5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 1:42 PM by darius697 RSS

Can this be fixed (Samsung Galaxy S III) [Pictures Included]

darius697 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi World!

Can my local Sprint store repair this... (Corpus Christi, TX)

Just a quick question... My unprotected Galaxy S3 just fell put of the car and hit the concrete...(screen first) the Screen is 100% fine. [Very strong glass by the way, my aunt drop it on the hardwood floor and it was still perfect. Its the concrete that does the damage!] There's just a one unpleasant crack on the left side on the frame... and there's two little unpleasant scuffs on the Gray/Silver frame that circles around the phone... I know, I know.. WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A CASE? I order one yesterday and sure enough it falls the next day... If the can be fixed, could someone give me an estimate on how much they would charge? That would be great. There is a second scuff on the bottom of the gray frame aswell, I only took one of the top... (See First Picture)

Here a pictures... They might be a bit hard to see... Picture0006.JPGAs you can see there is a small crack on the which I conviently circled in red. It looks unpleasant if you ask me... Please tell me it can be fixed for the school year so I can show it off!

• 1. Re: Can this be fixed (Samsung Galaxy S III) [Pictures Included]
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

I'm sure it can be fixed. The phones are modular by nature so you should be able to swap out the part that is scratched/scuffed. As far as "repairing with something like glue or a plastic filler" that would require some expertise, if you don't want it to be noticeable. In your second picture it looks as if the screen has a little chip out of it. If that is so and its sharp, I would carefully take some 400 grit sand paper, wrap it around something like a pencil (a couple times around) and then lightly "file" down in one direction at a 45 degree angle. Avoid using your finger because the sharp edge could cut through the sand paper. 400 grit will take several times to do it but it does the job. If you do swap the part out it might be better to have a tech do it. If you have insurance ask if its covered, sometimes it is. One final thing keep an eye on the chip because sometimes a small almost microscopic fracture can develop and over time widen into a crack. Good luck, Rick.

• 2. Re: Can this be fixed (Samsung Galaxy S III) [Pictures Included]
    darius697 Newbie

Thanks. I took it to Sprint and they said there was nothing they could do... It doesn't have to be fixed but just less noticable. Now about the sandpaper. Could you give me a little more details. And about the scuff on the side... I think I can cover it up myself but I don't know exactly what material to use on it. Like i said it doesn't need to be fixed just less noticeable. Thanks! -Darius

• 3. Re: Can this be fixed (Samsung Galaxy S III) [Pictures Included]

I'll see if I can get some pics or diagrams in the am, Rick

• 4. Re: Can this be fixed (Samsung Galaxy S III) [Pictures Included]

20120829_073152.jpg

Here is an example of what I meant concerning the sharp edge of the screen. I had another pic but the upload failed. Regarding the scratches to the plastic housing sometimes you can "buff" them out by using using a very high grit sandpaper to smooth it then use a compound like "mothers mag polish" to bring it back to glossy. If you attempt to do this I would first find a piece of plastic that is as close to what the phone is made of as possible and see how it works. It is possible to put a "glossier" finish on the plastic than original so be careful this isn't for the faint of heart. I polish marble, granite and metal in my profession and though I think it can be made to look better with these techniques there is a risk of making it worse so I would look into replacing the plastic housing first or better yet get a minimal case like a TPU case with a screen cover such as "Specter for Samsung" made by Xgearlive. Here's the link:http://www.xgearlive.com/products/android/samsung/spectre Good Luck, Rick

• 5. Re: Can this be fixed (Samsung Galaxy S III) [Pictures Included]
    darius697 Newbie

Thanks slot! I definitely will be ordering that screen protector... I didn't even know it exist! Thanks a bunch! You were s real help.... :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points