This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 3:01 PM by AmaiT RSS

Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.

Conrad336 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have been using the airave for about a month now without any type of issues. Recently, about a week ago, all **** broke loose.

My friends would tell me that I send them 5 to 6 duplicate copies of the same text. I didn't believe them until I had some to verify by coming over and looking at their phone as it happened. Also tried to test out receiving texts on my end; either I would receive them several hours later or I wouldn't receive them at all.

I don't receive calls at home on airave either. People tell me my phone goes straight to voicemail when they try to call when i'm connected on the airave.

I've contacted technical support, been through the resets, power on and power offs, the ##update# on my cell, the *99, and it hasn't changed anything. They have done "the reset on their end" too.

Reading the forums I've learned that a lot of users have this same issue. Is there a fix for this?

• 1. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello Conrad336, Im sorry that you’ve had trouble, I understand how frustrating it can bee when things are working as expected. Which Airave model do you have? This problem with the Airave 2.0 is being researched, and software updates for the Airave are being tested. At this time resetting the Airave & phone will end duplicates if they are still being sent, and typically this will happen when an SMS is sent from the phone and the phone does not receive acknowledgement that the message was successfully sent for one or more reasons.

As for not receiving calls while at home is there a specific time of day that this is happening? When you had reset the airave in the past did you hold the reset button on back for 15+ seconds or another method? In past reports of this problem was it ever suggested that you run a VOIP line quality test to determine of the problems that you’ve seen are related to your internet connection?

• 2. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.

I have the Airwave 2.5. I have done the unplug reset as well as the power button reset in the back. Each tech that I talked to never mentioned to run the VOIP quality test, but I don't think its an issue with my internet service.

Typically I dont receive calls throughout the whole day. It happened this morning for sure.

• 3. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Are you referring to the small pinhole near the GPS antenna port as the power button reset? It's pretty standard for us to ask one to run a VOIP test when reporting any performance related problem with the airave because some symptoms may be misleading. Often if your calls are going to voicemail without paging your phone it could mean that the switch was too busy to relay the call, the switch tried paging the phone on the wrong site, or phone was not ready to receive calls. for line quality we expect that Jitter is less than 5ms, packet loss is below 1%, Quality of service is above 80%, download is over 1Mbps, and upload is above 350 Kbps.

• 4. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.

If I go into the airave and increase the qos upload speeds, will that make things any better?

• 5. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello Conrad336, It depends, first off do you have the WAN port of the airave connected directly to a modem, or is it connected to a port on a router?

• 6. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.

I have the WAN port from the modem connected directly to the Airwave. I have a router connected as well from the airwave.

• 7. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

In that case what do you see for download, upload, QoS, Packet loss, and Jitter when you run a VOIP test while cabled directly to the Airave's LAN2 port, while you are having trouble receiving calls? do you use Cable, or DSL service?

• 8. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.

I just did a VOIP test and everything came back within the requirements you posted.

The qos was at a default of 768kb on the airave settings.

• 9. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello Conrad336, are you currently having trouble receiving calls?

• 10. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.

It happens occasionally. Like I stated earlier, the call may come through sometimes, but it takes the caller several attempts to get through to me. Usually it goes straight to my voicemail.

• 11. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    FRIZZLLEFRY Regular Visitor

"This problem with the Airave 2.0 is being researched, and software updates for the Airave are being tested."

The usual reply from Sprint which I have heard for over ten months.

Not only do I have to utilize a piece of equipment in order to simply receive better than a -106dbu signal in my home, I have to still pay Sprint for data, which is being supplied through my ISP, which (because of the Airave) I'm suddenly forced to shared its RF, as well as it's data connection to my ISP with every Sprint customer in my neighborhood. Despite what Sprint claims, you cannot restrict other users on the Airave, a simple dump of the TX/RX logs from the Airave supports this assertion.

Now... to add insult to injury: my girlfriend got a HTC EVO 3-D about ten months ago and we were immediately met with the dreaded text issue when she connected to the Airave.The first three of six phone calls to Sprint had me being told that no such issue exists, despite the huge amount of complaints on boards like this. After having one "customer service rep" give me the laughable solution of: "place the phone battery on top of the Airave and reset it..." claiming that my phone was the problem, NOT the Airave... Finally, I got someone to admit that there was a known problem with the Airaves. Sadly, the only solution they could offer me: "...there will be a firmware upgrade expected by early March of 2012 and we'll send you an email when it is available." March comes and goes, several more phone calls to Sprint yeilding the same, mixed results of denial, ignorance and blaming of everything BUT the device, I was yet again told a firmware upgrade for the Airave is due by late June of 2012.

Here it is, October of 2012 and it appears that in addition to not creating a RF backbone infrastructure, which actually supplies usable signal to Sprint customers, Sprint is still handing out the "firmware update" response to what amounts to a weak, Band-Aid fix to systemic RF coverage problems.

As a retired engineer from Motorola, I find it appalling that Sprint has dragged it's feet for as long as it has in implemeting a solution to the Airave issue. Not to mention the fact that the only reason why so many people need an Airave: is because Sprint (a communcations company) simply refuses to provide substancial, usable signal in their communications service areas.

I live a stones throw from Philadelphia, PA. It is not as if I am out in the boondocks, where poor signal quality is reasonably expected. I am in the middle of a major metropolitan area, yet the signal strength and quality are simply not usable.

I can assure Sprint that since they seemingly are unwilling to resolve neither their poor signal strength problems nor the problems with the "fix" they supply via the Airave, I will NOT be willing to renew my commercial contract nor will my girlfriend renew her consumer contract with Sprint, once they expire.

I know that the mere $400.00 a month loss from this is completely meaningless to Sprint; but if enough long-term customers leave Sprint due to their lack of providing tangible solutions, maybe they will perk their ears up and provide something more than the endlessly repeated, "we're working on it" routine.  

• 12. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    KG_NC Newbie

Well said.  Simply responding to this to bump it back up the discussion board.  I've read more posts than I care to, many simply looking for a straight answer versus the seeming 'spin' we get from Customer Service.  What I struggle with is trying to understand why Sprint continues to foster this type of method for dealing with issues with the Airave?  I for one, would appreciate so much more a straight answer acknowledging the issue(s) and that there isn't a solution right now.  I fully understand that every customer may have their own unique problem which a blanket statement wouldn't cover.  But simply take a look at this board and there are plenty of recurring and common issues.  Just lay it out there and take your lumps - It's got to be better than getting crushed in boards like this on a daily basis from a company goodwill perspective. 

Disclosures - Current 2.5 'user' with send/receive text issues and calls that more often than not go straight to VM.  10+years as a Sprint customer

• 13. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    MckenzieLa Newbie

I saw the suggestion to reset/restart the Airave (by pressing the tiny button on the device). Totally works! I recently hooked up the Airave and my 4s would not send texts (although I received them without an issue).  I was annoyed as **** by that.  But the fix was easy enough. Reset the device!! 

Hope it works for you.

• 14. Re: Airave receive-send text / receive call issues.
    only1ruth.e Social Care

MckenzieLa

Thanks for the update. Glad that resetting your Airave did the trick! This may help many others here on the Sprint Community.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...