This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 4:43 PM by clay1903 RSS

4G LTE in Greenville, SC??

clay1903 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Sprint customer for nearly 12 years and for the most part, I have been fairly happy.  But I am really becoming frustrated that Greenville, SC still does not have any 4G coverage from Sprint.  All the other major carriers have it here including, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.  I think what really bothers me is that I don't see Greenville on any of the rollout schedules!  It is really getting old to see all of these new 4G phones coming out and we can't even use them.  Most everyone else I know have phones with other carriers and they are already on 4G.  But here I am still rocking the 3G, so obviously my phone is much slower than everyone else even though I have a 4G phone.  It's somewhat embarrassing to continue paying the extra $10 a month for a service I don't even have.  I am to the point where I am seriously considering paying the early termination fee and going to Verizon.  I don't care if it does cost a bit more per month.  That is not the issue with me.  I'm just tired of waiting for something that I was under the impression we were getting nearly two years ago.  To sum it all up, why would I stay with Sprint and continue waiting for 4G when everyone else already has it?  It's almost too little too late.  If 4G isn't in Greenville by year's end (2012) then I am out!

• 1. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    AJColaSC Regular Visitor

At least you have a couple wimax protection sites, down in Columbia there are zero.  Unless things have changed Greenville/Spartanburg & Columbia are in the South Carolina market which has not been announced schedule wise as of yet.  I would not anticipate any NV work starting here until 3rd quarter of 2013, maybe even early 2014.

• 2. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    clay1903 Regular Visitor

We don't have any type of 4G in Greenville.  As far as I know the closest wi-max 4G is in Charlotte.  I saw on the rollout schedule where Lancaster, SC is getting LTE.  What I can't understand is how are they getting it before Columbia, Charleston,or Greenville.  I do realize, it may be to expand Charlotte's coverage some.  But It's like our state is kind of on the back burner of this whole thing. 

• 3. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    AJColaSC Regular Visitor

go to www.clear.com/coverage and check out the maps.  Greenville, Taylors, Inman and Spartanburg all have WiMax protection site(s).  Lancaster and Rockhill, SC are in the Charlotte area markets which are in progress now, which is why they will probably be launched Mid 2013.  SC just has had many issues relating to spectrum, backhaul, etc. not to mention smaller customer base to be a priority.  I have heard Sprint has been actively running fiber in Columbia and expect that is a big first step as you cannot support LTE on T1 lines, which is what everything is running off of now.

• 4. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    clay1903 Regular Visitor

Ah, ok.  I didn't realize we had that.  Lol.  I guess they never launced them.  I'm still on 3G here.  I really appreciate the info!   Hopefully, soon we both will have 4G here in the Palmetto.  I just don't think I'm going to wait much longer on Sprint.  Do you know if Verizon has 4G in Columbia?

• 5. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    AJColaSC Regular Visitor

Verizon launched LTE in Columbia and surrounding areas on April 18, 2011.  If you have a wimax phone there are some settings you can change that might help you pick up a signal but there are no guarantees.

• 6. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    zerosandones1101 Regular Visitor

Wow, that's very discouraging information. I was already considering a switch to Verizon, and I think that just cinched it. I can actually get a cheaper plan from them, surprisingly, and a decent 4G connection pretty much anywhere in town. I think my Christmas present to me is gonna be a Galaxy S3 on Verizon...

At this rate, Verizon will roll out 5G before Sprint gets 4G out here =/

• 7. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    clay1903 Regular Visitor

I actually just signed up with Verizon this past Sunday.  I still have my Sprint service (for now) but will probably drop it next month.  I want to kind of compare the two while I still have my Sprint service.  I travel quite a bit through my job and I'm pretty impressed with Verizon's 4G.  I get it in a lot of places.  Even some spots in south Georgia, where it is rather remote.  I have to admit, it's hard leaving Sprint, having been a customer for over a decade but I've just become frustrated with them being this far behind on 4G.  I would probably even stay with them if I just saw that they were planning to launch 4G in Greenville on one of the rollout schedules, but when I saw that we aren't on it all, who knows how long it may be, or if we even get it at all. 

• 8. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??

Yeah, I agree, if there were even plans to rollout... but there's just nothing! I really do hate to leave, I've never really had any other complaints besides this, but it's just a dealbreaker in the end. Lemme know what you think of Verizon's service... I've pretty much made up my mind, but more info is always good

• 9. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    clay1903 Regular Visitor

That's exactly how I feel.  I've been very pleased with their customer service and the unlimited data plan is great, just not enough to keep me there with no LTE.  As for Verizon, I've only had it for four days but I'm very impressed with it's LTE coverage.  And it's fast!   Faster than my Wi-fi.  The only thing I'm curious about is the data plan.  I signed up for 4Gigs and I think that should be plenty.  But I am keeping my eye on it.  Lol.  Also the voice coverage is great as well.  I have yet to see it roam.  Like I said, I was down in south Georgia earlier this week and always had a signal.  My Sprint coverage gets a little sketchy down that way most of the time.   So as of right now, I feel like I'm making the right move.

• 10. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??

Wow, sounds nice. I've checked my usage trends with sprint and think I can get away with the 1GB data plan, but I'll sort that out when I get there. My gf has Verizon, and I'm floored by her speeds, it's amazing. One time, on the freeway just outside atlanta she speedtested at something like 25megs XD I'm definitely looking forward to making the switch, and getting a new phone while I'm at it - rockin an old EVO 4G (ironically, haha) right now.

• 11. Re: 4G LTE in Greenville, SC??
    clay1903 Regular Visitor

Lol!  I had that phone.  That's a sweet phone.  Like you say though, it would have been nice to use the 4G.  I splurged and got the Note 2 with Verizon.  I really like it.  I was torn between it and the HTC Droid DNA, because I do like HTC.  But I like this Note.  Not much it can't do.

Yeah, 25 megs is blazing fast!   I believe it.  Like I say, it's faster than my wifi.  I think you'll like making the switch.  I'm happy with it so far.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points