14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 12:54 PM by Panzer06 RSS

Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

Radelix Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Per the subject line.  I am curious why you (Sprint) has not provided the relevant drivers to Google so that we could have timely updates to our Gnex phones.  I have stayed with you due to your support of Android as a whole.  I am now seriously beginning to reconsider my supposed relationship with you due to the hobbling of my Google experience device.  Based on my browsing of stories a good number of sources have been bashing the CDMA gnex's since the carriers were going to, in typical fashion, take a significang amount of time to provide these updates.  However I find today that the Verizon gnex has been added to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and is ready to receive the updates as well as having the source available.

Source + drivers

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers#toro

So I ask you from a loyal customer of 7+ years, why do you punish us for buying this device and forcing us to wait

Thanks,

-Chris

• 1. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

So this is something Sprint must do in order to have the Galaxy Nexus receive Jelly Bean and any other updated OS?

Cheers,

• 2. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    Radelix Regular Visitor

Yes the GSM Gnex's get timely updates due to the various drivers being open source and readily available for distribution.  The Verizon Gnex will get it soon due to Verizon not open sourcing the required drivers but merely providing the packages for distribution.  Sprint apparently wants to handle this in-house and has not provided the drivers.

• 3. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

If that's really true my Gnex GSM T-Mobile phone will have Jelly Bean in a couple of weeks and my Sprint Gnex phone could wait months?  I thought Google controlled the Gnex completely.  Seems rather annoying.  Are there not many Sprint owners of the Nexus devices to make this complaint important?

Cheers,

• 4. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    Radelix Regular Visitor

On your T-mobile one I would start bashing the check now button under system updates.  The T-mobile one is fully AOSP and the updates were made available last night

• 5. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    deeetroit Newbie

This is the last straw for me.  I had to wait forever to get ICS on my Nexus S 4G and here I am in the SAME situation again.   But when you buy a Nexus, Sprint sales will tell you how great it is that you will get the updates before anyone else with the Nexus phones.  What a sham.  I am so frustrated with Sprint over this.  I regret staying with Sprint.  I'm out of contract and should just jump ship and find a carrier who doesn't make their customers wait....

• 6. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    sanforj75oncom Newbie

I don't know how they can market it as "Pure Google" without AOSP support. I'm very dissapointed.

• 7. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    Radelix Regular Visitor

I agree.  I signed a new contract for this phone.  I have given sprint alot of leeway considering my experience with the Evo 4G was pretty good.  Even with their network that they are finally investing in I have been patient with them and have had good experiences with their customer service.  I however am finally annoyed with the network, the lack of dates for rollouts of LTE or the Network Vision upgrade, and finally not allowing my new phone which I signed a new contract for not able to receive timely updates. 

This is what ****** me off about services and roll outs like this.  The companies involved never give us dates that are within a reasonable frame of reference.  I do not consider Q1 Q2 Q3 etc to be reasonable when we are so close to the launch of said service, product, or widget.  This is not solely directed at sprint since there are a number of companies that do this.  However look at Microsoft.  They can tell us months away when to expect a product to drop.  Sprint can't  (or wont) tell us what percentage of areas are progressing through the NV upgrade.

I guess what I am saying is Sprint just give us a reasonable timeframe when to expect it.

• 8. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

Verizon is the same way other than the fact it appears they have provided drivers to Google. They still will have to approve any update though. Being added back to AOSP doesn't really mean anything as far as getting updates quicker. Also, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, even though advertised as a pure Google phone has Verizon software loaded on it that you can't remove and they have disabled Google Wallet. It's been known for a few years now if you want timely Android updates you need to have a Nexus with a GSM carrier, not CDMA (Sprint and Verizon).

• 9. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    SmurfinTruck2011 Valued Member

I may not have a Nexus i have the NS4G, but i totally agree.  Sprint need to get with the time and either open source the **** binaries or like i said in the NS4G thread have a dedicated team for android development and timely updates.  Or better yet as you said and many would agree they need to have a certified AOSP device!!!  If this keeps up once my wife's two year contract is up, about a year left, her and i will be transfering to another carrier at this rate so i can get a truely pure google phone.  But if all carriers go LTE then shouldn't all phones be able to be AOSP?

• 10. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

The issue is with the CDMA2000 technology. It is proprietary and not open source...and not necessarily because of Sprint or Verizon, but Qualcomm who owns the technology. LTE won't have anything to do with it because LTE is data only. Voice will still be CDMA.

Also, Sprint doesnt do software updates, the phone manufacturer does.

• 11. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

I heard about a tech VoLTE (voice over LTE) with LTE being data i take it that's basically a VoIP style call aka Skype??  I heard that verizon was playing with that.  If that works couldn't we technically get rid of CDMA completely?

• 12. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

I think something like that would require a lot of changes and probably something that wouldn't happen any time soon. 3G data, 1x data and text messages all currently are part of the CDMA tech. Also, currently roaming only works on 1x CDMA on Verizon towers, so if you didn't have a Sprint LTE signal, you'd have no service at all as the 2 LTE technologies are different and not compatible with each other.

• 13. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?

oh...ouch thanks for clearing that up for me i didn't realize all that ran over cdma.

• 14. Re: Sprint why do you punish us with not supporting AOSP?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

Seems like another reason to avoid Sprint and their version of GNex.  The battery life on the Sprint Version is significantly less than the GSM GNex from Google running on T-Mobile.  The Sprint was down to 47% just receiving mail and 25 minutes of calls in only 5 hours while the GSM version was only to 87% running hotspot all morning and surfing the Internet and posting.  The T-Mobile version regularly lasts all day.  I have to keep the Sprint version near an AC Adapter.  It looks like the weak Sprint network causes the phone to search constantly for a signal. It also runs significantly hotter than the GSM version also most likely related to turning up the juice to try and maintain a signal. 

I hope LTE next week really boosts performance. 

Cheers,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points