1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 1:26 PM by mkollmorgan RSS

Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.

Venom01x Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Although I still use my Arrive as my Zune (Upgrades to 32 gb and no longer need my zune HD), I am hoping they are quick to release the update.

• 1. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    iknowsingh Regular Visitor

The difference with Windows Phone 7.8 compared to other updates is that there is no carrier intervention on this one. Here's a quote that Paul Thurrott (well-known Windows/Microsoft blogger) made in his Windows Phone 7.8 post -

"Windows Phone 7.8 will be delivered directly to all Windows Phone users, bypassing the carriers. You will be able to download and install Windows Phone 7.8 over Wi-Fi, at home or wherever else, and install this update".

According to Microsoft, Windows Phone 7.8 will be released sometime around Windows Phone 8's debut (which is expected in Oct/Nov like the past two releases). Quote from the Windows Phone team blog:

"The new Start screen is so useful and emblematic of what Windows Phone is about that we want everybody to enjoy it. So we’ll be delivering it to existing phones as a software update sometime after Window Phone 8 is released."

Source for quote: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/windows-phone-78-preview-143476

Source for 7.8 release: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/

• 2. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    Venom01x Valued Member

I guess I missed that part about bypassing carriers.  That is great news!  I guess we just need Sprint to offer up Tango and look forward to not needing them anymore in regards to updates.

• 3. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    thenet95 Valued Member

Cant wait to upgrade to 7.8 or maybe get a new wp 8 phone if sprint offers one this fall. Also sprint should at least just give us tango update anyway has i heard they added that you can now send multiple attachment using text message and also they included the internet sharing feature. Maybe that's probably why sprint will not give tango update due to internet sharing feature.

• 4. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    TallTomD Regular Visitor

I've manually updated my Arrive to Tango 7.10.8107.79 , but there is no internet sharing feature.  That was the main thing I wanted in the update!

The big things it is supposed to resolve is the problem when the keyboard dissappears while typing a message.  The update did seem to resolve that, but I had never really experienced the problem very much prior to the update.
    Hopefully Sprint will offer some good Windows Phone 8 devices this fall!

• 5. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    thenet95 Valued Member

Hi talltomd,

that really sucks if it did not have internet sharing. most of my friends who have updated there wp7.5 to tango have the internet sharing feature but there phones are not the htc arrive. my friend has the htc trophy. also can you tell me if you have tried to use text message to attach mutilple images and video now? also the dissapearing keyboard i never had a problem with that since having my htc arrive. i mostly use querty keyboard which works great.

for having windows phone 8 for sprint. i heard sprint should be having wp8 phones this fall with (Htc and Samsung models) if sprint dont bring wp8 they will be crazy has look at the HTC Arrive survey it mostly beat every current phones saying good things about HTC Arrive. i just wonder if sprint is ignoring htc arrive survey and just keep bringing these junk android or iphones which i had many friends complain about these 2 phones. i am so glad i never gotten an iphone or android and always sticked to wp. while my friends are complaining with there iphone or android with problems. i am just enjoying my htc arrive with no problems at all since i been using it for past 11 months now. best part of HTC arrive wp 7.5 it still fast & fluid and NO Crash at all. Now that's truely a smartphone :)

• 6. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    TallTomD Regular Visitor

I just ran a test and I cannot attach multiple images to a TXT message.

I've had Android in the past, and it was awful.  Just didn't meet my needs.  I got rid of it before my 30 days and went back to Windows Mobile 6.5, and then eventually to Windows Phone 7.

My wife had Android as her first smart phone and she loved it at first, but soon began to see all the problems.  Short battery life, couldn't answer incoming calls because the phone just didn't work, force close on applications while she was trying to use them.  She called me almost every day complaining about how much she hated her phone.  As soon as she was eligible I got her an Arrive with Windows Phone and she absolutely loves it.  She's told many of her friends that there is a much better alternative to Android.

• 7. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    arbiter0111 Newbie

I truly hope the rumors about 7.8 being released straight to phones bypassing the carriers are true. Every day I'm less and less satisfied with sprint. They haven't been releaseasing any updates for the arrive since mango. Service sucks in my area even though there own coverage maps say I should have better than average service. No new Windows 7 phones since the arrive despite ALL other carriers jumping on the windows bandwagon and offering several versions of wp7 phones. I gotta tell you sprint, If you don't offer wp8 or updates for the arrive, I'll jump ship to the first carrier that does. I've been a long times customer and am only a few months into a 2 year contract with you but I promise, you won't get one cent out of me for a broken contract when I leave for better service and phones.

• 8. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    mcss02 Newbie

Well its been a while since this thread was brought up. And my guess is that all of you have not gotten the update yet.....

Today, January 30, 2013, was supposed to be the day for the release. Many of the other HTC devices have gotten the update. Sadly the Arrive will NOT be getting it.

Though Microsoft mentioned that the update would bypass carriers, they failed to mention how it would not bypass manufacturers. HTC gave the Arrive the shaft, and we will not be getting the update.

Today, as I was trying everything possible to get this update on my phone, I sent HTC an email asking if the update would come to our phones. They replied about 10 minutes later with confirmation that it would not come.

Sorry to dissappoint, but thats about the realest truth you can get coming straight from the source. IF for some miraculous reason the HTC 7 Pro for U.S. Cellular gets the update, then it will be easily possible to manually install the update (I did this with the Tango update, which worked fine.)

Until then, we are out of luck.

• 9. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    Venom01x Valued Member

I asked about 7.8 in the Windows OS section and the mod said there are no plans as of now.  Too bad Sprint decided on HTC and Samsung.  WP8 users would have been better off if Sprint only supported Nokia who has an true intrestin Windows Phone succeeding.

Venom01x,

Thank you for your question. At this time we cannot speculate if your Windows based device will be upgraded to that version.
    Just to let you know when there is a new update your phone will notify you.

Thank you,

George M.
    Sprint Social Care Team

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/535242#535242

• 10. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    pelatz Newbie

Sprint may not be offering it, but some Arrive users have been successful with the "Zune" trick.  You'll have to scroll through the comments to read about this.  Apparently there are at least 6 Arrive users who have been successful, I haven't though.

http://www.wpcentral.com/forcing-windows-phone-78-update-camera-button-not-required-patience

• 11. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    Jackolope Newbie

I know that for the first time it looks like I can't be mad at Sprint and just be glad that I got to Mango:)  I know for a fact I won't be buying an HTC phone because if they can't support me as an early adoptor then I hope the Samsung Phone for Windows 8 has decent features.  If not I may need to look to a Nokia Phone.

• 12. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    Jackolope Newbie

I know that for the first time it looks like I can't be mad at Sprint and just be glad that I got to Mango:)  I know for a fact I won't be buying an HTC phone because if they can't support me as an early adoptor then I hope the Samsung Phone for Windows 8 has decent features.  If not I may need to look to a Nokia Phone.

• 13. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    Jackolope Newbie

• 14. Re: Update to OS 7.8.  Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.
    PhilS40 Newbie

I’m very disappointed in Sprint’s support for the HTC Arrive. Longtime Sprint loyal customer with three phones in account, but I’ll switch to AT&T or Verizon if I see no progress with a new high-end 4G Windows Phone 8. My contract ends very soon. Sprint’s entire focus seems to be on the iPhone.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...