1 2 3 4 6 Previous Next 85 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2012 8:31 PM by seansprintuser Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    Tonyphan07 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

Phonton q will be the same as this phonton 4g. Just added keyboard n lte. Is unlocked just like the phonton 4g. U can use it oversea.

• 16. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

Tonyphan07 wrote:

Phonton q will be the same as this phonton 4g. Just added keyboard n lte. Is unlocked just like the phonton 4g. U can use it oversea.

With embedded SIM, you have to pay Sprint rate when using it overseas. Something like $4.00 or more a minute for a phone call where you can get local SIM for maybe $0.20 a minute

• 18. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    Photon_user_123 Newbie

!!!! Bad move on the "non-removable SIM"  !!!!!......

Guess I will keep my original Photon that allows me to put in any SIM card I want when traveling outside the USA.....that works fine.   

• 19. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    OniGokuMonji Newbie

Hmm 5 questions.....

Will is have a SIM SLOT?

Is there expandable MicroSD Slot?

Will it come is GB sizes of 16,32,64?

What processor does it have?

How much RAM will it pack?

• 20. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    TOMAS_ Gold Expert

I've been waiting for this device, but now that it is finally almost here there are two "features" that may prevent me from getting it.

I need the physical keyboard due to physical handicap, so "QWERTY devices" always get my attention.

This at first glance appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Excellent keyboard based on the Droid 2 and Droid 4, good size screen, LTE, etc.

Then I get to the details: Non-removable battery smaller than the removable/replaceable battery in my physically smaller Motorola XPRT international QWERTY phone and non-removable locked SIM as opposed to the removable/replaceable SIM in my XPRT.

This means no chance at all for an extended battery, the life of the device is directly tied to the life of it's original battery, and no using of local SIMs when traveling, but only the locked built-in SIM at an average of twenty times the price per minute.

I'm unbelievably disappointed in these design choices. What otherwise might be an ideal travel/business 4G QWERTY device crippled by two simple design choices.

• 21. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    Dave_from_TX Regular Visitor

@ Oni, please click on the link.  It should answer most of your questions.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-PHOTON-Q_id7253

• 22. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    Dave_from_TX Regular Visitor

@ Tomas, I can sympathize with your concerns.  I currently have the original Photon (which I love). 

I agree w/ the locked SIM.  Not ideal since we're dependent on Sprint exorbitant international charges.  I sincerely hope this is not a trend Sprint will continue for all future phones.

Based on initial spec leaks, I'm not thrilled the on-board memory is only 8 gig (compared to 16 gig on orig Photon).

However, I do like the LTE as well as ice cream sandwich right out of the box features though.

• 23. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    browns99df Regular Visitor

Whoa whoa whoa. Can someone confirm that this has a NON-REMOVEABLE battery?? Does the normal Photon 4G have that too??? Why the **** would they do that?

• 24. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

The original Photon has a removable battery.

I will keep mine for now

• 25. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

That's how I felt about the Evo LTE at first - boy am I glad I didn't let that get in the way of upgrading.  My phone has yet to die because of a low battery through the day and I use it from 6:30am to about 10:30 at night.  My OEVO I would go through at LEAST two batteries in a day.

• 26. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    TOMAS_ Gold Expert

_D4V1D_ wrote:

That's how I felt about the Evo LTE at first - boy am I glad I didn't let that get in the way of upgrading.  My phone has yet to die because of a low battery through the day and I use it from 6:30am to about 10:30 at night.  My OEVO I would go through at LEAST two batteries in a day.

It is not necessarily needing more battery to make it through the day, though that IS a strong consideration especially when traveling, but more of a question of what does one do when the battery can no longer handle the job.

Every single cellular device I've had so far has ended it's service with me while on at least it's second battery. Maybe I just keep my devices a bit longer than average, but I have found personally that the batteries reach the end of their truly usable lifespan long before the device needs to be replaced, and being able to simply pop in a new battery without a $100 visit to a repair center is a definite plus IMHO...

• 27. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

Oh absolutely - there's definitely benefits in having a removable battery, and your example of longevity is one of the strongest points.  I will certainly be curious to see how these new batteries hold up over the test of time - I suppose my biggest concern originally was day-to-day and that has certainly been addressed.

• 28. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    JLG058 Valued Member

@browns99df  The HTC Arrive tilts up.  It runs Windows Phone 7.

I'm excited to see this phone come out.  That qwerty looks sweet.  However, I'm disappointed to hear about a non-removable battery as well.  Do we know how big the fixed battery is?  I suppose if it is large enough to handle a heavy load then I'd be ok with that.  And I believe if you carry the monthly insurance you wouldn't have to pay $100 for a battery swap at a repair shop.  The deductible I believe is only for damage and loss.

edit:  Just read the specs as given by the link to phonearena.  1785 mAh isn't very big for a fixed battery.  I sure hope those who have said it is a fixed battery are wrong.

edit #2:  Just thoroughly read the specs from Motos site.  It most definitely says embedded 1785 mAh battery.  Unless they've done some magic with how their battery holds a charge, that is way too low.  My Galaxy Nexus has an 1850 removable and it is underwhelming in battery life.

Message was edited by: JLG058

• 29. Re: Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE, Coming Soon
    crogs Regular Visitor

I'm not excited anymore. I was up until the point all the specs were released. This is a "business class device, right? Then why the **** did the cripple the **** out of it? 

The embedded SIM card is a travesty. All of their world phones are unlocked or easily can be. So this is the first one that isn't? Now I'll have to carry a second phone when I go to Europe. Even the iphone has a removable SIM  and that ecosystem is about as closed as it gets.

Embedded battery? I'm a pretty heavy user and am often in signal challenged areas for extended periods of time. I can be on a 3rd 1800mAh battery on my Epic by late afternoon. When an embedded batteried phone dies, it's dead unless you're tethered to a charger or ac outlet of sorts. That's just unacceptable unless a company like Mophie makes some sort of slice battery pack that integrates with the keyboard side. I'm sorry, but I thought companies were now trying to differentiate themselves from Apple, not try to be more like them. I can't take a chance on a dead phone or worry about being tethered to a charger or outlet. If it's an outlet, I'm just supposed to sit and wait until it has sufficient charge I can start actually working again? The Maxx has a what, 3300mAh battery or almost DOUBLE of what this has? Aren't embedded batteries supposed to be bigger because they're not restricted by the casing for it as well as the connection point?

And qHD? this is 2012 and this is a premium phone, right? This is coming out after the Atrix HD. aHD would be a nice upgrade for a 4" device. At 4.3", if I"m dropping $200, I want an HD screen.

The Epic was such an anamoly. It was the only premium slider that went toe to toe with its slate counterparts. Every slider since has been crippled in some sort of way. This is no exception.

I had a Photon as a backup phone and to start taking on overseas trips and was all set to throw it up on Craigslist when this was announced. Well it's still going up on Craigslist. I'm done with Motorola. I can't even recommend to any of our reps because of the embedded battery.

The Epic is the first phone I've had for more than a year and more than two years. Looks like I'll have to last four years since I'll have to wait another two for an upgrade since Sprint seems to be on two year cycles with new sliders. Heck, two would be generous as it's more like 2 1/2yrs. Time to complain to ask Dan  and my care rep. Maybe move a couple more lines a way. Our $36k/yr account isd down to $32k. will be under $30k soon enough and they wonder why I leave as many phones out of contract as possible.

1 2 3 4 6 Previous Next