This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 9:34 AM by Levi4u RSS

Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?

TZaifides Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hey all, I have the Sprint Everything Data 450 plan, I did not add any international options (calling, text etc).  I have googled, and ended up in these forums for multiple threads about the same question but the dates range from like 2008-2010 and want to make sure.

I have a couple friends in Canada now and received a few text with them and wanted to check this before I start going crazy back and forth.  WIll texting Canada cell phones add charges to my bill for an international text and also does it apply to MMS messages as well?  A ton of threads say NO, that this is as if it is a domestic call (Some say because theres no international code listed when texting), some people say NO as long as you just have a typical unlimited text plan, then some mention having an international plan.  I did call customer support but they seemed very hesitant in their answers and took awhile to even answer the question but they told me each text from the US to Canada will cost me .20 (And not even sure what an MMS would cost if extra).

• 1. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    Levi4u Master

You will not be charged for texting or MMS to Canada it's included in your plan.
    http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Send_text_messages_to_international_numbers/case-cx832318-20090918-173140?question_box=text%20to%20canada&id16=text%20to%20canada

text messages sent to or received from a Canadian number are charged at the same rate as domestic messages, according to your rate plan or messaging add-on.

• 2. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    TZaifides Newbie

Thanks Brother.  This is what I thought, but both people last night told me no.  So then after I saw your response this morning I called agian.  AGAIN the guy tells me, "It will cost you .20 per text" I told him "some guy" on your forum said thats not true and posted a SPRINT link about it.  He goes and reads me an article about the 10 charge a month for the international texting and I tell him I understand that, but thats not the same article.  He continues to read it and says that with that plan it works to text internationally as long as you are in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.  So I then said SO......Basically those are considered domestic places allowing me to text..so wouldn't that be equivelent to me texting any of those now.  He says let me talk to my supervisor.  Finally comes back and tells me Ok you're right, you can text for free (Even checked my couple canadian texts and didn't see a pending charge)  Told him thanks a lot, glad to hear it, and no disrespect but please recommend working on retraining some staff, as I really like you guys at sprint and have been loyal, but when two....plus you at the beginning tell me I would need a plan, and that yes i will be charged was completely inaccurate, you almost made me get a $10 plan for nothing to make you guys an extra 10 bucks even though I never would of needed it.

Case closed, YES you can text to canada for free, as well as MMS, and also to PR, US Virgin.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    xmas2012 Regular Visitor

i am sorry i have to reply to this yes when you text into canada your text rates are .20 a text but remember that in the price plans you only have unlimited texts in the u.s. so you will have charges for every text you send to canada at .20 each. the way its worded makes it sound like you will have no charges at all. just thought you should know

• 4. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    Levi4u Master

Sorry but your incorrect, Text to and from Canada are included in our plans and we do not get charged per text.
    http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/236363#236363

Regarding texting to Canada, here is what I confirmed with the Pricing folks:  "If a customer sends or receives a text with a Canada number, then that record will rate against the subscriber's underlying domestic text bucket. Said another way, Canada texts are rated like text messages from any domestic location, e.g., California, Utah, New York, or Florida.

Now the underlying plan is the key. If there is no text messages included in the plan then those Canada texts will rate at $0.20. If the customer has 100 texts included and a Canada message is # 101 then it will  rate at $0.20 as well as # 102 from Nevada will rate at $0.20 and so on."

merry_lacourciere wrote:

i am sorry i have to reply to this yes when you text into canada your text rates are .20 a text but remember that in the price plans you only have unlimited texts in the u.s. so you will have charges for every text you send to canada at .20 each. the way its worded makes it sound like you will have no charges at all. just thought you should know

• 5. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Levi4u is correct. Texting someone is Canada will count as regular domestic message and since you have unlimited there will not be a cost to you!

• 6. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    TZaifides Newbie

Hey XMas, I wanted to come back into this thread as an update.  Granted it was just text, so tone is hard to justify, but based on the "I'm sorry I have to reply" you seemed ever so confident on this topic, and talked down on the people helping.

My bill just came in, and ZERO additional charges came in from US to Canada SMS and MMS messages.  This also was based on the text counter with that person (May have deleted some prior) 775 messages with this person.  My bill is the same as it was the month prior, and prior to that.  This is the typical 450 everything data plan for 69.99 or whatever it is.

So I'm sorry I have to reply to this, but you were wrong, and I'd advise avoiding such confidence in a post tand jumping into the community forum with wrong information, as this is here to help people and there are far to many text to canada threads with different information and if someone quickly glanced at this, they may assume they can't text there.  This is very important because I believe I may have mentioned it somewhere, but one of the 3 people I contacted at Sprint who told me I would be charged, offered to add on the internation text plan which would have done NOTHING to me, except give them more money.

• 7. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    arlenstrauch Newbie

Hi.

Is was told by Sprint customer service that a text message to Canada or from Canada would cost me 20 cent per text. My family lives there and would love to text them for free. They offered the $10 deal as well. My son sent some texts to Canada before i was told that so I will carefully look at my bill. I don't think you would lie about a text fee, but it is weird that sprint says it cost 20 cents.

• 8. Re: Will I get charged to text someone in Canada?
    Levi4u Master

There is no charge to text to or receive text from Canada, It would seem since this has been the case for years that Sprint reps would know but it seems most don't and try to push the add on. If they talked you in to adding it call in and have it removed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points