1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2012 11:17 AM by garwynn RSS

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean

GS2Epic Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I wonder if I am the only one thinking perhaps Sprint my skip the ICS (Ice Cream Sandwhich) update and send out Jelly Bean to the GS2 (Epic 4G Touch) given they have waited so long and the other OS is available?  It would be rather nice of them.  In my mind I've been thinking that Google gave the new OS or should I say made the new OS available to the vendors and carriers for sometime now.  Perhaps it was enough time for Sprint to one up the competition on delivering the latest and greatest to the best FlagShip phone ever.  Just my thoughts.  What's your thoughts on this?

• 1. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    TNINIS Valued Member

I'm guesing probably not. If Sprint's track record with updates is any indication of what they are doing everybody else will have released Jellybean then and only then will existing customersget their Ice Cream Sandwich update. I'm also pretty sure that Jellybean was just debuted at the Google I/O this last week and as far as I've read there were no developers with access before that. Also, any of the Nexus phones that will receive Jellybean will get it before the rest of us. So, as much as I would love to see that happen I really don't see it happening.

• 2. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    garwynn Expert

Flagged for spamming.  Post is poorly researched, untrue and makes me wonder if you're posting for either views or click revenue.

Just look at the comments on that post to see it get knocked down quite easily.

OP,

JB is already being looked at by XDA devs.  Whether or not it gets released officially will be up to Samsung and/or Sprint.

The good news though is that this is a minor update versus going GB to ICS; so I'd put 50-50 on the odds IMO.

• 3. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    tlds Regular Visitor

I've read where Samsung has said in the past that they would bring updates to devices when it made sense. I take that to mean that the device can run the new version of Android. I don't thing there is any question that the E4GT can run Jelly Bean. I think Sprint should push for the upgrade and that Samsung should bring it to the device asap. I have actually been thinking of leaving Sprint for just this reason, we get the short end of the stick at every turn. Something has to give with this, either Sprint is going to have to stand up for its users or risk losing them. I've been hanging on for as long as I care to and I don't know that I'll stay with Sprint when my contract is up.

• 4. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    JONB4MORE Regular Visitor

stick with the galaxy nexus and you'll always be up to date.

• 5. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    SCRIBLER26 Regular Visitor

When they announced JB at Google I/O, they also announced a new PDK that would allow partners to get the update prior to release so they could get the update to customers quicker.  It will go to everyone with the KLP version of Android, but some partners did get it for JB.  I am certain that Samsung was one of those partners since they created the latest Nexus phone.  Not to mention the fact that the Note II has been announced and will have JB.

That being said, I firmly believe that the Epic 4G Touch will not even get the ICS update.  Sprint's customer service reps will not even confirm that the phone is being upgraded to ICS.  I know that it was announced in April that the phone would be updated, but I think Sprint and Samsung are hoping that little announcement will be forgotten.

• 6. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    dave_cleve Regular Visitor

I don't undersand how that could be the case. They have come this far in ICS development for the E4GT, why would they stop now and not release it? Sprint would end up being one of the only carriers that don't upgrade their S2 devices. I can understand how they wouldn't update the E4GT to Jelly Bean since they are EOLing the device soon, but to skip the ICS update would be foolish on the part of Sprint and/or Samsung. I think the more likely senario is, Sprint is holding the update to get as many people to upgrade to a new ICS device (SIII, EVO LTE) as possible. Then, once sales start to slow Sprint will release the update for the E4GT and act like they did us all a favor.

• 7. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    GS2Epic Regular Visitor

I totally agree with you. 

• 8. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    GS2Epic Regular Visitor

I will also note that Samsung has posted on their site that Sprint will get the update.  However, there is no defined time.  So my leaning was towards JB and that would be the only update the device sees.  But I cannot speak towards that given the track record thus far.

• 9. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    SCRIBLER26 Regular Visitor

I can't see any reason for holding back the update from current E4GT owners given that most users that purchased the phone are under contract  Now in the days when Gold Customers (can't remember exact name) could get anual updates, it would have made sense (cause I know I would be getting a new phone in September if I could still take advantage of that deal).  But how many users are willing to plunk down $600 for a device?  (Yes, there are advantages to going that route, especially if your old phone is in good shape and can be sold on eBay, but most users are not going to go that route.)

• 10. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    JohnOnSprint Regular Visitor

Premier Gold Members (like myself) have the ability to use that subsidized upgrade option for I believe another year from the ending date of the program. I have several lines that have varying eligibility dates with the option still available.

As for Jellybean, as this post is primarily referring to, while I would love that Sprint/Samsung would OTA straight to JB instead of ICS (IOT stay ahead of the competition) I would not place to much faith in that possibility.  For those that cannot wait and are not scared of rooting and flashing custom roms, pop on over to the XDA Developers site and do a search in the E4GT development forum.  I know a least one team is working on an Alpha release (team nocturnal) of the Jellybean port and the forum placeholder is already up (bookmark them at http://forums.team-nocturnal.com/showthread.php/930-ROM-PORT-Jelly-Bean-Goodness-E4GT-Alpha-1)I anticipate seeing some JB-goodness as soon as the PDK hits everyones hands.  It took them very few days to completely disassemble the SGSIII rom at release and port out s voice and such (works great on the Frakenstein Ego ROM btw)

• 11. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    Mitchell1331 Regular Visitor

I just spoke with a rep who said that he knew for a fact ICS would be rolled out OTA in the middle of July. Rep also stated that there is a good chance that 4.1 (JB) would quickly follow. JB is not fundamentally different from ICS. Just a less buggy refresh.

• 12. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    GS2Epic Regular Visitor

If this is true, then there will be thousands of happy Sprint campers.  This just looks way to familar...Windows.  I will wait just like everyone else is waiting.  However, more information shared openly would help matters.

• 13. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    tlds Regular Visitor

Wouldn't that be great!! I'm holding out for the next nexus phone so it would be nice to get JB on the ET4G!

• 14. Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean
    JAMESUSMC Newbie

Sprint is completely slacking and it's starting to annoy me. How does both Droid razor phones get the update and all spint has done was make false statements on dates of the send out? To be honest Id switch to a more reliable company in a millisecond if i didn't have to pay a arm and a leg to transfer carriers.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points