARA11 Newbie

Regardless the average user for this device is having major issues with signal (I can agree to that) and the average user wants to plus this in using the quick setup guide and away you go - so far from the truth on this device it drives me nuts -

I have now had it for 2 days with no mobile connection connecting what so ever - i have tried every which way and I should not have to call my cable company or buy a new router to get this device to work - that makes no sense!

It flashes continously on mobile while everything else is locked in - it actually worked (all three lights solid green) for a split 2 seconds before i wrote this but than went back to provisioning - lets face it this thing has alot of bugs, and if its not the bugs its the service which defeats the purpose - Sprint's network has been going down hill ever since they decided they wante do do LTE and now im in an area with 27 towers needing upgrading -

So while this unit should be a god send to help with the declining signal, it should work without having to go above and beyond tech support and calling cable companies and go to Best Buy to ask what router gives off the cleanest wireless signal -

And over 3 rententions rep from Sprint have confirmed a newer model Airvana/Airave have been in the works and will be pushed out in 10 days time (most of which no one knows about because they are still shipping out old Airvana's at this point) why do you think there is such a backorder of 4 weeks time for one? They are discontinuing the unit for something newer - lets hope it fixes the plug and play situation because its far from that

• 64. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    CJMALARA11 Newbie

In some kind of genius stroke of luck this actually worked!!!!

This maybe the fix of all fixes for those who think its your router or cable provider etc ... you may just have to enable your IPSEC, PPTP, L2TP through your routers admin page (192.XXX.X.X) click save and log out and reset your airvana through the pin hole!! - So far all in the green for the last half hour and getting full bars from barely one!!!

• 65. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    ChromeToaster Newbie

I don't know about all this port forwarding and static IP assignment being necessary. I run a commercial web server and a number of other services which prevent me from putting the Airave in front of the router. Instead, I placed the Airave in the DMZ exposing it to the internet the same as if it were in front of the router. No port forwarding or configuring of any kind needed.

• 66. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello CJMALARA11, in most configurations the airave is best placed before the router, doing so will help avoid potential complications because of the router's features, or capabilities. for most routers that one would have in their home this is advisable.  When you get into Commercial grade routers/managed switches you have a far more efficient device to distribute the network traffic, and it makes sense to connect the airave after this type of device since it is not likely to present a bottleneck. The airave has been stable and reliable for many, and by definition it's not "plug & play" although the setup is very easy.

• 67. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    JPWhistler Regular Visitor

For anyone having other than a very basic home network, placing the Airave in front of the router is simply not an option. 

The Airave has very basic router functions.  It also takes 5 - 10 minutes to reboot whenever the power is interrupted...a fairly common occurance here.  I use VPN and VNC access and the Airave simply is too cludgey to handle these needs.

• 68. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    jgcheckers Newbie

I wasted the better part of a day following the various permutaions of the instructions on the first page of the thread, setting IP, DHCP, etc. all with the result of a flashing amber light. Finally I reset the thing to factory, rebooted it and went to make myself a cocktail.  I swore I was done messing with it for the day but half an hour later I just had to go back and look and, lo and behold, it was working.  The moral of this overly long post is try it out of the box first, then if that fails try all the vairous instructions.  Or maybe it's first cocktail, then setup.  Whatever, I suppose it must depend on what kind of router you have.  I'm still using the classic BEFSR41 for whatever that's worth.

• 69. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    Sgooter Regular Visitor

I'm scheduled to receive a much-needed Airave from Sprint in a couple of days and I want to install it behind my Linksys E3200 4-port wireless router.  In my home network setup, I'm already using all 4 ethernet ports on the router.  So, will I encounter problems if I connect the Airave to my E3200 router via a Linksys 5-port switch?  Also, my house is 5000 sq ft on 2 levels, and the home network is in an upstairs office.  Is the signal strength of the Airave pre-set at max or is this adjustable somehow?

• 70. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    jgreening11 Newbie

I had a similar setup. Unfortunately I could never get the Airave to sync when connected to the switch and had to connect it directly to a router port. I spent several days with tech support and they couldn't definitively say why it won't work hanging off a switch, but we tried every trick in the book unsuccessfully.

Hopefully you can find a way to free up one of those router ports.

• 71. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    Sgooter Regular Visitor

Thanks much for the input from your experience with using a switch.  As you suggest, maybe the better option is to put my printer on the switch and plug the Airave into the freed-up port on the router.

Ha!  Stupid me...I just realized that the 5-port switch box would need to plug into "freed-up" router port.  Oh well, I think the printer can be plugged into one of the ports on the Airave instead.

Also, WRT Airave's signal power, a helpful Airave tech at Sprint just told me that it's pre-set for 5000 sq ft, and it can be boosted by Sprint control to 8000 sq ft, and he said to call him directly for this once I'm up and running on the Airave.  Added:  The Sprint tech just called to tell me that I'll be receiving a new Airave 2.5, which he said has just been introduced.  I recall some earlier posts in this thread about a new model of the Airave; perhaps this is it.

• 72. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    jgreening11 Newbie

Definitely try that first to avoid headaches.

• 73. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    Manzana112 Regular Visitor

@Sgooter

I freed up two ports on my Cisco/Linksys E3000, one for the AirAve and one for the ethernet cable gong to my Linksys 5 port Switch. Plugged in my printer and Directv "On Demand" media adapter into the switch... So far, it works like a charm.

• 74. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    Sgooter Regular Visitor

I'll experiment a little with using the switch to router combination.  If necessary, my printer has a wireless capability, so that will be my fall-back option.

Thanks again folks for the great inputs - very helpful.  Great forum here.

1 3 4 5 6 7 9 Previous Next