This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 3:22 PM by DLAINEL1 RSS

Sprint Termination for Roaming Data

DLAINEL1 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I'm so angry right now.  I just recieved a letter from Sprint saying they are terminating my cell phone service for overusage of data in a roaming area.  Now mind you, I live in the mountains, in a very rural area.  I am in roaming at my home.  The only cell phone service that I know of that is available in our area without roaming is US Cellular, who does not offer the iPhone.  However, I have been a Sprint customer for over 15 years.  I have NEVER had a problem with having service or going beyond my roaming usage.  I've had a Smartphone for the last few years, and never had a problem.  I bought an iPhone 4s the day they came out.  Sprint offered a service for turning your phone into a personal hotspot.  I paid $30 extra a month for it plus $10 a month for smartphone usage, on top of the $178 a month I was paying for my phone service.  Sprint supposedly offers "Unlimited Data."  Then, I recieved a letter stating that I was using too much roaming data and would be terminated if I did not correct the problem.  So, I called and cancelled the hotspot and stopped using it for my computer.  Sprint does not offer any way to keep track of your roaming data usuage like other companies do.  I thought I was limiting my usuage by disconnecting the hotspot.  Now, I have received a letter stating that on the 14th of August, my service will be terminating because I am using to much roaming data.  I called customer service and was told that once the process is started that it can't be stopped.  Also, that they are not cancelling the other phone on my line and I will be charged the early termination fee if I cancel that line.  They have a buyback program for my phone, but I have to have my phone active for 3 months in order to receive that, and they are cancelling my phone so I can't take advantage of that service.  I've never had my phone turned off for not paying a bill.  I have always paid my bill on time.  I've asked for a supervisor, and then his supervisor, and then his supervisor.  The situation is still unresolved.  I'm angry.  I pay a small fortune to Sprint every month.  I need my phone.  Sprint doesn't care about their loyal customers.

• 1. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    oldyounggun Regular Visitor

And I thought I had problems. What they are doing to you is pretty harsh.  Sprint seems to be systematically getting rid of customers they don't profit enough from. I'm quite surprised that you have no way of keeping track of your roaming data usage. I wish I were CEO of Sprint. There are so many issues that could be resolved easily if they were willing to do a little programming. In your case there should be a mechanism for you to pay for your excessive data roaming rather than be discarde. Sprint reminds me of the harsh orphanage master when Oliver walks up to him with the his empty porrage bowl and asks him "Please sir, may have more?"   "MORE! YOU WANT MORE!!!!" the man screams, grabs his whip and starts chasing the boy to punish him.   If I were AT&T or Verizon, I would make a commercial like I described that portrays sprint as the tyrant they've become, bullying their customers with their policy changes and instituting their own holocaust for undesireables and malcontents.  Be nice to write something good about them, but my issues aside.. I'm even angrier about what they are doing to others.

• 2. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    DLAINEL1 Regular Visitor

When I complained about not knowing if I was over data usage because they have no meter or texting service or email, etc., she said that I should've called them before I used any data.  So, I'm supposed to call Sprint Customer Service every time I need to check my email to make sure I don't go over their UNLIMITED data?  Do you know how long it takes to just get a customer service agent on the line? It just doesn't make since to me at all. They should have an automated system of some sort to text/email/call and say you're nearing the data limit for roaming.  They sure have the technology to send me a text and an email when it's nearing time for me to pay my bill!  I would switch to AT&T or Verison in a heartbeat if they had coverage in my area, but they don't.  I can't be that much over the data limit for roaming either.  I don't watch videos or stream music or surf the web at home because it loads to slow.  I play Words with Friends, Draw Something and check email and Facebook.  I don't see how I can be using that much data.

• 3. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    Valued Member

Sprint does have a web site for all of ur uses.all u have to do is make a account and sign in its all right there to b seen :-)

• 4. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    thensley1983 Newbie

Its not how much you use when roaming its the % of your data is roaming for instance if you use 10GB of data and 2 GB is roaming then your fine but if you use 200 MB of data and 150 MB IS roaming then you went over the way to prevent something like this from happening is to use as much data as possible while on network so when your roaming at home you don't have to worry about it last time I checked it was 50% of your data usage has to be on network

• 5. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    DLAINEL1 Regular Visitor

On the data on the Sprint Zone app, it shows "UNLIMITED" under the roaming data.  I does not tell me I'm over or show me what over is.  It shows me a meter on calls to not go over the limit.  The data does not show anything on the meter.

• 6. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    Valued Member

Contract states 300 Mb roaming  anything over and can b drop for that.thats in ur fine print of the contract,no if and or.

• 7. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    DLAINEL1 Regular Visitor

I wish they would have told me this.  I would have been happy to use my data more on the network.  However, when I'm in the network, I'm at work and usually unable to use my cell phone.  But I would've started streaming music at work even if they would have explained anything to me.  But, the Customer Service rep just said, "oh, I'm sure the mobile hotspot is what is causing this. We'll just remove that."  I had no clue of anything like this happening.  Like I said, I've had Sprint for over 15 years.  The last five of which, I've had a Smartphone.  I've NEVER had an issue until I got the iPhone.

• 8. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    Valued Member

forget the Zone and us sprint.com only for ur uses.

• 9. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    Valued Member

I feel for u, maybe u can tell them maybe that never told u how to watch ur uses.on sprint.com. If would have been advised this I wouldn't ever been over in the first place.so it's like sprint dropped the ball.Good luck.

• 10. Re: Sprint Termination for Roaming Data
    DLAINEL1 Regular Visitor

I don't use Sprint.com because I have no internet at home.  My cell phone internet will load the zone app, but the sprint.com website times out and I can't get anything on it.  I live up in the mountains in a very rural area.  I very seldom bring my laptop down the mountain as I can't carry it everywhere I go and won't leave it in my car.  I haven't had a "contract" that I've seen with Sprint since my original one back 15+ years ago.  They are the communications experts.  There is no reason they couldn't have communicated with me and let me know the problem.  They sure as heck text and email me when my bill is close to due.  After this experience, I wouldn't really even mind going to another company if there was one that offered the iPhone.  But they don't, so I really want to keep my phone.  And, why not offer a package that you pay for overage on?  Why not offer a meter for your phone?  It can't be that hard, other companies do it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points