1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 87 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 7:28 AM by JonMcR Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    JoshS. Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I don't have the airave that you all are discussing....but I do get the same error code quite often on my galaxy s3.... this leads me to believe it may have nothing to do with your airave. This could explain why a few people have said that they have problems away from it... just thought I'd mention. I came upon this thread when searching in google to see if others were having issues... it really is obnoxious.

• 46. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    halldl02 Expert

@ JoshS.

I agree, I also described having multiple issues, some while on an Airave, and others when not on the Airave.  However, I only got the error code 97 while on the Airave.  The strange issues I would have OFF the Airave included:

1. Able to send text and make phone calls, rarely receive any phone calls (random sometimes I would)

2. Text messages would be received multiple times, but they could ones from days before or anytime during the day.  (Example: Someone sends me a text in the morning say at 8 am, I didn't get the text until I was at home back on the Airave until 11 pm. OR I might get it sometime the next day around 4pm, and I will get it multiple times.)

On Airave:

1. Unable to send text messages, always getting error code 97.

2. Able to received messages, but not timely and usually multiple times. Some of these messages might be from several days before that I had already received.

What resloved my issues have been posted earlier, but I felt it would be a good idea to put in a little more detail about the issues I saw in hopes it might provide an idea on steps to take for a resolution.

• 47. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    dezmo907 Regular Visitor

2 weeks after the new MSID and things seem to work fine

I was talking with a higher level tech in IL (I think they said central time zone) so maybe that had more info than the folks I talked with earlier and whom had "reset" my phone.  They even called me back a few times to check on me.

Good luck!

• 48. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    FLYBOYKRAMER1 Newbie

The airplane mode Airave reset didn't work for me.  It was worth a try but it didn't work.  I had the same problem.  No outgoing texts on Galaxy 3S when in range of Airave. I unplugged Airave and texting worked fine.  Plugged it back in and no texting again.  Voice calls worked whether Airave was on or off but obviously only had 1 bar with Airave off.  I called Sprint Airave Tech support and they talked me through a quick reset of Airave.  Not a unplug and plug back in type reset....but a unplug all devices including modem and router and plug back in Airave and then put a paper clip in the Airave reset hole for 45 seconds and then plug in the remaining devices.  All phones texting work perfectly now.  Call Sprint Airave support and have them talk you through the reset. The guy I talked to knew exactly what I was talking about and knew exactly how to fix it.  It took 5 minutes and all is good again.

• 49. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

FLYBOYKRAMER1 wrote:

The airplane mode Airave reset didn't work for me.  It was worth a try but it didn't work.  ###################I had the same problem.  No outgoing texts on Galaxy 3S when in range of Airave. I unplugged Airave and texting worked fine.  Plugged it back in and no texting again.  Voice calls worked whether Airave was on or off but obviously only had 1 bar with Airave off.  I called Sprint Airave Tech support and they talked me through a quick reset of Airave.  Not a unplug and plug back in type reset....but a unplug all devices including modem and router and plug back in Airave and then put a paper clip in the Airave reset hole for 45 seconds and then plug in the remaining devices.  All phones texting work perfectly now.  Call Sprint Airave support and have them talk you through the reset. The guy I talked to knew exactly what I was talking about and knew exactly how to fix it.  It took 5 minutes and all is good again.

I'm so glad to hear that your Airave services are back up and running again.    For future reference, a factory reset of the Airave is something that you can do yourself.  There is a small pinhole reset button on the back of the Airave.  You'll need something small like a pen tip or a paperclip.  Hold that button for 30 seconds, the lights should go off then start blinking again.  Wait 30 min -1 hour for provisioning and try to send your text again.  If you have this issue again, I would perform these steps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B
    Sprint Technical Support
    Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 50. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    halldl02 Expert

Fergie_B wrote:

FLYBOYKRAMER1 wrote:

The airplane mode Airave reset didn't work for me.  It was worth a try but it didn't work.  ###################I had the same problem.  No outgoing texts on Galaxy 3S when in range of Airave. I unplugged Airave and texting worked fine.  Plugged it back in and no texting again.  Voice calls worked whether Airave was on or off but obviously only had 1 bar with Airave off.  I called Sprint Airave Tech support and they talked me through a quick reset of Airave.  Not a unplug and plug back in type reset....but a unplug all devices including modem and router and plug back in Airave and then put a paper clip in the Airave reset hole for 45 seconds and then plug in the remaining devices.  All phones texting work perfectly now.  Call Sprint Airave support and have them talk you through the reset. The guy I talked to knew exactly what I was talking about and knew exactly how to fix it.  It took 5 minutes and all is good again.

I'm so glad to hear that your Airave services are back up and running again.    For future reference, a factory reset of the Airave is something that you can do yourself.  There is a small pinhole reset button on the back of the Airave.  You'll need something small like a pen tip or a paperclip.  Hold that button for 30 seconds, the lights should go off then start blinking again.  Wait 30 min -1 hour for provisioning and try to send your text again.  If you have this issue again, I would perform these steps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B
    Sprint Technical Support

You do realize that about half the problems occur here for people who aren't on an Airave?  Or at least don't realize their phone may have connected to one at some point or are at some point.

Key thing to note, is if they are having problems both on and off the Airave, resetting the Airave isn't going to fix the problem, and getting a new phone MIGHT fix the problem, but it seems to be an issue with how the phone got provisioned/activated in the system.

• 51. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

halldl02,

I'll be glad to troubleshoot each issue individually, however in the case above which you quoted, resetting the Airave was the resolution the issue.  Often times failed text messages are indicitive of a possible coverage issue.   If a device is going in and out of Sprint coverage, failed text messages can happen.  Also, text messaging issues are known issues with the Airave itself. 

In your case, your issue appears to be coverage related.  You mentioned you are having issues receiving calls and sending text while the Airave is off but only receive an error 97 when it is powered on.  The Airave was sent to boost your signal, so it makes sense that you would miss calls and not be able to send text messages with the Airave off.  So in order to guarantee consistant coverage and text messages, we would need to troubleshoot the Airave at your home.  I'll be glad to do so if you would like me to.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

• 52. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    halldl02 Expert

Fergie_B wrote:

halldl02,

I'll be glad to troubleshoot each issue individually, however in the case above which you quoted, resetting the Airave was the resolution the issue.  Often times failed text messages are indicitive of a possible coverage issue.   If a device is going in and out of Sprint coverage, failed text messages can happen.  Also, text messaging issues are known issues with the Airave itself. 

In your case, your issue appears to be coverage related.  You mentioned you are having issues receiving calls and sending text while the Airave is off but only receive an error 97 when it is powered on.  The Airave was sent to boost your signal, so it makes sense that you would miss calls and not be able to send text messages with the Airave off.  So in order to guarantee consistant coverage and text messages, we would need to troubleshoot the Airave at your home.  I'll be glad to do so if you would like me to.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Negative, this was not a coverage issue.  If that were true I have other phones that should have had the same issue.  This was an issue with something within Sprint's system, if that is defined as a coverage issue, then I appreciate the clarification.

I'm very certain this has something to do with the transfer of service from one phone to another phone.  I might be mistaken here, but I don't recall reading anyone reporting an issue with a new line of service with the Galaxy S3.  If that is true it would further support the findings I've presented and why the resolution I've listed corrected ALL my issues.

• 53. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    JLG058 Valued Member

I'm havng the issues of error 97 when my Airave is on, but unable to receive calls or texts when away from the Airave.  I've had this issue before when my Epic 4G was fairly new and I got the Airave.  I was missing texts and calls from my local tower, the tower by my job which is 20 miles away, and a tower at a state park a hundred miles away.  Support told me it was a tower issue.  I finally got a hold of someone who realized the foolishness of that response, and she issued me a temporary phone number, called me and confirmed it worked, and then changed my number back.  Voila, that fixed the issue and I never had the problem again. 

Fast forward to now, and I just upgraded to the Note 2.  The EXACT same scenario is occurring.  Missing calls and texts away from the Airave.  Just got off phone from support, and all they would do was open a ticket for the local tower to be reset.  I'm so mad right now I'm ready to cancel my line.  I was just 30-40 miles away from home a couple of hours ago and missed calls.  That's a different tower.  No one else in my house is missing calls.  Why does one have to go through these ridiculuous trouble shooting steps that cause my phone to be mostly useless until WEDNESDAY of next week?  I'm seriously considering taking the Note 2 back (which phone I'm absolultely loving, account issues aside) and canceling my line. 

• 54. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

JLG058,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing so many issues with your device.  If you are experiencing this issue while connected to the Airave, I would recommend a factory reset of the Airave.  In order to perform a reset, press the small pinhole reset button on the back of the Airave for approximately 30 seconds.  This will decommission your Airave for 30 min-1 hour while it reprovisions.  Please let me know if this is able to resolve your issue.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

• 55. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    EvoNaria Newbie

I am having the same issues here in the 32821 zip code. It's non stop. And I have no Airrave at all.

• 56. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

EvoNaria,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing the issue.  So you noted you do not have an Airave.  Would you please provide me with your city, state and nearest zip code so I can review your area?

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

• 57. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    JLG058 Valued Member

No, the Airave reset wasn't the fix.  I was still upset that the initial troubleshooter was trying to convince me that the issue might lie in the tower.  As I thought about it, I realized that this wasn't possible, since the no call/no text also happened earlier in the day when I was 30 miles from home.  So i called back in and got a different rep.  He had me power completely down and remove the battery, while he then issued a couple of refresh commands from his end.  Once those completed, he had me reinsert the battery and power up.  He then sent me a successful test message from Sprint, then he had me complete a successful test message from my wife's Sprint phone, and I also was able to receive a call from my wife's phone, all while leaving my Airave off. 

Somehow, it seems that when I buy a new phone and have it activated at the Sprint store which is like 5 miles away, and go sraight home when my Airave is on, the provisioning gets messed up.  I've left my Airave off all weekend and not had any issues.  If the LTE is functioning, then I'm getting a decent signal anyway now.  When LTE drops, which it does regularly, my EVDO signal runs at one bar typically, and then sucks the battery like a thirsty man in the desert.  Because of this, I'll probably try at some point to plug the Airave back in, and see what happens.  Hopefully I'll see no more error code 97's. 

• 58. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

JLG058,

Please keep us updated as to the results of your troubleshooting. I do hope this was able to resolve your issue.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

• 59. Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 won't send text (error code 97)
    EvoNaria Newbie

Thank you.

My coordinates are Orlando, FL 32821.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points