1 2 3 8 Previous Next 108 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 11:14 AM by painter2535 RSS

7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0

mapesy Sprint Admin
Currently Being Moderated

HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)

- Home screen folders

- Launch Bar for commonly used apps

- Improved Android Browser

- Improved Camera Experience

- Face Unlock

- Resizable widgets

- Add/Remove Panels

Have you rated your phone?  Rate the HTC EVO Design 4G here

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 3.14.651.0

- The customer may initiate the update beginning 7/31 or wait until notifications begin being sent to devices on 8/7

- Refer to the HTC EVO Design 4G Software Updates blog install instructions 

- Updates may be released in stages. When checking for the update, if you receive a message that no update is available,   

check back later or wait until the update notification is sent to your device  

• 1. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    MahlonP Valued Member

Installed the update last night and have been playing around with it. I see some new apps as expected from ICS. It would be nice if there was a more detailed breakdown of what to look for on our device as to what is new, fixed and changed. We don't exactly have an ICS manual lying around to look through.

• 2. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    NC1999 Newbie

What have been your experiences with ICS on the Evo Design 4G? I've had it for about a day, and while I love the new features (launcher bar and removing unused desktops)  but... everything is slower :-( messages app takes 2-5 seconds to open, same with Gmail. A bit better when the apps are still in memory but otherwise very noticeable. I use SwiftKey as well and it is much slower to pop up and display predictions.

Love to hear anyone else's thoughts or suggestions!

• 3. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    Livedforsaken Regular Visitor

Yeah real great getting this stupid update! Change some stupid small features and some pretty menus... Problem now is the phones run like ****! I've have to remove all my widgets clean every extra little bit of space off I possibly could, and it still runs slower then my girlfriends flip phone! At least she can text without having to wait a minute and a half for the keyboard and message to load, just to have it crash again right away. The web browser is so of balance it took me 10-15 min to try and log in the **** site, and if this stupid keyboard doesn't quit moving up three lines when I wanna backspace, and then back down when I try and fix it... I'm DONE WITH  THIS P.O.S !I liked my phone before this, it ran smooth and it did what I needed it to and when... Now it doesn't matter what I do I can't even clear enough speed to make it operable to the point that after this message and one to sprint, I'm done trying to fix it. And unless they put out some **** real quick to fix it, or allow me and anybody else dealing with this ******** they tried shining up to shove down our throats... Then they can turn this thing side ways and I'll show them the only thing it's even still good for.

• 4. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    MahlonP Valued Member

NC1999 wrote:

What have been your experiences with ICS on the Evo Design 4G? I've had it for about a day, and while I love the new features (launcher bar and removing unused desktops)  but... everything is slower :-( messages app takes 2-5 seconds to open, same with Gmail. A bit better when the apps are still in memory but otherwise very noticeable. I use SwiftKey as well and it is much slower to pop up and display predictions.

Love to hear anyone else's thoughts or suggestions!

Pretty much everyone in the Design community across a few forums including myself has experienced the lag. Some are also experiencing app crashes. I usually hard reset after OS changes since there's no clean install option but haven't done it yet. Leftover bits sometimes cause errors and what not in Android. However I've read that even people who have done so still experience the lag but this has stopped the crashing for pretty much everyone.

• 5. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    sirxtreme Newbie

I seriously dislike this so called upgrade I would love to get my old upgrade back or shoot this phone and go to some other phone company.

• 6. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    Buzzn Newbie

Sure would like some help with this update. A link to a help guide. A how-to. Something. I can't find how to make folders on my home screen. And how do you add screens? A lot changed and I can't find information about it.

• 7. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    14iron Regular Visitor

folders in the launcher bar (on either side of the 'all apps'  button) ...  long press home screen and select the app.  once it shows up on home screen, long press and drag to the bar. also,  long press an app on the launcher bar to remove it...  the remove area now upper right corner.     can't add more than 7 home screens...  but long press home button to display all screens,  the main screen can't be removed. and it should be highlighted,  long press a screen and drag to remove area in upper right now.  now u have 6 screens and notice the remive area has a +sign to add screens.  hope this helped

• 8. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    inconsolable_me Valued Member

Is anyone else missing their music???! I'm fairly alarmed by this. I'll continue to check and post my results. Also, I've noticed that my internet browser is slower and clunky now. And my D4G comes back from lockscreen horribly now. The animation is no longer smooth and transitional. All in all, everything is clunky now. Like a drunk, rusted Tin Man. I'm sad now.

• 9. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    WillyJShow Newbie

Agreed, This update sucks. My camera doesn't work and my phone is slower than ****. The browser is blured and choppy. not smooth at all. WTG HTC, Sprint, Android or whoever built this abomination. I have a pretty paperweight. I give you the middle finger until this is fixed.

• 10. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    MahlonP Valued Member

inconsolable_me wrote:

Is anyone else missing their music???! I'm fairly alarmed by this. I'll continue to check and post my results. Also, I've noticed that my internet browser is slower and clunky now. And my D4G comes back from lockscreen horribly now. The animation is no longer smooth and transitional. All in all, everything is clunky now. Like a drunk, rusted Tin Man. I'm sad now.

After a hard reset, things are better for me. Reinstalling my apps by necessity and so far things are still smooth. There's still some minor UI lag but mostly milliseconds compared to waiting 1s-5s as it was before the reset. Everything that was on my SD Card is still there, including my music, videos and pictures (before and after reset). Most of the apps that store their preferences or data on the SD card kept their previous settings when I reinstalled them.

One thing I did notice prior to the hard reset was that the update broke the link between Contacts and the Call Log. All the numbers were listed as unknown and I had to edit contact numbers (adding and removing hyphens) for them to reassociate themselves with the call log. A minor personal preference. Additionally, they removed the SMS totals from the Messages app. I liked knowing how many texts were in a particular conversation. I am unaware if this feature was removed in an earlier update because I went straight from the release version to ICS. The browser seems to be a bit tempermental compared to before, and flash was disabled by default in the settings. I'm getting used to it and trying Chrome for Android as well to see which behaves better.

• 11. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    evo0602 Regular Visitor

This update has caused my phone to be VERY slow....opening apps sometimes takes up to 10-15 seconds. Some apps, like FB, are unbearably slow and the words are blurry!!!

• 12. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    SHGADOG2 Newbie

Lost music, video and pictures after upgrading to 4.0 on EVO 3D.  Help!  Is there a fix?

• 13. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    GROMANJR Newbie

I didn't lose my music or anything else, so far, but I cant get into my text messages since the update this morning. I get messages and I see the notification, then nothing. I go to open it and it hangs on the loading wheel. Hopefully there is a fix to this or something, I don't pay money every month to have a half usable phone.

• 14. Re: 7/31/12 - HTC EVO Design 4G Software Update - 3.14.651.0
    14iron Regular Visitor

hey,  initially lost?  my gallery folders as well.  did a restart that brought them back though.   I've since done a factory reset which has not helped me as much as some other ppl.  update your profile and prl.  have had more issues with the browser.  gonna try chrome for kicks...

1 2 3 8 Previous Next