1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 126 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 1:16 PM by Harvard_Dogmeat Go to original post RSS
  • 75. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    Tpherson2 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

When I orginally got my Airave, I set it up behind my router and it worked fine.  I needed this beacuse I need to access my desktop computer from remote locations and needed to foward the RDP ports from the router to my desktp.  A year or so later, Airave is no longer working.  So, I've done the following:

- Reset the Airave, attached it to my Comcast cable modem directly.  Got a cell signal, so the Airave seems to be working.

- Set a static lan IP for the Airave within my 192.168.1.xxx network.  Connected the Airave WAN port to LAN port on Linksys E3200 (internet working through router fine).  No broadband connection on Airave, can't find Airave on network, can't ping Airave, can't ping from Airave

- Same setup as above, but Put Airave in DMZ on Router, reserved Airave IP on router with DHCP Reservation on Router.  Still no broadband, still can't see Airave on network, still can't ping.

- Same setup as two items above, also forwarded ports TCP 5060 & 5061, UDP 53, 67, 68, 500, & 4500 to IP assigned to Airave.  Still no broadband, still can't see Airave on network, still can't ping.

- Same seyup as 3 items above, but also assigned Internet (WAN) IP on Airave to be in the 192.168.1.xxx range.  This time I get a solid green broadband light, but still can't see Airave on network, still can't ping.

So clearly, for whatever reason, the Airave is not connecting to the router and joining the network.  Any ideas?

Also, would this work?  What if I put the Airave in front of the router, assigned the router a static IP in the 192.168.17.xxx range and put the router in the DMZ on the Airave.  Would my RDP requests pass through the airave to the router and then be controlled by the port-forwarding on my router?

• 76. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    AggGrow Regular Visitor

I have a unique setup need and am looking for ideas.

I need to move a working Airave to another room.  Currently the Airave is behind a Linksys router.  What I'd be doing is putting it behind a second router, so the chain would look like this:

CM --- Router1 ----  (walls) ---- (via Ethernet) Router 2 --- Airave.

I never forwarded ports before and all worked fine.  I presume as long as IPSec is passed in both routers, It should work.  Some questions:

Can I have the Airave on the same subnet as Router 1, or must I setup a second subnet at Router 2?

What are the ports suggested earlier forwarded for?  What are the services?

• 77. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    yashJ Newbie

This solution is absolutely NOT working for me with my Airport Express. I have used the ip address 10.0.1.1 for my airport express and 10.0.1.201.

Because of the mixed comments about port 5060-5061 being UDP or TCP, I have both entered in port forwarding. http://cl.ly/ISO5

In addition to the other ports 53, 67-68, 4500 http://cl.ly/IS8B

Still however, The mobile light still keeps blinking amber. Anyone have any words of advise?

• 78. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    BABELF1SH Regular Visitor

okay.. so after reading all of these posts, here is my story and what I learned.

there are three versions of the Airave. The latest (version 2.5) is a whole lot easier to deal with. Here is what I did:

1. Left Airave alone

*Airave is already designed to get the IP from the ISP. My router will act as the ISP and will assign everything for it via DHCP.

2. Plugged my Router LAN into the Airave WAN.

3. Configured the Airave MAC to a static DHCP IP (for me 192.168.1.121) in my router

*Confirmed that the Airave was assigned that IP

4. Forwarded the following ports in my Router (5060-5061 UDP) to that static IP

*These are the _only_ ports needed for 2.5

After that I called Sprint to confirm that the device was registered (they need to know the MAC address of the Airave. Turned on the Airave and in a few minutes, we were ready to go.

Hope that helps anyone with a newer 2.5 version!

Also, I keep reading people writting about ping not working with the Airave. Since the Airave is a router (cheap one but still), it is most likely configured to not to respond to pings. Pinging 121 does not respond from any computer but I can verify via the Router that the MAC address is connected and is assigned that IP. I can also plug into the LAN on the Airave and go to 192.168.17.1 and look at what IP was assigned by the ISP (aka my router)

• 79. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello BABELF1SH, our internal documentation indicates that ports 53, 67, 68, 500, and 4500 in used by the 2.5, and are best left unfiltered. Where have you read that 5060 - 5061 are the only required ports?

• 80. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    kkrc2012 Newbie

Hi i have issues with airave 2.5 setup. i have the following setup. modem - vonage device- router - airave . i can't send message with s3. this setup works fine for apple 4s and htc evo.

any advise.

• 81. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    kevn38 Newbie

After installing Airave 2.5 the mobile light was blinking red. The problem was fixed in 10 minutes after calling 866-556-7310 for Airave support. They literally did all the work for me

• 82. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    neurocutie Regular Visitor

AggGrow wrote:

I have a unique setup need and am looking for ideas.

I need to move a working Airave to another room.  Currently the Airave is behind a Linksys router.  What I'd be doing is putting it behind a second router, so the chain would look like this:

CM --- Router1 ----  (walls) ---- (via Ethernet) Router 2 --- Airave.

I never forwarded ports before and all worked fine.  I presume as long as IPSec is passed in both routers, It should work.  Some questions:

Can I have the Airave on the same subnet as Router 1, or must I setup a second subnet at Router 2?

Why would you do what you are planning? Double NAT is just bad.

Why not use a simple hub/switch in place of Router 2? If you need a WiFI AP around Router 2, use a WAP instead. Many wireless routers can be put in a WAP mode, which is basically a hub sans NAT + an AP.

• 83. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    uneumann Newbie

I've read the posts here and they've been helpful - more so than the dozen or so calls I've made to the 866-556-7310 number.  Those conversations take hours of hold time and generally go through the same cycle of useful questions only to end with a "restart and we'll call you back"... which never happens.  So, my last hope is this forum...

I have Verizon FIOS service - which is great - high speed, no problems, all good on that front.  I have the verizon router MI424-WR.  I can't connect the Airave in front of the router since the router also handles my digital TV streams, and I don't think the Airave is up to that.  So, the Airave 2.5 has to go into one of the router LAN ports - I plug Airave WAN into router LAN 1 port.  I set up the router to assign the Airave a static IP address 192.168.1.3.  My home network sits on the router port 4.  After trying various port forwarding combos, based on what I read here, I currently set the Airave as a DMZ host and removed all the port forwarding rules.

It seems no matter what I do the results are the same - all green except for a blinking red mobile light.  Help!  

Can anyone from Sprint (RC1024?) or the great ethernet in the sky provide some help?   I'm about out of ideas on this.   

I can be reached by email if it's better to work 1 on 1.     [removed personal info]

thanks...

• 84. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    jgreening11 Newbie

For some reason I couldn't get mine to work either when assigned a static IP, DMZ, and port forwarding (Linksys WRT54G router). But when I turned off the DMZ and port forwarding and set the Airave back to receive a DHCP address from my router, it worked. Something to consider.

• 85. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    uneumann Newbie

FYI -- I cannot begin to express my utter dismay and frustration with Sprint at this point.  I have called them at least a dozen times - each time spending anywhere from 10 mins to 40 mins on hold listening to their inane jingle and recorded messages.  Each call connects to a different person who has to wade through my now quite lengthy problem-log, and they take me through the same idiot check-list of questions with some really bizarre twists like "make sure you're in sight of a cell tower".  Each call ends with a "we'll call you" and ridiculous platitudes about how sorry they are and how much they want to help me.

Most of the promised calls never come, or if they do call, I'm unable to get the call due to the poor reception at my home (the problem I’m trying to solve with the Airave), or since I do work for a living I miss calls since I can't always answer.  When Sprint people call and don't reach me I get the "you have 24 hrs to call this number" message.  So I call back and we go back around the cycle again… there is no end in sight.

So far I estimate that I have wasted at least 20 Hrs of my time on these calls meaning I have also wasted about 10 hrs of Sprint people's time.  This costs real money and raises real customer issues.  I initially thought it was good of Sprint to offer the Airave, but now I’m to the point where I will actively write online about this experience and refer EVERYONE I know away from Sprint.  I will wind up going to the local Sprint store to return the Airave and all my phones and I will simply DEMAND to cancel my contract due to lack of performance.  I'm sure I'm not the first or last to do so.  I'll go anywhere but with Sprint at this point.  This is a broken company.  They have no respect for their customers and they deserve to go bankrupt. 

I feel for the call center employees. It’s not their fault – they work and struggle under insane and ineffective policies and rules.  The MANAGEMENT is to blame – Customer Service should be FIRED en mass. 

We all hear complaint about govt agency bureaucracy.  I have had dealings with my local city, the IRS, and the infamous California DMV. They are all excellent service providers by comparison.  Sprint takes frustration and incompetence to a new level unmatched in my 50+ yrs of life experience.   Good riddance to them all.

• 86. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    good_guy Regular Visitor

After reading some of these posts after I chipped in my 2 cents a year ago, it's becoming clear to me that my situation is a very vanilla setup: motorola cable modem - netgear router - airvana airave.

I'm seeing posts where people are using landline telephony substitute/combo routers: vonage, comcast, att . . .

. . . and of course everyone is doing net-enabled blu-ray, flatscreens, ps3, xbox, etc . .

My humble suggestion is to seriously let a vanilla wifi router (pick your brand) be the point of demarcation after your modem (no combo modem/router сгар) from your service provider and let dhcp do its job.

Unfortunately I travel between two homes in sprint service shadows and I have to bring my silly airvana with me.

Let the unit power up and wait - in one house I have to use the external gps antenna - it takes a while.

Supposedly you're supposed to go to the Sprint website to update the zip code, but to be honest I never update it and it doesn't seem to matter in my case.

• 87. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    uneumann Newbie

Today I called Sprint one more time just to see what would happen – I must be getting into the habit of self-abuse.  The person who answered said they could not find my records… After weeks of calling this was not welcome news and I let him know that.  He suggested I start a new ticket… ha – like that was even a possibility.  I ranted in his ear for a bit – blood pressure rising steadily – and finally he connected me to somewhere in Airave support-land.  After only a few verses of that annoying jingle (I now hear it in my sleep) someone answered and we talked.  He found my records (yeah) and started poking around and lo-and-behold he found something was not setup on Sprint-side.  I don’t know the details, but he confirmed that something was incomplete or incorrect (doesn't matter which) and therefore my airave was never being “provisioned”.  Basically the Sprint system could see my airave but never did anything with it.  It was never enabled.  In a few minutes he did some magic at his end and asked me to reset my airave and withing 20 mins it was working.  Hallelujah.  My thanks go out to the gentleman that helped me.  You are a credit to your organization - in fact you should rule over the rest of them.

The lesson from all of this is that it appears that it’s always been a Sprint problem and nothing I did at my end (open ports, firewall, DMZ, etc) ever mattered one bit.  I was just wasting my time.  The real problem lay with the way my airave data was entered into the Sprint system (mac address, etc).  This was done incorrectly by a Sprint person and never detected by other Sprint people in spite of all the calls and time spent on this. 

So – my conclusion is that most Sprint people are clueless and their system simply passes you from one to another in hopes that you eventually find the one in about 20 people that are competent or trained to actually help you.  So if you have an Airave problem, the best solution is just to keep calling until you reach someone that seems to have a clue.  Sure it’s frustrating and you’ll hate your life and raise your stress level, but there is hope… after about 20 calls you may reach someone that actually does something and fixes your problem.  At least in my case there is a happy ending.  I can use my phone in my home now…  technology is wonderful. 

• 88. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    iubrian1987 Newbie

I don't see the need for any of this. Plug the Airave behind the router, and go.

I tried these steps previously, and had continuous problems, and eventually stopped using the Airave. When I got a bill from Sprint for not returning the unit, I decided to give it a shot again. The biggest problem I had is the person from account service said as long as I started using the unit again, they would detect it, and the charged would be removed. What she didn't tell me is that they had deactivated the phone number, so no matter what I did, I could never get a mobile signal. Dreading calling customer service, I tried every combination of static leases, messsing with Wan and Lan settings, etc. Finally called tech support, was treated well, and the tech didn't assume I was an idiot, and knew exactly what I was trying to accomplish. He reactivated the unit, I reset the router, cleared the static ip I had set up on the router, did not unplug, power cycle, nothing, just pugged into the router from the WAN (actually, into a switch behind the router), 20 minutes, all lights fine, no problems since. The only unique settings were I left all of the previously mentioned ports open, and I don't know if it makes any difference, my modem is in bridge mode (for unrelated reasons), so my ISP gets the login info from my router.

As a previous poster has mentioned, all of this screwing around with IP addresses and static leases should be uneccesary. First, you're not using the Airave as a router, so the LAN settings should not matter. Second, as to the WAN settings, the Airave doesn't know if it's behind a modem, a router, or a water buffalo, so there's no reason for it not to get the info through the router, just as it would thorugh the modem. And as for assigning a static lease, as a practical matter, the lease assigned by the router to the airave is a permanent lease, if not in reality, in practice. I suppose assigning a static lease might be useful for QoS settings, but you can probably assign those with the MAC address of the Airave anyway.

I agree the Airave is not the most reliable electronic device, which is one reason I put it behind the router, but I suspect the majority of problems related to putting it behind the router are related to the myriad of firmware and settings on routers, not the Airave itself. For me, the biggest improvement I had with regards to the quality and relaibilty of all of my network connections was putting the modem in bridge mode; if simply resetting the Airave and plugging it in doesn't work, that would be the next step I recommend.

• 89. Re: Setup instructions for Airave behind a router
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello iubrian1987, It is necessary in some circumstances to assign a static IP address. Some routers are combined with the modem as one unit, many routers will only allow one to assign QoS, DMZ, or port forwarding to an IP address, not a MAC address. How has the airave been working since you’ve started using it again?

1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next