11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 1:42 PM by PARKKR01 RSS

Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery

samsonsmommy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Is this a common problem with this phone? I just got the phone a little less than a month ago. I already exchanged it out for a new one at the Sprint Store, and this one I've had about a week and it's doing the same thing. This is a huge problem. It will not have any response until I remove the battery and re-insert it. It does it no matter how much power it says the battery has. It did it last night while I was asleep and my alarm never came on this morning.  This is serious for me, as this is my alarm. I'm really frusterated and not sure what to do.

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    20SJ08 Newbie

Same problem...and this is my second GS2 in a year...not charging anymore after today.  Highly disappointed and disgusted with SPRINT!!!  Customer for over 17 yrs. 

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    Whadaya_no_JOE Regular Visitor

I think you are referring to a power button issue. I have the same problem....except my phone randomly wakes up to an often D's stuff inside my pocket. This will be my third GS2 this year. I don't know why Sprint won't let me upgre early, especially because this phone has had sooo many issues (GPS, Factory reset, battery problems, and now power button) when I had my OG epic I had no problems at all. I want a GSIII really bad and this GSII is making me feel it more and more everyday. Honestly, I'm not gonna switch to a different network, I just ant my upgrade a month early so I can get rid of this horrid problem causing phone. So now I have to pay $35 for the replacement, another $35 for the activation, then an upgrade fee when I upgrade in month....this is ridiculous.

You should try downloading an app called power button fix. It let's you wake the device by using the volume.

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    Kyakr Newbie

Just started to have the same problem (after using the phone for 13 months. Battery level 70%+ one minute, then get a low battery warning the next then phone shuts off. Works fine if connected to charger.

Just read about battery failures producing these results. Sure enough, my battery has a bulge. Is this a result of Ice Cream Sandwich on the SII and using GPS?

On another note, is Sprint cooking the ratings of phones when it is difficult/impossible to change the ratings one has posted?

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    LYONKSTER1 Regular Visitor

Having the same problem with three brand new Epic 4Gs - preiodically it just shuts off, even though it's at 70%+ charge.  Here are my observations - the first phone died twice in two weeks, so I exchanged it.  The second one started dying three times a day from day one, so I exchanged it.  The third one died twice in the first day.  In each case, when I opened the phone and powered it up, I accepted all the system updates.

Now, on the third phone, I did a hard reset, and am not accepting the system updates.  So far it has not died, so I wonder if there is something to the theory that the system updates are creating this problem.  It's only been two days so far, so too early to be sure, but I'll keep you posted.  Obviously three phones all having the same issue is not an isolated incident.

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    srala1 Valued Member

I am a former user of that Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch, and I say this with total enjoyment. To be one of the consumers to fall for the hype that surrounded this phone almost a year ago, it left me completely unsatisfied.. Almost immediately when the ICS upgrade was forced on me I had nothing but problems with it. This past Thanksgiving I was given the opprotunity by Sprint to lateral over to a comaparable phone like the S2 or get a third replacement S2. When this situation was presented to me I gladly junked that S2 and have been extremely happy ever since. Believe me I have had every single problem that has been discussed in here that the current S2 usres are experiencing. The S2, in my opinion will never be a phone you can count on now or in the future.

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery

So I am curious, what did you end up switching to?

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    srala1 Valued Member

Sprint gave me a choice between the HTC Evo 3D and the Motorola Photon 4g. After doing a bit of research on both phones I picked the Motorola Photon 4g. This phone is still running the Gingerbread OS and will not have any so-called upgrades to it. I come in here every once in awhile to see how things are with all the phones after their new upgrades to see how they are performing, and not to my surprise it looks like just about all the phones have instant problems with them the minute they are forced to upgrade to the newer OS. The latest upgrades to the HTC, and new S3 have their own problems after the upgrade just like the previous owners of the S2. It gets very frustrating when you buy a phone and become familiar with it, and find yourself happy with it,  only to have some forced upgrade ruin your experience with a phone you enjoyed for months before the upgrade. I now have a very satisfying experience with my Motorola as far as connectivity, battery life, and browsing the internet without much problems,  whereas the S2 failed horribly in all three of the categories I just mentioned no matter where I used the phone, be it at home or visiting family in another part of town. I am just happy to have left that S2 experience behind me once and for all.

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery

Thnkas for the response!  I was also looking at the HTC Evo, but had not considered the Motorola.  I think that if my S2 dies one more time, I'll take it back and switch to the Motorola.  Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    srala1 Valued Member

You are welcome. One thing I want to let you know about how I was able to get away from my S2. Each and every problem I had with the phone I called customer service and complained terribly about the phones performance.problems. Each and every time I was forced to go through the factory reset over the phone and then sent to the nearest repair center where the phone was looked at by technicians. No matter how many times I went through these procedures I could never get the phone fixed. What ever you do don't go to the store you bought your phone because they will not be able to do anything with it. Document all your problems with customer service over the phone and once the pattern shows that the phone is junk,  while discussing your utter displeasure with the phone, then and only then will you be able to make your case for a switch to another phone. I managed to get the Motorola without changing my contract or paying one penny out of my pocket. Good luck!!

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery

Those are good tips, thanks.  So far I have been taking it back to Best Buy, where I bought it, and they have had no problem exchanging it.  I get a new 30 day return policy with every exchange.  So if this third phone starts acting up in the next 30 days, I'll just take it back and exchange it for the Motorola.  If I get to the end of the 30 days and don't have an issue, then I'll have to ponder what to do.  I'm skeptical that I'll get that far without a problem though, given my previous experiences.

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 Turns itself off, will not turn back on without removing battery
    PARKKR01 Newbie

HOW DO I GET THE INFO off my phone???? This is so disturbing, I took it in to best buy, and the guy was not able to tell me what the problem was.  Wanted to do a hard reset, I informed him I needed to get the info off my phone, He didn't know what to do.  Now My phone will not charge or turn on, and I NEED that info.  All information is in regards to my son's brain tumor surgery, and it did not save to my SD like it was supposed to.  NOT happy with the phone, nor the fact that the people I call have no clue.  Only had this phone 1 year, and it seems they are ticking time bombs for you to spend more money.... PLEASE HELP!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points