1 2 3 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2013 2:06 PM by itsmerubend Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    smotrs Master
    Currently Being Moderated

Actually, yes they do. There are Sprint representatives on here all day long, they have a Sprint logo under their name. As for the stores and Customer Service, unless they are reading the daily bulletins, they may not be familiar with certain issues on certain phones.

• 31. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    Rhonda-F1 Newbie

We had this problem last night so we took it to the store this morning. The guy at the store put the phone on a charger and held down the power button and the home button at the same time. Then the phone finally powered back on. I have had to do it several times but the phone will power back on. Sprint did order us a new phone. Hope this helps.

• 32. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    Mus1cg1rl Newbie

I was the first one in the door when Houston stores started selling the HTC Evo 4g Lte.  I gave up my beloved Blackberry for it.  I love the phone, but, honestly...it has been quirky since I got it.  FIrst, it "ate" my mico SD card.  The tech took the one out of my Blackberry and put it in the new phone.  It worked fine for a couple of days and I was able to see all my pictures and listen to music that was stored on the card.  I even took new pics.  Then...I got the message "preparing SD card" and the card wasn't readable after that.  I took it out and tried reading it from my computer and no go.  I went by Sprint and the tech said if I put it back in my old Blackberry I could probably read it.  Nope!  Every device I use to read the card says "0 bytes".  I'm a techie and I tried various recovery tools and the card for all intents and purposes is damaged...useless.  So, I put a new SD card in and loaded it up and used it normally for a couple days.  Then the same thing happened..same message...card unreadable.  Something inside the phone is frying the card!  I'm on my 3rd SD card and sorry to say I don't use it to record pics or videos that I want to keep which really makes the camera useless to me.  I do play music from it and so far it's OK.

My other problem is the short battery life.  I have disabled all live aps, email push, etc. that would cause continuous battery drain and the phone is nearly dead by early evening.  I'm not a talker and do only normal texting.  Two days ago the phone gave me the 14% battery life message while I was texting.  When I got home I put it on the wall charger overnight and the next morning it wouldn't turn on.  I took it to Sprint and the first technician said for some reason the battery wouldn't charge and suspected the Micro USB port.  When I returned an hour later to pick it up, their service department reported they "replaced" the battery.  My response was, "I thought it didn't have a replaceable battery!?"  He quickly back-pedaled and said, "Not one the consumer can remove...we have to do it and we have to take the phone apart to do that."  The ticket reported "Battery was dead. Charged and held Power Button to re-establish normal operation.  Updated Profile/PRL. Now 4G is showing up.  USB Debugging mode was ON. It could affect data transfer from/to the device."  Di they or did they not replace a supposedly non-replaceable battery?  And why could the phone not charge?  I took it home and put it on my charger overnight and the next morning it reported a full charge.

I used it very little that day and by 4:00 I was getting the low battery message.  Again, I put it on my charger and it wouldn't turn on or charge.  This morning it is inoperable, will not charge, and no combination of pushing power/volume buttons has any affect.  I am going straight back to the Sprint store on way home from office and demanding a new unit!  I have full insurance and replacement coverage I am paying for, but this should NOT be happening with a new phone!  I also plan to report this to HTC, who needs to work with Sprint to debug this phone!

• 33. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    ShIzNiTs00 Newbie
    • the microsd thing is peculiar and maybe the short circuit is not just frying up your sd cards but the battery as well.  is the phone getting excessilvey hot?

• they CAN replace the battery much like people replace the iphone battery on ebay with a few tools and what not.

• make sure you are using the provided htc ac adapter and micro usb cable for now.  only use high grade accessories with the phone for charging.  not a crappy low quality control one from ebay that cost 50 cents.  i usually use belkin, amazo kindle, samsung, etc. and other usb ac adapters with decent/good quality micro usb cables.  the two times i used the crappy quality the battery seemed to overhead and the phone wouldnt turn on and it wasnt until the next day i plugged it in to a decent adapter and left it charging after doing a reset that it snapped back on.  the other time it didnt charge at all and the next day i thought my battery died excessively fast when in reality it was never charged over night.
  • 34. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    smotrs Master

Keep in mind, SD Cards don't last forever. How old was the SD Card? They are especially problematic when coming from other phones as the formatting is usually different between them. However, the fact that you tried another brand new card and it went belly up points to something going on. You don't by chance have the phone sitting near magnets or something? I would got to a Sprint Repair center, have them put in a card, log it and if it does it again then they can possibly replace the phone for you. You may even want to bring the other SD Cards with you to show that you have already tried X amount already.

As for the battery, that's correct, we the consumer can't replace it, only Sprint and HTC are authorized to change it. Sounds as if Sprint has received the instructions for performing that operation. Which is good news for everyone else down the road. Possibly a disconnect with the charger and the USB port. I've heard incidences where people have plugged in the USB port and the light lit up, but the battery icon wasn't fluctuating showing a charge taking place. It's possible that happened. When you plug it in, verify the light is lit and that the battery icon is fluctuating. If not, unplug and replug until both those are a Yes. If it continues to be a No, then you have a USB port issue.

Check the Battery status under Settings,

• Settings > Power > Battery Use

See what's been using the most battery. Tap the Battery Graph and you can also see a History Detail which will show what's been draining the battery as well. It usually will give some indication of what's causing it. Also, take a screen shot by pressing the Power Button and Volume Down button at the same time and posting both images. We can take a look as well and give recommendations.

• 35. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    beepbeep72 Regular Visitor

Count me in to the group. I have had the phone since June and all seemed well. Couple of days ago phone started to act a little funny, but was ok. Today full battery, used it for a couple hours, pulled out to use it again, dead. Tried every button, plug, outlet trick to try and get it to turn on and nothing. No lights, no sound, no action.

• 36. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    CAMSTUFs Expert

Try this: Press and hold power button for up to 1 minute.

If that works, perform PRL & Profile updates, Sim Batt Pull...

• 37. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    ELLENANNIE1 Newbie

I just had this same issue. I was in the middle of a phone call when the call went dead and the screen went black. The green light was flashing but I couldn't get the phone to power up or down by holding the power button for the regular time. (maybe 10 or 20 seconds.) When I called Sprint and Assurion (since it was a replacement phone) both support techs said there was no way to re-set the phone. They were about to send me a new phone when I saw this forum and the suggestion to hold the power button for a minute. That finally got the phone to power back on. Strange...

• 38. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    PeoplesChoiceInVoice Newbie

Funny how Sprint Reps first comment is exactly what you just said.  Here is the scoop, They should last a lot longer than the first few days in your HTC EVO.  Hee is another scoop how old are you and how long have you been an engineer?   I have SD cards for years, they are a storage device.  Same as everyone else in the forum the phone I reciveed started to blank out and then it shuddered a little and the SD Card went and erased all my pictures.  Could not access it any more.  Funny thing is, Sprint employees had no problem taking my fried SD card and putting in their phone to show me that it was just bad, however when I asked them to take their SD card from their phone and without backing up all the pictures and data put it in my phone, it all of a sudden became a legal issue as to why they could not do that. I am an engineer in the telcom industry, I may not know as much as the peole trying to fool me but what I do know and have is a very special set of skills and I know how to troubleshoot and proces of elimination of a technical problem and if you can't put your SD card in my slot then that slot must be bad and your lying self must already know it. My phone would cut off during calls and go blank and had many other problems,  The rep tried to convince me it was the protector I was using.  I bought it from them it was an OUTTER, so I upgraded to a better OUTTER. End result, I got a new phone.  Before I shipped the bad phone back, I took another SD card, GOOD CARD and put it in the phone and GUES WHAT  It fried too.  So there is a problem in some of the phones, my guess is that some of them have a short or some of them can't accept upgrades like the IPHONE.  when the IPHONE has a software upgrade the hardware was not designed to be upgraded so the speakers look as if they are blown up.  IPHONE carriers are selling for 60.00 new speakers for the phone when in fact it is the Proximity sensor that can't be upgraded.  IT is a manufacture problem that they are trained to lie their way out of.  I think the HTC EVO has problems and the sales people are lying their way out of it thinking we are too stupid to figure it out.  MY HTC EVO LTE was brand new, two days after use fried the SD card, I have a new HTC EVO LTE and the battery works fine, no more blanking out and dropping calls or ghost calls which were really wierd.  The phone would just start dialing on it's own even if it was shut down and sitting on teh desk.  MY SD card seems fine but I don't trust it so I have DROPBOX to back up my pictures.  NOT ALL IS GOOD because I think it is wrong for the industry to lie to the consumers about problems.  MY FAVORTIE IS WHEN THEY SAY<  "OH you are the first to have this problem, these are great phones and no one else is having these problems".  I hate sales people because of that.   yet I look at the forum board and these problems existed before I bought my phone.  Needles to say lucky for me I have a business sales rep assigned to me and I contacted him by phone and we resolved the problem.  Here is the other bad thing about sprint stores, they drag it out so that it goes past the 14 days then tell you there is nothing else you can do about it.  Document all of your calls and text, document everytime you go to teh store and ask for a signed paper that you tried to get the problem fixed before the 14 days.  Then turn them over for trying to take advantage of you as a consumer. 

• 39. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    smotrs Master

PeoplesChoiceInVoice wrote:

Hee is another scoop how old are you and how long have you been an engineer? 

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I've been an engineer for 20yrs.

• 40. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    Eunos96 Newbie

On my 2nd LTE from this same issue. Sprint made me wait 5 days for the replacement the first time. strangely enough the first one after dying th efirst time reset with the 60 second hold-down on the power button, heard rumors of holding all 3 buttons on the phone down to do a "factory reset" but never successful. Then the phone proceeded to die again the next day with no irregular activity to induce it. Got the new phone 5 days later, used it for about a week, same problem. I hope this doesn't perma-brick again since i've already used its one extra life on the 60 second restart today...

• 41. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    housemd725 Regular Visitor

does anyone have teh commuter from outter box? im asking to see if there is any relation to our no power issue. im not even getting any lights when you plug the phone up. when i went to the tech, he told me that this is a known issue and he would just need to reseat the battery. but it was still no luck after his attempt. i wonder if i can buy a battery somewhere just to see if the battery itself is bad and not the board. i am so ****** that i have to get another phone cause i saved some stuff on the internal storage. i really hope this is not an on going issue with this model. this really sux man.  to make matters worse, i have no temp phone so i had to buy a $280 smart phone just to use until i get my replacement on monday.

• 42. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    GHD1972 Newbie

I also had issues with the EVO. It shut itself off and would not turn back on. I have the service and insurance plan and it was replaced (a new one was mailed to the store) however not even 2 weeks later the replacement did the exact same thing. I was told by the service center employee that there has been a lot of issues with the HTC's and recommended replacing it with another phone. He suggested the Motorola Photon which I now have and am having some regrets as I did love my EVO when it actually worked. Hopefully I get used to it but we shall see...

• 43. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    pittsdiver Newbie

My 4g evo lte battery died and will not recharge,  I went to sprint store and they replaced it and the same problem occurred.   Any suggestions?

• 44. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE WILL NOT POWER ON
    itsmerubend Newbie

what if your power button is broken..in my case..it doesnt' work anymore..so i have to constantly have the phone charged and cant let it go to sleep anymore..i need to reset it to get my camera giong.. but don't want to do it from the Settings menu cause that will erase everything..any suggestions

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points