This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 6:55 PM by Programmist RSS

Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

techbuyer Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Is there something wrong with my Samsung G3 phone because I cannot get 4 coverage anywhere in Dallas although the map shows LTE coverage and Sprint Press Releases state that there is coverage?

• 1. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

techbuyer wrote:

Is there something wrong with my Samsung G3 phone because I cannot get 4 coverage anywhere in Dallas although the map shows LTE coverage and Sprint Press Releases state that there is coverage?

To confirm that your phone is ready for LTE:

1) Ensure that you are running the latest firmware update, LG8.

2) Update your PRL in case you don't have the latest.

3) Enable LTE in Settings -> More settings -> Mobile networks -> Network mode -> Select LTE / CDMA, which restarts the phone if you need to change that setting.

After all that, you should be able to get an LTE connection somewhere in Dallas.  You might not be able to get it everywhere in Dallas because the tower buildout is still going on.

• 2. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

I am running L710VPLG8, updated the PRL numerous times, and the LTE/CDMA is selected.

I suspect that the availability of LTE is grossly overstated since neither me or anyone that I know can get it.

• 3. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

techbuyer wrote:

I am running L710VPLG8, updated the PRL numerous times, and the LTE/CDMA is selected.

I suspect that the availability of LTE is grossly overstated since neither me or anyone that I know can get it.

Sprint's own coverage maps are certainly overstated.  That has been proved time and again by independent testers.

However, the extreme hypothessis that there is no LTE coverage anywhere in the Dallas area has also been disproved time and again.  Lots of people report LTE coverage in certain parts of the area, and no LTE coverage in other parts   See, for example the relatively new crowdsourced maps at Sensorly http://www.sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint.

So if you have tried literally everywhere and have never detected an LTE signal at all, I would say your handset may be defective.

• 4. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

I took my phone by the Sprint store a couple of weeks ago at Preston - Park and asked that question specifically.

I was told not likely since they can't get LTE there and they hear the same complaints as mine all day long. Another Sprint store gave a similiar assessment.

If others can get LTE, please advise where so I can test my S3 phone there.

I humbly suggest that the coverage maps be updated to show where there really is LTE, along with an accurate disclosure as to the time frame for the buildout of the remainder of the area (rather than a PR stating coverage is now in Dallas).

As you can tell, the misinformation is very frustrating especially when friends with VZ show off their devices that really do have LTE coverage here in Plano.If it is going to be a year, simply say so, rather than keep our expectations up with inaccurate maps.

• 5. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

techbuyer wrote:

I took my phone by the Sprint store a couple of weeks ago at Preston - Park and asked that question specifically.

I was told not likely since they can't get LTE there and they hear the same complaints as mine all day long. Another Sprint store gave a similiar assessment.

If others can get LTE, please advise where so I can test my S3 phone there.

I humbly suggest that the coverage maps be updated to show where there really is LTE, along with an accurate disclosure as to the time frame for the buildout of the remainder of the area (rather than a PR stating coverage is now in Dallas).

As you can tell, the misinformation is very frustrating especially when friends with VZ show off their devices that really do have LTE coverage here in Plano.If it is going to be a year, simply say so, rather than keep our expectations up with inaccurate maps.

I'm not going to defend Sprint's own coverage maps, which I know to be hyped.

If you are serious about asking where to test your own phone because others have logged LTE coverage in certain spots in Dallas, try the areas in that Sensorly map I linked above.  (Sensorly only recently began recording Sprint LTE, so its maps are probably understated for lack of crowdsourced user data.  And all Sensorly maps are inherently understated because they are crowdsourced, and the crowds usually are on the major highways and arterials.)   I don't live in an LTE city, but I did test my GS3 deliberately in the only city with fully built-out LTE coverage -- Waco -- and found LTE pretty much all over the place.

• 6. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

There are two Sprint 4G listed at that site - presumably one is LTE and the other is WiMax (Clear) although they are not labeled which is which.

I will check in both areas but I don't expect much.

Thanks for your advice.

• 7. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

techbuyer wrote:

There are two Sprint 4G listed at that site - presumably one is LTE and the other is WiMax (Clear) although they are not labeled which is which.

I will check in both areas but I don't expect much.

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah, one is Wimax and the other is LTE.  Sensorly needs to fix the ambiguous labeling.  The link I provided above is the LTE version.

• 8. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    Joe_T40 Newbie

I drove around for 8 hours one day, 3 weeks ago looking for service, using the Sensorly map as a guide in the Dallas and surounding areas.  I found it once for about 30 seconds.  That was near 75 in Allen.

Today I found it for about 15 minutes near Alma and Hedcoxe.  I was also driving around just to try and find a signal. 

The Sensorly map only shows places where a phone connected at least once to.  It does not mean there is consistant coverage there.

The sprint maps are out right fictictious and they know this to be true. 

I also have a Galaxy S3. 

• 9. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    Joe_T40 Newbie

BTW, I have updated all the prls, profiles, software and firmware updates.  I also spent over 3 hours of that driving time 3 weeks ago on the phone with Sprint.  The woman on the phone kept telling me that she had a confirmed signal at that moment in those locations.  At 2 sprint stores they begrudginly confirmed that they very rarely ever actually seen any LTE service. 

• 10. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

Thanks for the info. I was beginning to think that it was just me.

I can not get LTE anywherfe the map shows.

I wonder if anyone out there is getting reliable LTE in Dallas?

• 11. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    JimmyOlsen Valued Member

@techbuyer:

For the sake of perspective, the latest update of the Running List of the project sites at S4GRU.com is still showing the DFW market at only 15 percent complete as of today.  This figure may include some towers that have been accepted from the subcontractor but still are not live for some reason, such as LTE radios awaiting new backhaul.

• 12. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

I went to one of the areas this morning that was on your web site link - as expected: No 4G.

In reality, the working LTE areas in Dallas probably are virtually nil (I agree the 15% figure is probably exaggerated).

If anyone is getting reliable LTE here, please advise.

• 13. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage

No response - So No-one in the DFW area is getting reliable 4G?

How about any usable 4G even if it is intermittent?

S4GRU report: (also mentions that many of these sites may be completed but are not operational)

"DFW* (Dallas/Ft. Worth)

...Sites Complete = 15%; LTE Launched = July 15, 2012

...Original Scheduled Completion = November 2012; Current Production Rate Completion = February 2014"

It would be greatly appreciated if Sprint would give us factual information and a definitive schedule (not coverage maps and press releases that are not credible)!

• 14. Re: Dallas LTE 4G Coverage
    chicagoclee Newbie

I get decent 4G coverage in the North Fort Worth area, especially in my own house. I also have the GS3.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...