1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 3:33 PM by fireguy_6364 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    dreamcast87usa Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

Sprint deliberately labeled these phones 4G in order to trick customers into buying them knowing full well it doesn't support the old Wimax signal. The 4G label should have been dropped for LTE phones.

• 31. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    fireguy_6364 Master

odd...does it not also say LTE? did the box it came with say LTE on it? even the display im sure you looked at in the sprint store said 4G LTE on it..so how exactly did they trick customers into buying the phone?

• 32. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    Dark_Emerald_89 Valued Member

According to the coverage map I should be having 4G LTE here in McDonough,ga since the whole area is covered but I assume it's not 100% realiable (maybe?)

I rarely get 4G LTE in my home let alone the area....it works in certain areas so really i just keep it set for CDMA most of the time as it looking for 4G kills the better I'd figure....

Could anyone find a bigger insite on this for me if possible.

• 33. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

4G LTE is still being actively deployed, even in areas where LTE has "launched" only a portion of the towers have been upgraded. New towers are upgraded and worked on daily. I do not know exactly how the LTE coverage maps are generated, so I do not know if they are displaying current coverage, expected coverage X-weeks in advance, when rollout is complete in the area, etc. I just don't have access to that information or know who to ask really.

Also ensure that your phone is set to "CDMA/LTE/EVDO" in Settings > Wireless and Network > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode. If it is set to CDMA only then you won't get an LTE signal even if one is available.

• 34. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    CONTACT58 Regular Visitor

I understand mine does not get 4g lte or 4g at the moment, but if one has this setting selected, and even though not in 4g or 4g lte ares, shouldn't the indicator or icon be a gray 4g icon instead of a 3g? I was reading the manual and it states that it should if your service has this. Maybe, since this 4g lte service is not available and it doesn't receive 4g, that it's the reason it does this. Any comments or advice?

• 35. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    fireguy_6364 Master

nope..its going to display whichever connection youre actually getting..im not exactly understanding what youre refering to when you keep saying 4G LTE or 4G?...are you asking about 4G LTE and 4G wimax? the current system that has been around for a while here and there was 4G wimax..which this phone can not use seeing as how its a LTE capable phone..so once you DO have LTE in your area you will see the 4G icon light up and take place of your 3G symbol at the top.

• 36. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

fireguy_6364 wrote:

nope..its going to display whichever connection youre actually getting..im not exactly understanding what youre refering to when you keep saying 4G LTE or 4G?...are you asking about 4G LTE and 4G wimax? the current system that has been around for a while here and there was 4G wimax..which this phone can not use seeing as how its a LTE capable phone..so once you DO have LTE in your area you will see the 4G icon light up and take place of your 3G symbol at the top.

Correct there is an icon shown only when a connection is active. So if you are not connected to any data you will only have the signal bars (voice), 2G will say 1x (representative of 1xRTT), 3G will say 3G, 4G will say 4G (regardless whether you use an older WiMax phone or the newer LTE devices, the two technologies are not compatible and no phone supports both), and WiFi will have the industry standard ball with horizontal crecsents stacked according to the signal it gets from that hotspot.

WiFi logo example:

wifi-icon.jpg

• 37. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    jimmygr02 Valued Member

The coverage maps show 100% 4G LTE coverage all over houston and surrounding areas.  Because of these coverage maps, on Sprint's web site, which are completely wrong, I upgraded from S2 to S3.  Now not only do I not have the spotty Wimax coverage I had before, I also have NO 4G LTE service.  Anywhere in Houston that I have tried. 

I think it's dishonest for Sprint to show 4G LTE everywhere in the coverage maps for the Houston area, yet no 4G LTE is actually available "yet".  This is dishonest of Sprint.  And it cost me.

• 38. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    sqlee.kc Newbie

First of all, make sure your phone is in cdma\lte mode, not just cdma only mode.

Second, there are a lot of towers that are broadcasting LTE in the Houston area.  New sites come online every week.  I admit the LTE coverage maps are very optimistic on coverage.  If you can't wait for new sites to come online in your area, then you have 14 days to return the phone. 

• 39. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    W0MBAT Valued Member

It's just a waiting game at this point. Sprint's 4G LTE service and it's "Network Vision" are a work in progress. It should not be judged as a full fledged working service at this point, because it's not...

Since I started browsing this forum I've seen a lot of people that are upset and expressing their frustrations, and rightfully so. It's frustrating having to wait it out until the new network is fully deployed. Sprint is late in the game compared to the other major carriers and this is the key reason why people are soo annoyed and upset. It's "The grass is greener" effect. However, Sprint is the last honest carrier in my opinion; as far as net-neutrality and unlimited data goes. I'm pulling through for the long haul. In 12-24 months the sentiment on this forum will turn a complete 180, just watch... Network Vision will be fully matured and deployed and slowly/little-by-little, the customers who were griefing/jumped ship will come right back to where the best combination of value/service is- with a carrier that doesn't believe in capping data limits and spewing excess bloatware/advertisments at it's customers.

Rome wasn't built in a day...

• 40. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    JWolfPDX Valued Member

WBA-2 wrote:

I have the same problem.  Why would not an UPDATED devive not be backwards capatable??????????  Makes no sense to me.

Two completely different 4G technologies and chipsets.  I'm guessing a design to include both chipsets was too expensive or incompatible.

• 41. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    yurtguy Newbie

NOW, this is just an expl.  not the REAL way it transmits.  Think of Wimax 4G as AM radio and LTE as FM radio.  An AM radio will not get FM and FM won't get AM and in the early days of radio it was ONE or the other not both.  Soon Radio comanys started making a radio that would get both AM and FM. 

Well we are in the early days of Radio where it's either WiMax or LTE 4G.  IF like myself I have a epic 4G with Wimax I will never have 4G service on it here in Indianapolis and those who are getting Wimax 4G will lose it about 2014 or 2015 because Sprint is only installing NEW the LTE 4G network.

Again like the early days of radio.. AM almost died if it wasn't for talk radio there would mostly not be AM radio right now.  Sprint had the choice to do either WiMax or LTE in the early days and banked on WiMax being the standard for 4G.  Simply put they was wrong and LTE 4G has become the standard.  A gamble we as customers are now paying the price for.

But I do have a question for the group..

Has anyone that has posted here been contacted off board about what they have posted from anyone from Sprint for there comments???  I know they have monitors, just wondering if anyone has ever said "we are working on it" or "we are sorry for your problems" or do they just let us vent here and hope we go on using them.

I would respect sprint more, if they just said something like "due to the unlimited date, we over sold and over loaded our networks and working hard to fix it", instead of blaming the phone itself for the bad service. 

well that is just me thinking to myself I guess. 

• 42. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    jimmygr02 Valued Member

Yes it is and has been cdma/lte since I got it.

The coverage maps aren't just optimistic.... they are flat out wrong.

However, today, for the first time ever, I did have a solid 4g LTE connection at work, almost all day!  I ran some speed tests and will post the results in separate message.

• 43. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    Ripleycat Regular Visitor

thank you wombat, very well said. 

• 44. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    bmwnick Newbie

This is another example on corporate taking on middle class they don't care and I'm getting charged an extra 10 $ for premium data really ???? premium data???? SLOW  3G Imagine !!!! I can't even run my Facebook or Youtube on that speed.....Sprint are blood suckers that's all I HATE SPRINT !!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...