This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 7:50 PM by FullOfWin Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    Chadstermac Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I am having the same problem, I thought this was one of the features of this phone that made it better than the HTC ONE X, was the ability to have an external SD card, what good is it , if you can't store apps on it? Most Pictures can be saved in a "Cloud" database for online use. It is only useful to me if I can store some of my apps on the micro SD card. I hope they resolve this issue, if not, my great experience with this phone so far will be taken down several notches. I like many others, am so glad I purchased the 32 GB version!!

• 16. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    Katyra1984 Newbie

After playing around with the phone for 2weeks I finally figured it out.  You have to go to the app screen, look for my files.. You should see sd and ext sd card. On the sd card find  the file that you want to move. select move then go to ext sd and make a new folder the select done and the app will be moved from sd to ext sd on phone

• 17. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    FullOfWin Newbie

Anyone can move files to an SD card. We're talking about having an app installed on the SD card like on previous Galaxy phones. If you go in and start just moving files around that apps need, some won't work anymore. You're not actually moving the installation. Just like on a Windows PC, you can't just "move" an installed program by moving the files.

• 18. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    KingOnyx215 Regular Visitor

i 've had the whole app included program on my phone before...so is it that ics doesn't allow that movement anymore or does the app maker have to update the app for ics to be able to move to the sd card?

• 19. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    KingOnyx215 Regular Visitor

usually it would say under the app ...move to sd but that's not there anymore on here...so how do you do it?

• 20. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello.  I've not seen how much internal storage this device was built with, but I would assume it's at least 2GB maybe 3.  It's listed in the storage setting.  Since the GSIII has an internal hard drive 2-3GBs will be partitioned for application storage.  Moving apps to a separate storage area is not what's actually happening when you tapped "move to SD" on previous phones.  Only the app's data is being moved but not the actual application itself.  So for a game for example, your high scores, levels you've unlocked, certain settings, etc could be moved.  To move an apps data, it has to be enabled by the developers of the app for this to be a feature.  I'd recommend contacting the developer of a particular app and asking if this should be an option on the ICS OS. 

Tom

• 21. Re: Why can't i move apps to the sd card on my Galaxy s3???
    FullOfWin Newbie

You can NOT move apps to the SD card or install them there. You could do this on Galaxy S1 & S2, but not  on S3. No app will override this and help you do it. It is NOT possible for this phone.

Just so everyone is clear, because apparently I haven't stated this enough in my previous posts.....

YOU CANNOT MOVE APPS TO THE SD CARD ON GALAXY S3. YOU CANNOT INSTALL APPS ON THE SD CARD ON GALAXY S3. YOU CANNOT GET AN APP IN THE PLAY STORE TO CHANGE THIS. IT IS *NOT* POSSIBLE.

More info verifying this from the App 2 SD page on the Google Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&hl=en

"Galaxy S3 is not supported:

* Galaxy S3 configures the SD card as a secondary external storage. This is configured by Samsung. Nothing developers can do about this. Please contact Samsung for details."

DEVELOPERS HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THIS ISSUE.

Maybe the bright obnoxious text will get people's attention this time.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points