This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 10:02 AM by Deavery1 RSS

Tracking child's text messages

LISAGOODMAN15721 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

It is unfathomable that a cell phone company does not have the ability to let the "parental" phone have a way of viewing the "child" phone's text messages on the web. As soon as our contract is up we are looking for a company that does offer this.

• 1. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    THISISMATTHEWCHASE Sprint Employee

Hello Lisa,

I can understand why you want to view the texts your child(ren) are receiving/sending; and that you're upset this isn't available through sprint.com natively. This has come up in a few previous discussions and maybe some of the information shared there can help you monitor your children’s phone usage to ensure their safety.

on sprint.com > my preferences > limits and permissions (towards bottom of page) there is an option for text(s) that lets you select the device you want to control and then provides a number of options to:

Not block text messages (basically the option to unblock, if you've blocked earlier).

Block all text, inbound and outbound

Block all inbound text

Block all outbound text

BLOCK ONLY  'these' numbers for inbound / outbound

ALLOW ONLY 'these' numbers for inbound / outbound text

Additionally, there seems to be a number of third party solutions for this. I know that for Android there is SMS Tracker and it offers a suite of tools to track and view the content of messages, calls and the like. I'm not familiar with the apps for iOS (iPhone) but the some basic internet queries seems to indicate a few options available for this on that phone's app store/market. There are also third party software suites sold online that offer similar services and more.

I hope this helps and provides a different road to the destination.

• 2. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    macknalhaley Newbie

SMS tracker is exactly what I'm looking for!  Thanks, Matthew!

• 3. Re: Tracking child's text messages

I'm really glad this worked for you and that we were able to help find a solution. Cheers!

• 4. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    LISAGOODMAN15721 Newbie

I understand I can block texts etc... and I have researched the tracking software. I still believe that Sprint can have an option to send texts to the main cell phone holders e-mail. We are talking about mostly have children on our plans and once in a while a parent needs to have a method of checking text messages ensuring the child is not getting into any trouble. If Sprint is concerned that this is a breach of privacy then I disagree. If my husband has the opportunity to check my messages I have to trust him enough to not look at them. And vice versa. If I can't trust him and him me then I probably should not be married to him in the first place. It is unheard of that a cell phone company can not have a method to store text messages in a type of report.

• 5. Re: Tracking child's text messages

Lisa,

Apologies for the delay in response and I'm sorry to say, that at present, the ability to review text message content is not available through sprint.com (or to have it emailed) and I unfortunately do not have an estimated timeframe of if/when it might be an option. I can see your point about the privacy concern of making available the text message content for lines on your own account, and I will forward your communication to make aware that we do have customers that want to view this information online for, in your example, child safety montoring. Of course you can also send such correspondence to sprintcares@sprint.com. Thank you.

• 6. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    ckleinhek Newbie

ridiculous. i can't track text messages for my own phone? "hello, verizon? yes, i'd like to switch..."

• 7. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    PatesBaroni Newbie

I've been using WhereGuard.  It is a similar app but has some additional features (like alerts, maps, etc.) and is currently free (while in Beta). (whereguard.com)

• 8. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    Hartfam201205 Newbie

Funny.  When I spoke with Sprint about this and forwarding my concerns, I was told by the woman in the dept. that handles the absolutely stupid forms to have notarized that Sprint has no plans for change.....

That was 10/26/12. 

Was there a sudden change in the corporate position?  It seems that the Sprint media relations dept. does a great job of logging on this forum and spewing hopeful, positive comments in response to the mountains of discontent about Sprint's policy to keep us from our own data.

Basically, Sprint dealt w/ a fillandering spouse who gave login info and access account to someone else....Sprint caught flack so now you police the rest of your members and make rules for all of society to react to some screwup of a few.  How about this....if I don't want anyone to have access to the numbers I text and the times, then I WONT GIVE THEM THE LOGIN INFO NOR WILL I PLACE THEM ON MY ACCOUNT AS AN ALLOWED USER.

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU HEARD STATEMENTS LIKE MINE:  "GET THIS FIXED, GIVE US OUR DATA OR YOU WILL LOOSE OUR 5 PHONE FAMILY AND MY HUSBAND'S 50 PHONE BUSINESS ACCOUNT".

BASICALLY, SPRINT JUST THUMBS ITS NOSE AT US AND HAS NO INTENTION OF TRULY CHANGING THIS ABSOLUTELY STUPID POLICY.  IF THEY DID, IT WOULD BE DONE.  IT'S BEEN YEARS.  THE ONLY THING THAT HAS HAPPENED IS TONS OF SMILEY FACE TYPE POSTS AND A PREMIUM APP THAT OUR KIDS AND EMPLOYEES UNINSTALL.  THANKS GUYS FOR PROTECTING ME AND OUR BUSINESS FROM OURSELVES.  YOUR PROTECTION HAS HAMPERED MY ABILITY TO PARENT AND ENHANCED MY STAFF'S ABILITY TO TEXT DURING TIMES WHEN THEY SHOULD BE ON DUTY AND ATTENTIVE TO TASKS.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF FILANDERING SPOUSES WHO WANT TO ENSURE TEXT MESSAGE HISTORY REMAIN INACCESSIBLE TO THOSE WITH A LEGAL RIGHT....YES, INACCESSIBLE.  SPRINT HAS SO MANY HOOPS IN PLACE THAT IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO OBTAIN RECORDS TIMELY.  OH...AND THANKS FOR ASSISTING MY CHILDREN TO TEXT IN SCHOOL AND AT 2 AM.  THANKS FOR ALLOWING MY EMPLOYEES TO ROB TIME THAT I PAY FOR....THANKS FOR TAKING SO MUCH OF MY TIME FROM MY LIFE.  I ACTUALLY LOVED SPRINT SERVICE AND WANTED TO STAY AND WAS A BELIEVER THAT SPRINT WOULD LISTEN

WAKE UP EVERYONE...THEY WONT, THEY HAVEN'T IN ALL THESE YEARS.  SPRINT DOESN'T CARE.  IT'S THEIR POLICY. 

• 9. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    TZREIN1126 Newbie

I totally as a Sprint customer and have been with them nearly 14+ years and I decided to stay with them. A few years ago you could login and see which unit sent what text and to what number. Now they send you all these forms to get notarized saying that its a privacy issue. REALLY? when you have teenagers on your account and being the account holder we SHOULD be able to monitor our children's activity, our employee's and anything else!! We pay expensive bills, we usually get stuck in contracts, and a lot of us are LOYAL customers!! As the primary account holder on my account this is not only ridiculous but outrageous!! It would help  A LOT of loyal customers not only with monitoring their children but protecting their companies! WE the customers have made sprint what it is today. For example all the thousands we spend upgrading, accessories, etc... thus leading to Sprint/NASCAR...... And let's not forget the rudeness and unreliable customer service that has gotten WORSE in the last 10+ years! If you aren't placed on hold for hours on end, usually you get hung up on when they so called transfer you, or you can barely understand the rep's because their ENGLISH is that terrible! And by the time you finally get a supervisor, after explaining your situation 1000's times....... UNBELIVEABLE!!!!! I began having my first Nextel account with a co-worker until I established better credit history due to a bankruptcy in 1998. After a year on my friends account I finally got my own! So from 1998 till 2012 that is how long I've been with Sprint! They also due to a lot of fraud no longer accept you to add new upgrades etc to your end of the month bill. I can understand that to some extent. But because a few non reliable customers we all get punished for this. Which is hard some of us long time loyal customers that our track record and credit history paying on time, always buying accessories, and so forth when we get paid once a month or bi-weekly and that option is no longer valid for us....... Starting to think that loyalty and hard working customers may want to think about another service provider... Because obviously being loyal don't count for anything anymore. Just login sometime and check out some shopping and then go to wal-mart or another store and see the major price differences in not only new cell phones but other accessories. For example I bought an expensive Bluetooth headset in 2011 from Sprint and not even 30 days it tore up and spent days on the phone w/ Sprint and Motorola with no success and a total loss........ Just voicing my opinions!

• 10. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    ashaw1387 Newbie

It sounds like someone just has control issues.... It sounds like many people on here have control issues.

If you dont want your CHILD to get in trouble, and think your CHILD is using the phone to get in trouble... Than dont give your CHILD a phone!

Either....

A. Your CHILD is old enough to have privacy, from you. If this is the case, and you dont like the "policy" than make your CHILD pay.

or....

B. Your CHILD is too young for a phone,

or....

C. You are a jealous person, with a lot of anger issues.

You seem to be taking all your anger out on sprint. You chose sprint, and you choose sprint.

*****I dont like sprint because I cant shoot fireballs out of the camera lense on my iPhone.*****

Get a life, move on, try trust.....     Sufficating a child is the worst thing you can do. Always nagging, always on your child, always picking at him/her.... asking what he/she is doing.... never showing trust, never showing confidence.... always upset.... always suspecious..... Keep it up, and your child will end up doing drugs. Seriously.

• 11. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    sprint9149 Silver Expert

Sprint's Google voice integration works great for seeing all text messages and conversations.

• 12. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

sprint9149 wrote:

Sprint's Google voice integration works great for seeing all text messages and conversations.

This is my recommendation most of the time. Google Voice integration is free and allows not only viewing the messages online, but also forwarding them to your email for archival.

Add the Google Voicemail system as well which is superior to any other VM system I've ever used in my opinion, and overall it just works as a better solution to a variety of things.

• 13. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    sprint9149 Silver Expert

Good parents trust, and then verify. If we depended on adolescents to raise themselves we'd be in trouble.

I seriously hope you were kidding and just rebel rousing.

• 14. Re: Tracking child's text messages
    PCZero Valued Member

Not kidding at all.  Teach your children well and if you cannot trust them to use a phone wisely and correctly then do not give them a phone.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points