4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2012 6:49 PM by halcyoncmdr123 RSS

Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3

EpicThirteen Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

So I'm bored and was thinking about my old galaxy s2 and how long it took Sprint to provide the ICS update and how much it sucked after all that time. How many people want to bet Sprint will ***** us over by making us wait for the S3 Jelly Bean update as well? Probably until the S4 is released. Don't get me wrong, I love ICS on my S3, but Sprint offers an LTE phone and only has it in 15 cities. So I'm going to celebrate when my two year agreement is up by unlocking my phone and going back to Verizon. Where they weren't idiots who thought their own 4g network would be something to invest in. Sprint, "the screwing over customers Now network"

• 1. Re: Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3
    DBOARTS Regular Visitor

I would rather buy a phone now that has LTE capability, then buy one that doesn't and then within a year get mad that the new phone i just bought doesn't have LTE when the netowrk is upgraded in my area.

• 2. Re: Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3
    EpicThirteen Regular Visitor

I assure you it will be a loooooong time before WiMax is gone. Most markets won't be available until 2013 and it isn't even coming to my home area. Even though when I signed up for Sprint it said, "your future for 4g looks great!" Never had WiMax where I live with the epic 4g touch either. All I'm saying is Sprint is way behind in a lot of areas. It's employees with a mindset such as yours that causes people to be off at Sprint. Thinking of what you want and not the majority of your consumers. Too bad I can't roam 4g out here because Verizon has it. But Verizon has it everywhere.

• 3. Re: Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Samsung has already announced taht they are looking at Jelly Bean coming to the Galaxy S III devices soon. There already is a test version that leaked out on the Internet. It is buggy and has issues, but a working test build that can be installed on production devices is a pretty big step, not it's just fixing bugs to make it stable enough to release.

Ther eis no consipiracy for software updates to delay them until enw device launches. This comes up all of the time and I can guarantee you 100% that it is based on no truth whatsoever. The rumors about that type of thing are usually started by people who know very little about software development cycles and the relationships between teh manufacturer and carrier. Heck, most of these people also seem to think that Google makes Android, then it goes to Sprint to modify for the phone.

What actually happens is Google makes the base Android system, then the manufacturer modifies it to add functionality, then it goes back and forth between the manufacturer and Sprint for development and testing. This process can potentially take months as issues are fixed, others will crop up from the changes that were needed for the other fix. Eventually it is stable enough that Sprint will sign off and it will be sent by Sprint/manufacturer to be uploaded to the OTA servers for distribution. Depending on the manufacturer, some have theor own OTA servers, some use Google's GOTA servers. The GOTA servers select hpnoe ESNs at random to be eligible for the upgrade push, this process can take several weeks to work its way through all devices, depending on how many have been sold. This allows for major issues that did not appear during testing to be caught early and stop the software push, and allows for a faster download speed from the GOTA server for all users since there are fewer phones trying to download the update at a time.

• 4. Re: Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3
    WirelessKoala Newbie

I'm currently using L710VBLIH (Jellybean 4.1.1) on my Samsung Galaxy S III. The installed version I have installed on my handset came directly from Samsung as I'm one of a select number of beta testers who are given soak test versions of the firmware and kernel at the various stages of development. The one being distributed at various sites such as xda-developers has been modified and tweaked by various site forum members.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points