This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2012 2:59 AM by tititron Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Nextel direct connect
    msbarnboss Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

So it seems friends and family are starting to switch over to the Sprint DC and they aren't happy campers.  I tried to talk to a relative in FL the other day and it was useless.  He had just gotten new phones with Sprint DC for all his employees and not one of them had anything good to say about the new DC.  I'm going to try to hold out until the last minute to see if things improve at all.  I've been looking into Verizon's PTT but I haven't really had any luck with finding anyone who has it and uses it.  Although I did hear that many of the local police and fire are switching over to Verizon PTT.  I use my Nextel DC more than I use my phone to make phone calls.  If I can't get the same or better level of service with Spint DC I have no reason to stay with Sprint after being with them since they bought Nextel.  Hopefully as it gets closer to the time for Nextel to be cut completely the new DC will have been vastly improved.  I can't see myself signing on for 2 years without knowing the capabilities of the new service.  I'll continue to research and hopefully when I HAVE to give up my phone I'll make the right choice.   

• 16. Re: Nextel direct connect
    east82 Regular Visitor

Someone from this forum posted recently that NII Holdings (Nextel Latino America) plans to upgrade their towers around September of this year to integrate with Sprint service like before.

Until then, people with SDC can make international DC from the U.S. to Mexico, but will not be able to roam within Mexico like Nextel did.

My family lives in San Diego, and work in Mexico. We depend on this Nextel as our primary method of communication. I hope Sprint and NII Holdings make this process easier and faster.

• 17. Re: Nextel direct connect
    ambustias Newbie

Wow!! Good Luck on this one...it's Good to know this since I was planning to do the same :-)

• 18. Re: Nextel direct connect
    Ultima333 Regular Visitor

I actually talked to one of their international representatives on the phone and they explained that they 'might' be doing that after 2013 but he never gave me a clear answer on that, he told me that I could wait and see, pretty much and he was one of their site managers. After him, I was so convince with his explanation so I spoke with 5 others that were supposed to be representatives on regard that and I spent quite the amount of time talking to them and they all had similar explanations. I hope the make it the way it use to be but I wouldn't get my hopes up, so far sprint has been really pushy and liars to me, so I can't really say that might be true.

• 19. Re: Nextel direct connect

Glad I could help; I wish there were people that shared their experiences so I could had been warned beforehand. It was a nightmare and very frustrating and I wish that no one has to go through what I went.

• 20. Re: Nextel direct connect
    memo1180 Valued Member

Truth is even if you have proof they will not honor it, it happened to me with a Blackberry, they said I just needed the $10.00 Add on for data, and afterwards said the only way I could use data was with an unlimited plan, so I just decided to cancel data, not worth it. I am just waiting for my contract to expire, I do not want to give them one more cent than what I need to, waiting for another alternative [...]

Message was edited by: mapesy

• 21. Re: Nextel direct connect

Well when I renewed my plan about a year ago, I was given the total plan charges for my new plan, it turns out that the bill the next month was $100 more of what they told me and the guy that renewed my plan told me it was actually going to be cheaper of my current plan (he was the store manager by the way). I went to talk to him but he was always busy in his office or not in his office, which he was since it was pretty obvious that his car was outside the store. I went everyday for an entire week until I got a hold of him and he pretty much told me that he wasn't sure what happened and that he could 'fix' it. He said he would contact me when it was done so I waited a few days and got nothing, then I call him and he said he was working on it. Well the 30 days had passed by then and when I went personally to the store, he goes and tell me that he wasn't able to do anything about it anymore and that I couldn't cancel without a fee or return my phones back which I had spent over $1,000 on them. I went and talk to the region manager which was staying in another store and I explained my situation to her, then she told me "How do I know you are telling me the truth, I need to investigate this or bring me where he wrote the money amount we were suppose to charge you". I was very mad at this point and was actually very close to getting me a lawyer but I wanted to get this fixed as soon as possible and at that time I was going to college and working so my time was very limited. So I come back with a paper that I luckily had him write the dollar amount on and showed it to her, then she goes and tell me she can't fix anything but could cancel my plan for a fee of $200 per line on my 5 lines and she could be 'nice' enough to try and resale my new phones on the store but I couldn't get my full price back. I was really really really mad at that point, so much that I didn't go to sleep at all that night and early in the morning I talked to sprint customer service for at least 8hours until I got a hold of someone that could help which was back in Texas, I explained my situation and all they could do was give me a promotional deal which would take my PTT fees off for a year which got my bill down $75 but only for a year (still $25 more of what I previously had). This was just the start of a great year of sprint fun but the sad part is that I needed the PTT since my family lives outside of the US and we needed the 5 lines open, to tell you the truth the only reason why I even stayed with sprint was because we had no choice due to that.

• 22. Re: Nextel direct connect
    east82 Regular Visitor

Sprint lets you to change your plan anytime without extending your contract. In fact, you can change it via online.

I have 7 lines, 5 lines are just for PTT (I blocked cell/text/data, just PTT).

Given the fact that Sprint continues with the discount, you can change the most basic family plan with 700 minutes and keep the cost down.

• 23. Re: Nextel direct connect

Not when they can't change your plan back to your previous one and you are stuck in the current one that is offered. When my plan was changed, I was to be given a new plan that would cost less which ended up costing more which was suppose to lower my cost like you said but instead it higher it and when I tried to change it back if possible they said they couldn't and I tried to cancelled and I was stuck on my previous message dilemma. I understand what you are trying to say, but just changing my plan wouldn't fix my issue since the plans that were offered cost a lot more of what I had and my main point is that I pretty much was lied to keep the plan on the promise that would be fixed.

• 24. Re: Nextel direct connect
    Johanazavala Newbie

nobody has a clear answer to know what is happening with our nextel plans and i'm really worry about it since i use and have it to talk to my family and i normally used between the borders. If they are charging me more i'm gonna cancel my plan i have being a unhappy customer since i being with sprint they have excessive charges for everything the only reason i stay with it is because of nextel

• 25. Re: Nextel direct connect

I know how you feel, since there aren't many options for these services, we are pretty much forced to use this crappy service. Now that I'm no longer with Nextel, I found a few apps such as Zello and Voxer that lets you do something similar to DC but instead uses your data, you can even use your Wi-Fi connection and not have any plan, so you can use it in the US to call outside but can't use it outside the US since you would get charged international data charges, so it is pretty much like the new Sprint DC. I would give it a try and see if it works for anyone as a temporary measure until this issue gets resolve. The only issue with these is that you need a Smartphone with a data plan or a Wi-Fi connection, other than that they are pretty solid.

• 26. Re: Nextel direct connect
    tititron Valued Member

People just need to wait it out, If you live in San Diego, you are ABLE to call NII Nextel's in Tijuana with FREE of charge using the NEW SDC.  I myself have a Motorola Admiral and call daily to Tijuana from San Diego along with other border cities like Mexicali and have NO problem with calling and NO EXTRA CHARGE.  A lot of people are just posting stuff in this forum without FACTS!  Believe me this service is going to become the best PTT service in North America as Sprint Nextel and NII Holdings, LLC are working with the same 3G platform for their PTT services.  Mexico launches their 3G platform next month so we should be getting some different results.  Also, Sprint Direct Connect could be used in Tijuana or Mexicali along the border area as it currently picks up Domestic Roaming so if you happen to be in the Zona Rio, Zona Centro, Otay, Playas and or forming line to cross to the border, you're able to use the SDC already!!!!!  As you know the new SDC now covers 3x more coverage than the old Nextel Network in the United States which is HUGE people.  So get a grib on this new service being put out there for the old Nextel customers!!  I myself have been a customer for over 10 years both with Sprint and NII Nextel Mexico.

• 27. Re: Nextel direct connect
    east82 Regular Visitor

Hello,

After reading several posts by tititron, I'm getting Admiral soon.

Like many of you guys here, I depend on Nextel as my family and business partners spend majority of their times in border towns of Mexico.

Recently, my nextel service has been dropping like crazy, and I complained heck out of it. Sprint sent me this link: www (dot) sprint (dot) com (slash) upgradetoday

It leads to a special webpage for current nextel customers to upgrade their phones, which includes Admiral for noventa y nueve centavos with two additional years in contract.

I don't know about others, but as much as I love and respect other phone carriers, I have to stick with Sprint because of Nextel's unique multinational nextel network,

So I might as well give Admiral a try. If you don't have to stick with Sprint Direct Connect and can live with Zello or other applications, the link above gives Nexus and Galaxy s2 with a huge discount as well.

When I get Admiral, I'll write some of my first impression here, so those who are hesitant to upgrade can know how it is.

• 28. Re: Nextel direct connect
    east82 Regular Visitor

Hello,

As promised, here are my initial impressions on using Admiral.

First, I live in San Diego area, and in need to communicate constatly with people in Tijuana and Tecate.

It is a little different than typical Nextel phones, but I had no issue of adjusting it nor communiating with Nextel users both who live in the U.S. and border regions of Mexico.

They say they can listen to my voice clearly, and I can listen to their voice clearly as well.

Data, well..., anything compare to Nexte's lousy data speed, this is fast.

Apps work well. And more than anything: no dropped calls, full bars, and clear quality makes me a happy customer.

I haven't traveled down to Tecate or Tijuana yet, but so far, I'm positive with the experiences.

If anything happens, I'll keep you guys in the loop.

• 29. Re: Nextel direct connect
    memo1180 Valued Member

Supposedly the Admiral will still not work in TJ or Tecate yet, because Nextel Mexico has not yet upgraded their towers and service. One thing that Sprint has commented is that more than likely if you do travel you will be gettin roaming charges on DC calls. See the answer from wingland (Sprint Administrator)

"You'll be able to chirp Nextel customers in Mexico, but your Sprint CDMA phone with Sprint Direct Connect will be subject to International Roaming charges when you use it in Mexico - it could get costly.  Not as good a solution as the Nextel IDEN phones were.

However, coverage will be *huge* - far better than the IDEN network.  First phase is anywhere in the US with 3G data networks; second phase rolling out later this year will enable Sprint Direct Connect coverage on any 1xRTT network - Sprint or Roaming, giving you the largest push to talk coverage area of any carrier, with the fastest setup time and most of the features you expect on your push to talk solution."

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/87179?start=0&tstart=0