1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 95 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 2:12 PM by Timbx Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    jazzyone57 Valued Member
    Currently Being Moderated

Timbx wrote:

The LTE network is not 100% running is that not the problem and not a software one?How come some people in strong areas get fast LTE speeds I have seen some screenshots in the forum. This looks like the usual boilerplate response.

I think what people are complaining about isn't that no one is getting fast LTE speeds, but rather that in many cases (or at least in their cases) the phone is selecting 3G over LTE unnecessarily.  Surely this is software controlled.  I think we've already discussed the issue ad nausium here.

Still the BBB letter cited is the first I've heard of Sprint acknowledging a problem. I’m inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word rather than assume it’s CYA boilerplate.  Only time will tell.

• 46. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    Timbx Bronze Expert

First thing is when I see someone say they have x bars on the phone it tells me they don't know how the phone works,the bars have nothing to do with data signal strength only voice.If the towers are not 100% operational wouldn't the phone toggle in and out of LTE and 3G to pick the best one?It said they acknowledge a problem yeah we all know there is with this and all the LTE phones people have purchased (iPhone is in the same boat) it maybe software but I think it's larger than that.I hope something is done fast.

• 47. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    jazzyone57 Valued Member

Timbx wrote:

If the towers are not 100% operational wouldn't the phone toggle in and out of LTE and 3G to pick the best one?It said they acknowledge a problem yeah we all know there is with this and all the LTE phones people have purchased (iPhone is in the same boat) it maybe software but I think it's larger than that.I hope something is done fast.

What do you make of the previous posts in this thread where people have found iPhone5s and SGSIIIs getting LTE while their EVOs switched to 3G in the same place at the same time? 

• 48. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    Timbx Bronze Expert

I have seen the post about SGIII getting it yes but wonder if the settings are correct, they are a lot of people with new iPhones not even getting 3G or LTE.I can't test it because we have not LTE where I live everything is in flux...

• 49. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    cbalter5031 Newbie

You know I bought the whole "LTE system is still being built out" until I bought an iphone 5.  I was surprised to see how far along Sprint has come with the LTE deployment in San Antonio.  My Evo would get LTE but not near as much as the IP5.  I will have both phones side by side and the Evo will be in 3g with the IP5 next to it having a strong LTE signal.  Here are some screen shots...  The speed test was started at the same time.  Even after power cycling the Evo I couldn't get it to detect the LTE.

My EVO.

http://images9.fotki.com/v131/photos/1/164771/10306512/20120930_134302-vi.png

My iPhone 5.

http://images16.fotki.com/v369/photos/1/164771/10306512/photo-vi.png 

• 50. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    Timbx Bronze Expert

Even with your phones preferred network on LTE/CDMA it keeps going to 3G? What do they say at  the Sprint store when you do this...wow.

• 51. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    SYSCRASHER13 Regular Visitor

Well... thats kinda what we have been talking about, even if you stand next to the dang LTE antenna, stupid LT. EVO is on the 3Gs... you have to do the whole Airplane mode toggle to get it to switch to 4Gs, but a minute later its back on 3Gs. I was standing at the Sprint store at DeZavala here in SATX with a S3 in my left hand and my LT.EVO on my right hand, my wife with the iCrap 5, both the S3 and the iCrap 5 had good LTE service... and the danged EVO on crappy *** 3G...

AJAstro,

what did you write on the BBB complaint? so that I can submit mine and move this fwd... everyone in here should do the same...

Thanks!

• 52. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    Timbx Bronze Expert

This makes me even more mad!Not having LTE in my area and getting poor 3G is bad enough but hearing the phone will not work even if we had it makes me think Class Action may be in order.BBB is fine but it gets you nothing other than a paper trail of displeasure on a product.I want a refund or a product that works now I'm not doing two years with this problem.

• 53. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    sparky222b Regular Visitor

One option is to force your phone into LTE + CDMA 1X mode, instead of LTE + CDMA/EVDO auto. In other words, you can set your EVO to not connect to 3G at all. Your phone will only connect to 1X or to LTE. If you're in an area where LTE is not widely deployed, this is a bad idea as 3G-EVDO is still superior to 1X; however if you're somewhere like Houston, San Antonio, Kansas City, whatever where the LTE is live, this is a sort of stop-gap to get LTE if you think you "should" have it in your area. Again, you won't get 3G if you leave your phone in this mode.

How-to switch modem connectivity mode:

1. Open your Phone application (dialer)/

2. Dial *#*#4636#*#*  -  this will open the Testing menu.

3. Select "Phone Information".

4. Scroll down to all the buttons (DON'T touch them).

5. Above "Turn off radio" you will find a dropdown menu. Set preferred network type.

6. Open the menu. This lets you force Android to use a particular modem mode.

Many of these options are for GSM phones, so they will cause your phone to have no data connection.

Ignore anything that says GSM or WCDMA. These are for other networks like AT&T and T-Mobile.

However, these two are applicable to the EVO LTE:

1. CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto - This is the stock network mode, 1x, 3G EVDO and LTE. Choose this to put your phone in stock operation.

2. LTE, CDMA - Do not connect to 3G at all. Force LTE mode.

Some people at XDA have reported this works wonders.

• 54. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    jkits Newbie

This is a huge problem with the EVO LTE and I'm both frustrated and angry that this isn't a bigger problem on the board.

I work and live within hundreds of feet of an NV tower with LTE, but I can only connect to LTE very randomly and intermittently.  I've been at work all day today despite not moving out of the range of the tower that is literally right next to my building, I have been on 3g most of the day and I can't tell why it won't stay on LTE.  The only way to get my phone to stay on LTE is by flipping airplane mode and then it's a crapshoot determining how long it will want to stay on LTE before it dips back to 3G. 

I don't know what else to do besides complain here and add my 2 cents. 

Switching the modem connectivity to LTE,CDMA only really does work, I'll stay on LTE all day long, but the 1x in non-LTE areas is unbearable so I don't like to use that option.

• 55. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    jazzyone57 Valued Member

It does seem that despite what some have said previously in this thread that the LTE parameters on the EVO LTE need tweaking.  Obviously this problem will disappear once the switchover to LTE is complete but that will take another year at least. 

Hopefully the powers that be will take a phone to Chicago or someplace where the build-out is around 50% complete and do some performance tuning.  I still think the EVDO/LTE combo mode doesn't have the crossover ratio biased sufficiently toward the LTE side.  It shouldn't be that hard to bump it a few db at a time and do some field testing to find a roughly optimal point.  If it goes too far toward LTE users can simply switch to EVO only mode if they'd rather be on 3G.  Put an iPhone 5 next to it for comparison.

• 56. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    Timbx Bronze Expert

Where do you live did you say NV as in Nevada ? There is no LTE in NV yet and won't be until looks like the end of next year.There is a way to make the phone only use LTE and not 3G there is a post that tells you how or Google it.

• 57. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    jazzyone57 Valued Member

I believe by NV he means Network Vision.  He's obviously got some LTE coverage in his area.

• 58. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    Timbx Bronze Expert

OK got  it.

• 59. Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE needs lower LTE antenna threshold!
    jkits Newbie

I meant NV as Network Vision.  I'm quite well aware of the state of the LTE rollout, I'm also an active member on XDA, S4GRU, and several other tech/gadget websites and forums. I live in the Chicagoland area and according to both S4GRU, Sprint, and Sensorly, I should be literally bathing in LTE non-stop yet my EVO only connects randomly throughout the day for no certain reasons.

There is a problem with the EVO LTE, and we need to get that as much publicity as possible.  I've already steered two people toward the S3 over the EVO, I won't let HTC sweep this under the rug and dismiss it like so many people here are doing. 

Switching the data modem on my phone to LTE,CDMA is a poor workaround because 1x is unusable.  Once the LTE rollout is 100%, I might consider doing that, but not until there are no pockets of non-LTE areas (of which there are plenty in Chicago).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...