This discussion is archived
1 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next 175 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 6:11 PM by lynforddonivan Go to original post RSS
  • 165. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    gfulop2011 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

Wow...interesting reading since I commented on this a while back.

Just so everyone is straight, this is a design flaw. Sprint and HTC are aware of it. But they also make it difficult on everyone to enjoy a fantasitic smart phone by sometimes charging for a replacement.

I am on my third phone, and have not paid a dime. [first phone problem at 10 months, second phone problem at 19 months] I stick to my guns and let them know I fully understand they have a defective product, referring to the port design of course. Although its difficult to get a new phone at this time, a refurb is the answer now.

I am awaiting the new HTC LTE EVO, cant wait to get my hands on a phone that should have all the bugs out since its third generation. Good luck to all on the port problem.

The only suggestion on living with the defect is to baby the phone when connecting and disconnecting the charging cable. [longer life = good]

Good Luck

• 166. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    DJMNS2000 Newbie

[...]

I'm currently experiencing the same thing with my wife's Evo. I've had to make 2 claims and pay $100 dollars each, only to get a third Evo that is doing the samething. I took it into a sprint repair store and they the only thing they told me was to make another claim or do an upgrade. I was so fustrated because its obviously a defect[...] With this kind of service, I'm not sure I want to commit to another 2 year contract.

How is it they expect us not to use the phone while its plugged in, cause if you unplug it the battery drains pretty fast if you want to actually use your phone to do something.

Message was edited by: mapesy

• 167. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I feel it's important to keep in mind that we are dealing with two separate problems in this discussion, one a manufacturing error, in which the charging port was not soldered to the board completely, the second is physical abuse, in which the phone's charging port was soldered to the PCB well. The Techs in the store can easily evaluate the condition of the port, and PCB to determine which it is.

• 168. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    Dddavek Regular Visitor

These are not two equivalent problems (manufacturing defect vs. physical abuse).

* There have been hundreds of reports of EVO charging ports broken in the course of normal use. I experienced it myself. Using the phone with the cord connected is NOT abuse. The failure of the port is the consequence of both a manufacturing defect and a design defect. The manufacturing defect is the incorrect soldering of the port to the PCB. The design defect is the lack of a collar on the port to prevent movement of the port under normal use. Even if soldered correctly, the solder alone cannot be expected to secure the port to the PCB.

* Physical abuse does happen, however, typical abuse (dropping, sitting on, washing in the washing machine, or stepping on) will NOT break the charging port without also breaking something else. In other words, it's almost impossible to break JUST the charging port through physical abuse. Again, normal use of phone with the cord plugged in is NOT abuse. Pulling on the cord even somewhat strenuously is NOT abuse. It occurs with many other devices without breaking the charging port.

So the bottom line is, if your charging port is broken, 9 times out of 10 it would result from the design or manufacturing defect. If you smash the phone (physical abuse), the broken charging port will be the least of the phone's problems.

• 169. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    fireguy_6364 Master

once you factor in how the battery life was on this phone...then add to that how many times a person was plugging and unplugging the thing..THAT would be where the damage could have came from..im sure many have used the heck out of it while plugged in..not that that alone would cause it..but the constant plugging and unplugging would for sure wear it out..

Dddavek wrote:

These are not two equivalent problems (manufacturing defect vs. physical abuse).

* There have been hundreds of reports of EVO charging ports broken in the course of normal use. I experienced it myself. Using the phone with the cord connected is NOT abuse. The failure of the port is the consequence of both a manufacturing defect and a design defect. The manufacturing defect is the incorrect soldering of the port to the PCB. The design defect is the lack of a collar on the port to prevent movement of the port under normal use. Even if soldered correctly, the solder alone cannot be expected to secure the port to the PCB.

* Physical abuse does happen, however, typical abuse (dropping, sitting on, washing in the washing machine, or stepping on) will NOT break the charging port without also breaking something else. In other words, it's almost impossible to break JUST the charging port through physical abuse. Again, normal use of phone with the cord plugged in is NOT abuse. Pulling on the cord even somewhat strenuously is NOT abuse. It occurs with many other devices without breaking the charging port.

So the bottom line is, if your charging port is broken, 9 times out of 10 it would result from the design or manufacturing defect. If you smash the phone (physical abuse), the broken charging port will be the least of the phone's problems.

• 170. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    Vuster Newbie

I should've wrote in this forum a lot sooner.

The concern I had prior to purchasing the evo was this loose charging port.

What have I done to prevent it?

--> file down the teeth of the USB cable.

It still stays in the phone nicely when charging.

I've had this evo for almost 2 years now and The charging port has remain intact.

• 171. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    fireguy_6364 Master

i havent done anything out of the norm and im still running the same phone as 2 years ago. for the most part i see it as how people handle the phone while its plugged in...main culprit i found was when the cord itself was starting to lose its connectivity people would angle it to make a connection again...gee...wonder what thats going to do with your port...doh.

• 172. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    lynforddonivan Expert

I had the same problem sprint fixed  it two times on one for me but the other one sad the phones was out of stock and  they replace it but it may be two weeks. So I went and bought a phone else wear. Canceled the warranty on that one.  Also I had the service contract on both phones. They actually tried to have me use the deductible to replace the phone.

If had ever  evo model so far and must say the LTE I have not had any problem with the cord and the battery almost last a day.

The problem on my two phones was the charging port came loose and would not connect to charge. The first two the service center replaced the board with a new connection on it..  My other one must not have been able to fix or they just did not have the parts.

hTC should have fixed ever evo for free.

• 173. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello lynfordonivan, this problem is usually not covered as part of the warranty, and treated as physical damage because it's regarded as damage caused by abuse. The store's technicians are able to determine by examining the phone wether the port stopped working because of a manufacturer's defect (which is easily identifiable, and happened to a very small portion of Evos), or through undue stress.

• 174. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    jeweldrumm Newbie

My phone just quit charging last night.  I'm very disappointed....  the port seems loose with the charger.  I wondered how long it would be before it malfunctioned.  Now I know.  Less than 6 months. Poor design.

• 175. Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones
    lynforddonivan Expert

kinda funny it hapens to so many of them. My evo all but the lte need to be charged alll the time. could it be it was just not made to take all the use.

hope sprints takes care of you without any greff. please let us know how its handeled. do you have the insurance?

1 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...