This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 3:46 PM by GForce-1 RSS

Sprint Backhaul Demotivational

GForce-1 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

This was my reaction when I heard Sprint was using a T1 connection for its backhaul:

Sprint's Backhaul.png

Basically, the idea is I'm imagining Sprint's towers are all connected to the internet by a DSL cable plugged in the back.

• 1. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    M09856 Expert

GForce-1 wrote:

This was my reaction when I heard Sprint was using a T1 connection for its backhaul:

Sprint's Backhaul.png

Basically, the idea is I'm imagining Sprint's towers are all connected to the internet by a DSL cable plugged in the back.

It's actually worse than a good DSL connection. With good DSL you'll get 24/7Mbit/s. Most sprint Sprint cell sites have 3 T1 lines or 4.5/4.5Mbit/s @ 1.5Mbit/s per T1.

• 2. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    GForce-1 Valued Member

Standard DSL runs from 1-3 Mbps. I don't know who your DSL provider is, but that kind of DSL is brutally expensive. That's why nobody has DSL that fast. It is cheaper to get cable internet at the equivalent speed for about 10 Mbps and up. I would not consider 4.5 Mbps very slow for DSL.

• 3. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    texas-saluki Regular Visitor

ok I can say with authority this is not true.... The Sprint backhaul for LTE is typically fiber well over the speeds of DSL.  They may use T-1's for their legacy networks but so does many others but they are quickly going away.

When I get LTE on my Galaxy Nexus it screams

• 4. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    GForce-1 Valued Member

I was talking about their current backhaul (i.e. the majority of their towers) as opposed to their future backhaul. I heard about the fiber upgrades, but a T1 backhaul is unacceptable at any point after 2007.

• 5. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    texas-saluki Regular Visitor

Well... there is more than a single T1 to each site. The max download for EVDO is about 1M in real world and each site has atleast 4 -5 T1's which in practice is enough capacity.  In places where they need more capacity you will see sites with multiple DS3's.  VzW has the similar limits in their legacy CDMA network.  Your speeds may suck because the site is trying to support more users than ideal (more interference) and drives down data speeds

Now I am not saying this is good... and is why we see CDMA carriers pushing agressively to LTE and backhaul comes along for the ride as it is needed to enable the multi megabit up and download speeds. 

this site has some more information... I think Sprint has ton of markets planned for this year and next.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19

• 6. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    AwaitingModeration Silver Expert

Part of the problem is Sprint does not own the connection to the tower. They awarded contracts for the upgrades a little over a year ago, and usually end up waiting for the local TelCo to provide the connection to a neutral 3rd party, which hands it off to Sprint.  Until yesterday the FCC required a 3rd party to handle the connection to keep the competition from dragging it's feet, which IMHO is an uter failure. I read on another forum where NV has been installed, and they are still waiting for the fiber connection. 

• 7. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    GForce-1 Valued Member

Um, no,  the max speed for EVDO Rev. A is 3.1 Mbps, and if Sprint's backhaul was enough, its 3G speeds wouldn't be less than half of Verizon's. According to PCMag, Verizon's national average is 910 kbps, and Sprint's is 410 kbps.

• 8. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    AwaitingModeration Silver Expert

GForce-1 wrote:

Um, no,  the max speed for EVDO Rev. A is 3.1 Mbps, and if Sprint's backhaul was enough, its 3G speeds wouldn't be less than half of Verizon's. According to PCMag, Verizon's national average is 910 kbps, and Sprint's is 410 kbps.

Speed depends on so many things, distance to the tower, signal strength, time of day (A downtown tower at 5 PM will be close to if not max'ed, at 5 am no one is there) so I am not so sure anyone can accurately measure a carrier's speed as there are so many variables. I can find the article, but a few years back a test was done with AT&T, and by moving 1 block east of where they were standing their speed doubled.

• 9. Re: Sprint Backhaul Demotivational
    GForce-1 Valued Member

But their average speed can. That's why it was done in multiple locations, multiple times in several cities across the country. If their average speed is lower, they are clearly doing something wrong with a lot of their towers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...