This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 7:46 PM by gujaratiboy RSS

HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself

octanejane Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I am not sure if this has to do with some updates my phone recently underwent, but it seems like I suddenly have 4G coverage in my area now (hooray!), and since then--within the past week--I've noticed that my phone insists on having either WiFi or 4G on at all times. I shut them both off at work to save battery, and inevitably I will check my messages later and find that whichever thing I shut off last--usually WiFi--has triggered the other one to turn on. This is annoying and should be up to me, not my phone. Unless 3G doesn't work at all, I can't understand the point of this. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

 

Thanks.

  • 1. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee
    Currently Being Moderated

    Check to see if the Sprint Connections Optimizer is turned on in your settings. It prioritizes 4G/WiFi connections over 3G since they are faster connections.

  • 2. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    fireguy_6364 Master
    Currently Being Moderated

    having your wif on usually will save more on your battery than 3G.. you should be able to go into your settings and turn of the connections optimizer (automatic connections on the OEVO..not sure if its called the same thing on the LTEVO) if you REALLY dont want the phone to have control..personally i would keep it running like this for a while and check it out..its going to automatically pull up whichever connection is the best...which usually means better battery life.

     

    this comes in REALLY handy for those that always forget to turn off their wifi connections when they leave that wifi area..instead of it constantly searching for a connection it will only do it so often..

     

    side note though. manually turning on/off either the wifi or 4G connection will reset the optimizer..it WILL however eventually turn itself back on.

     

    additional side note..the connections optimizer will usually only search out connections you have saved to the phone already...unless you have the notifications deal checked...personally i unchecked it so its not constantly trying to link up and notify me of a new available connection

    octanejane wrote:

     

    Hello,

    I am not sure if this has to do with some updates my phone recently underwent, but it seems like I suddenly have 4G coverage in my area now (hooray!), and since then--within the past week--I've noticed that my phone insists on having either WiFi or 4G on at all times. I shut them both off at work to save battery, and inevitably I will check my messages later and find that whichever thing I shut off last--usually WiFi--has triggered the other one to turn on. This is annoying and should be up to me, not my phone. Unless 3G doesn't work at all, I can't understand the point of this. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

     

    Thanks.

  • 3. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    octanejane Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    AHA! Thank you! Was that part of a recent update? I have never seen it before or noticed it taking over my phone, but I found it and shut it off. Thank you so much!

  • 4. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    octanejane Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    Thank you! I REALLY do not want my phone controlling itself. My WiFi at work is not open. I have to apply for a password that I'm not allowed to change to something easy, and I have to retype that password every time I try to use the internet or check my email or anything at all, AND, I have to reapply for a password every 30 days. It could not be more annoying. There is a hidden WiFi that doesn't require all that bull, but it's only for company-supplied cell phones, which mine is not.

    So I can shut off the optimizer, but I'm going to have to keep shutting it off every day? Did I understand that right? WHYYYYYYYYYYY? I think that's actually just as annoying as my previous problem, but at least I know what to do now. I'm sure many people have trouble understanding their cell phones (my boss, for example) and are perfectly happy to have their phones control themselves. But I much prefer to be the one in control. Ugh. Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

  • 5. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    octanejane Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    p.s. Forgot to say, the 4G signal strength inside my office building is poor, so leaving it on does not improve anything. Otherwise I would be happy to just leave it on instead of WiFi.

  • 6. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    fireguy_6364 Master
    Currently Being Moderated

    1-go into your wifi settings and uncheck wifi notifications. then go into your wifi connections and if you see either of those locations in there select it and then hit forget. that should eliminate it ever trying to pull those back up.

     

    2-you should be able to go into settings-wireless and networks-mobile networks- and it should be under automatic connections. if you see it there then go in and uncheck it.

     

    octanejane wrote:

     

    Thank you! I REALLY do not want my phone controlling itself. My WiFi at work is not open. I have to apply for a password that I'm not allowed to change to something easy, and I have to retype that password every time I try to use the internet or check my email or anything at all, AND, I have to reapply for a password every 30 days. It could not be more annoying. There is a hidden WiFi that doesn't require all that bull, but it's only for company-supplied cell phones, which mine is not.

    So I can shut off the optimizer, but I'm going to have to keep shutting it off every day? Did I understand that right? WHYYYYYYYYYYY? I think that's actually just as annoying as my previous problem, but at least I know what to do now. I'm sure many people have trouble understanding their cell phones (my boss, for example) and are perfectly happy to have their phones control themselves. But I much prefer to be the one in control. Ugh. Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

  • 7. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    fireguy_6364 Master
    Currently Being Moderated

    true...but that 4G connection might be better than the 3G connection youre currently getting lol...worse case scenario (if youre only getting 4G at a few places and dont really use it as of yet) go into your settings and change it from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only...it will then not search for the 4G signal..even with the optimizer turned off it will still keep pulling up that 4G signal because its still looking for the LTE/CDMA.

    octanejane wrote:

     

    p.s. Forgot to say, the 4G signal strength inside my office building is poor, so leaving it on does not improve anything. Otherwise I would be happy to just leave it on instead of WiFi.

  • 8. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee
    Currently Being Moderated

    octanejane wrote:

     

    Thank you! I REALLY do not want my phone controlling itself. My WiFi at work is not open. I have to apply for a password that I'm not allowed to change to something easy, and I have to retype that password every time I try to use the internet or check my email or anything at all, AND, I have to reapply for a password every 30 days. It could not be more annoying. There is a hidden WiFi that doesn't require all that bull, but it's only for company-supplied cell phones, which mine is not.

    So I can shut off the optimizer, but I'm going to have to keep shutting it off every day? Did I understand that right? WHYYYYYYYYYYY? I think that's actually just as annoying as my previous problem, but at least I know what to do now. I'm sure many people have trouble understanding their cell phones (my boss, for example) and are perfectly happy to have their phones control themselves. But I much prefer to be the one in control. Ugh. Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

    No, if you turn off the Optimizer it will stay off. If you leave it on and manually trigger WiFi/4G on/off then it resets the Optimizer for a period of time before it adjusts the settings automatically again.

  • 9. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    octanejane Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    Awesome, will do, thank you again. Also quick follow-up (after I threw myself under the bus saying that other people don't understand their phones, that was dumb!):  I did know that WiFi, when I can use it, does use less battery than 3G, but I just want to make sure: 4G still uses more than 3G, right? Battery-wise, it would not be better for me to stay connected to 4G even with poor signal strength than to revert to 3G?

  • 10. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    octanejane Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    Thank you! Sprint forums is so helpful and quick. I have learned a bunch of useful info today!

  • 11. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    fireguy_6364 Master
    Currently Being Moderated

    it REALLY just depends on your connection..the former 4G which was wimax wasnt as great battery wise..at least in the multiple places i used it it wasnt..but the 4GLTE side im still not sure of battery wise..if i were to guess with only some LTE towers finished im thinking its a toss up battery wise..once the whole network is 4GLTE then im sure it will be much better. to be honest i would just test it out..use the phone like normal with your LTE/CDMA still on with it connecting with the 4G..next day switch it to CDMA only and use it as close to the same as you did the day prior...firgure out which one used less.

     

    i can usually go a day and a half with my original evo on wifi..if i shut down wifi and try to work with the 3G speeds i get at home im lucky to get 8 hours. connection strength makes a huge difference.

    octanejane wrote:

     

    Awesome, will do, thank you again. Also quick follow-up (after I threw myself under the bus saying that other people don't understand their phones, that was dumb!):  I did know that WiFi, when I can use it, does use less battery than 3G, but I just want to make sure: 4G still uses more than 3G, right? Battery-wise, it would not be better for me to stay connected to 4G even with poor signal strength than to revert to 3G?

  • 12. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    fireguy_6364 Master
    Currently Being Moderated

    no worries..its what these forums are for.

  • 13. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    octanejane Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    Cool, I will check it out and see what I find. Thanks again! Have a great day.

  • 14. Re: HTC EVO 4G suddenly turning 4G/WiFi on by itself
    fireguy_6364 Master
    Currently Being Moderated

    welcome.

     

     

    also post what you find. others may find this info useful.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points