8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 2:29 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems

EMTX22 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Is anyone having problems with your SD card unexpectedly becoming removed from the phone without doing anything to the card? This is happening to me numerous times a day.  I'm hearing things like it could be that it is an old card (from a Sprint store tech that has the onsite repairs) or is it the phone?

• 1. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    smotrs Master

This came up once before that I know of and in that case it was due to the card coming from a previous phone, the OEVO in that case. What finally resolved the issue was reformatting the card or putting a brand new card in.

• 2. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

for the most part it can either be the card itself or a corrupt file...reformatting it will cure the corrupt file side of things..in my case a long while back it was the card itself..then again since theyre running a new phone they can always hop onto amazon and snag a 16gb-32gb and get busy when their bad selves..might as well upgrade since theyll be pulling all the info from the current sd card and dropping it into their computer anyways.

make sure to reformat the sd card through your phone and not with the computer..ditto if you upgrade to a larger sd card...put it into the phone and reformat it...then drop all your goodies back onto it

• 3. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    EMTX22 Newbie

Thank you for your response. I didn't think that taking the card from my BlackBerry would cause any problems since it was locked in.  I am getting a new card and hopefully this will solve it because I really love the phone!!!

• 4. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

normally it wouldnt...but you also have to factor in how long you have had that BB....and now that same sd card is now in another phone. sometimes they last quite a while..other times not as long. just depends on how much abuse it has had (phone heating up, drops, loading and unloading of apps/information, etc).

double reminder... first try pulling all your info onto your computer...make a folder and just dump the whole lot into there...unplug your phone and reformat the sd card..once its done plug it back into the computer and go ahead and dump everything back onto the sd card..retest and see how it works...it worked for me for a couple weeks then started messing up again...which is why i bumped up to the 16gb...

• 5. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    TheBrian8 Newbie

I hope my experience will help someone.  I connected my phone with USB cable to my laptop to transfer all the files.  To my immediate horror and surprise, there was no card found, as I had sort of supposed it might recognize the external card once I connected the phone.

So, I powered my phone off.  I removed the top back cover, which is easily done by sliding it towards the top.  You see the SD slot on top left as you stare at open cover.  This was not obvious by the simplistic tutorial on the Sprint site and the few vids on YouTube.  (violins playing my pity symphony?)

I removed the SD Card, 8 Gb Sandisk.

Powered on phone again.

With phone on, I put card back in SD slot.

The phone immediately recognized and then mounted the card, and all my photos/vids/other files showed back up.

From what I read on other forum sites, it might behoove me to just put in a brand new SD card, but I will live with this for now.
    I will dump all contents to my laptop now that the card is recognized.

Just wanted to post to the forum, in case anyone else experiences this as well.

BTW, I had been using my phone for about 1 month now, no problems, no nothing, just out of the blue, the card was not mounted.
    I had not downloaded any apps recently, or done anything out of the ordinary, just simply using my phone.

I had transferred my SD card from my old Sprint HTC EVO 4G (not the 3D, but the original).

Good luck.

Brian

• 6. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

your phone is new...your sd card however was not.. which means that sd card is getting pretty old already.

TheBrian8 wrote:

I hope my experience will help someone.  I connected my phone with USB cable to my laptop to transfer all the files.  To my immediate horror and surprise, there was no card found, as I had sort of supposed it might recognize the external card once I connected the phone.

So, I powered my phone off.  I removed the top back cover, which is easily done by sliding it towards the top.  You see the SD slot on top left as you stare at open cover.  This was not obvious by the simplistic tutorial on the Sprint site and the few vids on YouTube.  (violins playing my pity symphony?)

I removed the SD Card, 8 Gb Sandisk.

Powered on phone again.

With phone on, I put card back in SD slot.

The phone immediately recognized and then mounted the card, and all my photos/vids/other files showed back up.

From what I read on other forum sites, it might behoove me to just put in a brand new SD card, but I will live with this for now.
    I will dump all contents to my laptop now that the card is recognized.

Just wanted to post to the forum, in case anyone else experiences this as well.

BTW, I had been using my phone for about 1 month now, no problems, no nothing, just out of the blue, the card was not mounted.
    I had not downloaded any apps recently, or done anything out of the ordinary, just simply using my phone.

I had transferred my SD card from my old Sprint HTC EVO 4G (not the 3D, but the original).

Good luck.

Brian

• 7. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    smotrs Master

Wait... are you saying SD Cards don't last forever??

homealone.jpg

• 8. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE - SD Card Problems
    fireguy_6364 Master

they last about as long as underwear/socks purchased from a flea market lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points