1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 5:13 PM by Pagette RSS

"Android OS" battery drain on ICS

paul_s83 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I notice that after my update to ICS this morning, my battery has been draining faster than with GB. When I check the battery stats menu, I see "Android OS" is using 30% and I don't remember it using anywhere near that much before. Anyone else notice this or have a fix?

• 1. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    AJAXX715 Newbie

i'm experiencing the same thing. unplugged my phone from its charger at 8am...it's now 2pm, i've hardly used my phone today, and it's at 6% battery life. smh.

• 2. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    Valued Member

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

• 3. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    meltmanTI Newbie

I have the exact issue after going to ICS

Battery life is about HALF of what gingerbread was. This is really frustrating as I now have to charge the phone to get through the day with light use!

• 4. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    paul_s83 Regular Visitor

I did a factory reset today, going to see if it helps

• 5. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    MikeFournier77 Regular Visitor

Any luck with the reset?  I am also experiencing high batery drain from "Android OS" and have been going back and forth about doing a reset.  I have also seen that the reset is somewhat hit or miss, but more hit.

• 6. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    CAS818028 Valued Member

There are countless threads on this topic. I have been communicating with Sprint Corp and you can see the discussions as I get them in my thread I started.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/450538#450538

• 7. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    paul_s83 Regular Visitor

The reset didn't seem to help so far. In the meantime I grabbed one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SK5HHW/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

I gues the only other option would be to try a community ROM but i'm lazy

• 8. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    madskillz0603 Newbie

Just a heads up to people having problems with the battery life.. With this new update you have to go into your setting and stop all apps that are running in the background that you do not use.. It will help your battery life a whole lot, as well as the little things like screen brightness and wifi off when not in use, things like that.. But i hope this helps some of you with this issue until there is a patch that might clean this up permently

• 9. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    paul_s83 Regular Visitor

DId that already

• 10. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    MikeFournier77 Regular Visitor

Me too.  The issue seems related to the actual ICS update and the FF18 kernel used.  There are a bunch of threads on XDA that discuss the many bugs that are part of the kernel.  With any luck, Sprint has pulled the update to fix these issues and will be releasing a fix soon.

For me, going from 18 hours of battery life on GB to about 6 (if i'm lucky) on ICS is not a welcome update.

• 11. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    madskillz0603 Newbie

I'm doing my own test right now to see how long my battery last, after getting the update last night.. I'm at 5hrs right now with about 43% battery life still left, this is after downloading some updates this morning also downloading a bunch of new apps, instagraming and fbing too.. So i guess i will see how much longer it will go until i have to plug it into the charger.. I do notice a difference with the life of the battery though.. I was never able to get 18hrs on my s2 but i average around 12-14hrs on a normal day. I'm sure they will have a fix to this issue as well.. Lets hope they dont leave us hanging with it..

• 12. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    _Antonio_ Regular Visitor

[SOLVED] (for me anyways)

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

• 13. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    paul_s83 Regular Visitor

The extended battery is amazing. Adds a little size and weight but not too bad. It's 4100mAh....

• 14. Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS
    careoshi Regular Visitor

I got this battery issue others are describing and have finally managed to eliminate it completely, without disabling wifi while sleeping, turning off syncing, doing a factory reset or any of the other proposed solutions I've seen (all of which I tried, and none of which worked).

What did work was wiping the system cache partition. To do this, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Since then, Android OS has gone back to its normal power consumption levels (around 15% instead of 50+%), and the phone has been entering "deep sleep" mode as normal (even with wifi on, wifi in sleep mode set to "always", all my normal sync settings put back to the way they were under GB, gps and 4g enabled, and so on). Several annoying bugs and odd behaviors (including lock screen not working properly, occasional stutters and hiccups, and other assorted glitches) also are gone. Most importantly, battery life is back to what it was before the update.

Hope this approach works for others as well; ICS is quite nice, as it turns out, when it's working normally.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...