This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 9:52 PM by MarkPac RSS

Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem

TSUTHERLAND Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have had my new Airave for a few days now. I have it connected to a Westell 7500 series WiFi modem. Mostly, they work great together except when CenturyLink decides to refresh the IP address multiple times a day. This refress sends my Airave into a fault code which goes away when I reset the Airave. Is there any way I can alleviate this problem, or am I stuck?

• 1. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    TSUTHERLAND Newbie

Called CenturyLink and they said that thier modem wasn't the problem. Sprint had told me that if I got a regular modem instead of a WiFi modem that it would fix the problem. CenturyLink says they refresh the IP addresses on all modems and that any modem they sent me would cause the same problem with Airave. Sprint says CenturyLink is the problem...CenturyLink says Sprint is the problem. NEED HELP!!!!

• 2. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    raylitherland67 Sprint Employee

If Centurylink is unable to replace the modem, an option to rebooting is to have the service bridged by your ISP, however, if the service is bridged a stand alone modem may not have WIFI capability and you may need a stand alone router to enable WIFI.

The modem/router combos to avoid are westell, actiontec and sagemcom.

Ray

• 3. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    cjfire66 Newbie

I am having the same problem with Centurylink and Airave.  The Airaive was provided without charge by Sprint due to the coverage hole where I live.  I works great for several hours then defaults out.  I am remodeling an older home and at first suspected it had something to do with the wiring in the house.  While it may still be contributing, after reading your post I suspect there is more to the problem, specifically this "refreshing" the IP addresses .  Ray, I'm not terribly tech savy...what do you mean by "bridged" service.  Centurylink is the ISP.  Do I need a different modem without WIFI connected to my phone jack, then another device (WIFI ROUTER)  connected to the modem?  Can I simply purchase a modem and router? Tsutherland, I know your post is recent but any updates or progress?  Thank you both for any responses.

• 4. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    raylitherland67 Sprint Employee

I do not know too much about bridging myself. Here is something I found in google. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-network-bridge.htm. Your ISP will be able to do this for you. Since you have a modem router combo, if you bridge your modem, that will disable your router where you will not be able to use that modem/router as wireless. You will need to purchase a stand alone router in order to use wireless in your house.

Ray

• 5. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    TSUTHERLAND Newbie

Ok, I checked my modem/router information and it says its already in bridged mode. I researched this and had this confirmed. My Airave is still defaulting as stated earlier. Now what do I do? I'm having to reset the Airave four or five times a day to get it to work. The only thing I havent done is disable the wifi feature on my modem. PLEASE HELP!!

• 6. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    cjfire66 Newbie

TSutherland, I've been browsing Sprint's support page for the Airave and it does specifically recommend the Airave be positioned between the modem and router.  It does not mention what to do with a modem/router combo.I think I am going to purchase a stand-alone modem and separate router as suggested by Ray.  CenturyLink has a listing in their support of "compatible" DSL modems and installation guides.  I've found a Motorola model online (Amazon) for under 40.00.  Router should be 20-30 for a house my size. A little more than a year of no "lease" fees from CenturyLink should pay for the extra equipment.  Thanks for the web reference Ray, but I think I'm going to dump the Westell altogether. I won't know if it works for a few days, but I'll let you both know how it turns out or if I discover anything else.

• 7. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    tallybroker Newbie

I'm  having similar problems with the Airave 2.5 and Centurylink Westell modem.  Did you have success after you purchased a standalone modem and separate wireless router?  what make/models did you purchase?

I've spoken to many Airave support techs and each one has a different solution, but none work. I'm on my 2nd replacement Airave and it has only worked for about 5 hours in the 10 days I've had it. It hasn't worked at all for the past 3 days, despite resetting and unplugging.

I've had a version of Airave from Sprint for over 3 yrs and the first 1.5 yrs it worked fine. Not sure what changed.

I'd love to get this working since I can't use my mobile phone at home without it.

Thanks

Colleen

• 8. Re: Airave vs Westell 7500 series WiFi modem
    MarkPac Newbie

I'm having the same issues.  Century Link said everything looks good on their end.  They told me to call Sprint and inform them that a port needed to be open for it to maintain the signal.  I spoke with Sprint Support and they looked for a DMZ setting for my modem but couldn't figure out where the setting is for my modem.  I don't have any cellular service in my home without the Airave.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...