1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2013 7:56 AM by 808moke RSS

After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...

808moke Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Even though I experienced a ton of problems associated with the ICS update... I figured I would listen to Garwynn and update my phone!  EVERYONE... NEVER UPDATE YOUR PHONE!  This has to be the worst update ever... Now I have to go down to SPRINT and explain to a bunch of 20 year olds that I dont need a hard reset, I dont need a cache wipe, I need a friggin new PHONE!  Not a refurbished GSII that is going to have the smae problems sooner or later... I need a waiver to a GS3 or something better than this bricked piece of dung! 

Problems experienced after the update, hard reset and battery conditioning...

1.  Frequent random reboots... My phone rebooted from ICS update maybe 4-5 times a week.. this one is rebooting 2-3 times a day! 

2. Spontaneous battery loss...  Either by reset or non use my battery drains faster than ginger bread or the last ICS update...

Resets cause my battery to go from 90% charge- 45% without battery removal! 

3. Freezing... after I updated and so forth I picked up only 3-4 apps considering I knew I was going to have problems somewhere within this update... DOLPHiN browser  was excellent in past updates.. however this update bricks the phone leaving the power and home buttons unuseable... I have to physically take the battery out for a few minutes and restart... obviously this is not a reboot but a freeze or brick of my phone...

I know it's Samsung pushing the bad updates but Sprint better give us a free chance to upgrade!!!  I'm tired of saying this **** over and over... I am going to call tech support and ruin someones day right now!  Tuesday they are going to have people crying when I get down the Sprint store...!   I have been waiting for a fix since I got the update which I didnt want...

• 1. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    808moke Valued Member

I know by how many views I have had at this time of day many are probably experiencing the same problems.... VOICE THEM!

• 2. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    GalaxyQuest Newbie

I can join the crowd and echo what 808moke is experiencing. Phone updated Thursday and on Friday began acting out. Today however everything seems normal. Unplugged the phone from overnight charging at 7:30am now at 11:16am I have 73 percent battery which is reasonably normal from my experience with the phone up to now. I did turn off bluetooth and have turned it back on to see if that changes anything. I agree with 808moke that if this continues I will insist Sprint replace or lose me as a customer.

• 3. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    John588 Regular Visitor

@808moke - I am experiencing the rebooting issue with one of my E4GT's (my wife has the other one).  A lot of these issues are battery related, so since I have two devices in-house, I was able to rule out that possibility (both batteries work fine in her device, and neither one has bulged).  That leaves me with two possibilities.  1.  The hardware power button has failed.  2.  The software update killed my phone. 

Both of those options have their issues.  Other people on the web with my issue have replaced the power button to no avail, indicating it might be a software issue.  Also, quite a few people with root/custom builds have experienced the same issue, which makes me believe it might actually be a hardware failure.

Basically, I'm at a loss, and I'm really not interested in taking it to a Sprint store and having them tell me one of the following: 1.  Your phone is water damaged, we can't help you (I've heard plenty of horror stories about people who have never had their phone around water, yet have been flagged in-store by techs.  Fyi, mine most certainly does not have water damage).  2.  This is a software issue we can't fix, pay us $35 and we'll send you a refurbished device in a week that will likely have the same problem. 

Any Sprint reps, can you confirm something for me?  If I take my phone in to a service and repair center, and it's a software issue that has my phone jacked up, will I still have to pay the $35 triage fee, despite the fact that it was Samsung/Sprint who messed up my phone?

• 4. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    808moke Valued Member

So I went down to the store today and techs basically said that i should turn my phone over to samsung... With both Sprint and Samsung pointing fingers at each other no one is willing to accept the blame!  They acknowledged the fact that ever since ICS came out alot of epic 4g phones have gone bad... The tech offered to give me a free battery but then found out he had none... The tech at the Honolulu store named Brandon said there was nothing he could do to help me other than refer me to Samsung... If I send my phone to Samsung or have it replaced 90% of the people on epic 4g touch forums complain of the phone having the same symptoms as soon as they upgrade to ICS.  I asked if they could waive my last year on my epic so I could upgrade but was denied.  Why should I have to have a broken phone that was created by Samsung and sprint incompetance?!  I will pay for a new phone but Sprint should waive off my contract for BREAKING a very usable samsung epic 4g touch with gingerbread...

If a car dealer installs or gives me an updated chip and now the car uses twice the gas and then the dealer refuses or wont fix it... why do I have to pay anything to get something that works again?  It's the dealers fault for giving me something that makes my car unuseable!  They know that ICS is making the batteries bloat and phones discharge rapidly .... why do we have to pay for something that Sprint and samsung have pushed on us?  I just got this phone... waive my last year of my contract so at least I can buy something useable!  I am already out money on a phone that was supposed to work for two years... Why should I have to pay penalties for something Sprint broke?  What are they going to say... you didnt have to upgrade to ics? thats your fault for pushing install now?

• 5. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    mgonzales085 Valued Member

I feel your pain! What makes me mad is the fact that I cannot even make a simple phone call most of the time. A couple of weeks ago, I had to go pick up my friend's son from school and could not find him. I pick up the phone to call him and guess what.....nothing! Even when I would get a dial tone, it would disconnect on me. Luckily I ended up finding him. Again, this happened today...tried making a call and nothing at all. I would retry and everytime I would think it was getting a connection, it would disconnect me right away. I finally had to pull the battery to perform a soft reset. Of course, the first couple of times it disconnected me and finally was able to get a dial tone and make a call. You know, I don't see how letting a customer upgrade a few months early is going to hurt their bottom line. My upgrade is up in April and I don't know if this phone will last that long. I don't want to spend money just to get a phone that works when I have one that is suppose to work as advertised when I bought it. The EFT is certainly looking more tempting and worth the investment to go back to T-Mobile again. If Sprint would actually work with their customers to right a wrong, they would shed the risk of losing all of their customers who are fixing to jump ship after their contracts renew or even consider paying the EFT's (like me) to move on to better things. Really....is 5 months early for an upgrade worth losing a contracted customer for another 2 years? I would do the math but as we all know, it does not make good business sense at all.

• 6. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    colopatiron Newbie

Also experiencing these issues with two of the same devices. Sprint and Samsung have left me with a paperweight. I use the phone for work, from client and site from client and site. Very difficult to do my job correctly with a phone that reboots when i use my gps or attempt to forward received files.  Absolutly last Samsung device i spend money on, im going back to htc. As far as sprint, well i got a year left to decside  if ill re up or not. I've been told by a service manager at a sprint store that a patch for this problem is coming out by next week. Hope to have a htc lte by then!

• 7. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    mgonzales085 Valued Member

Okay, I have had enough of this battery drainage today so I made an appointment to take my phone in for Sprint to look at. For example, this morning I pulled off my phone from the charger and it was at a full charge (well, 99%) at 6:00am. Went to work, had phone on silent, checked a few emails and text messages but made no phone calls or browsed on the web or Google Play Store. At around 2:30pm in the afternoon, I check my phone and it is at 5% about to be dead any minute. I can understand if I was using the phone heavily and consistently using FB, emails, text messaging, internet usage, and of that other garbage that consumes your battery quickly. Granted, I have these following settings initiated on my phone all of the time: GPS off, Bluetooth off, 4G off (besides, it is almost as slow as 3G so why waste good juice plus I use my wifi at home or work when I need to), auto screen settings, no haptic feedback, and manual sync of my accounts during the day at work. So now my fate will be in the hands of the repair technicians at Sprint tomorrow. I will see what happens and cross my fingers that they can make me happy again by ordering me a new phone or (by some miracle) let me do an early upgrade.

• 8. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    808moke Valued Member

So I took my phone back again and this time I asked for my phone to be flashed back to Gingerbread.  The tech actually said yes as a Courtesy!  After that and a factory hard reset my battery would only charge to 95%.  The tech said it was because my batery was bloated... Why the **** would it be bloated unless all those new updates by ICS ruined the battery that was fine on GB!  Samsung and Sprint will not take responsibility for ruining our phones!  Should I have to buy a new battery helll no?  They should give me one for pushing an operating system that has seriously debilitated the use of our phones leaving them rebooting ... battery draining and bloating... and further more unuseable in many aspects! 

So now I have a nagging update screen but alot better battery that can last up to 2 days with a bloated battery.  I reconditioned my old battery by totally discharging it a few time and then charging it to full with the phone off.. After watching it closely to charge fully I took out the battery for 5 minutes and reinstalled it and then charged to full again... Repeated this cycle about 3 times and it seems my battery will now charge to 100% again. 

Gingerbread rocks and wifi turns off when your screen turns off... unlike ICS it turns back on when your screen comes on!

If and when we get Jelly bean I wouldn't upgrade... it's just not worth it on the EPIC.  Hopefully everyones contracts are up by then because Sprint is not going to give us anything even when Samsung and Sprint damaged our phones....

• 9. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    zoopta Newbie

I am having the same issues.  After the ICS update my phone battery began to drain rapidly, instead of 24+ hours of battery life I could literally turn my phone on and watch the battery percentage drop about 1% every 30 seconds.

After that I had to recharge the battery twice or three times a day, with minimal usage to even get that far.  Over the following 2 weeks the phone began to shut off when it hit 10% left, then 30%, then 40%, then 75%, now it turns off when the battery drains to 97%.  Essentially I turn my phone on, use it for 5 minutes and it dies.

When I plug it in to charge it thinks it is almost fully charged.

Total BS, I have to go to the Sprint store and figure out if they will do anything because I have 1 year left on my contract.

• 10. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    garwynn Expert

Sounds like a bad battery..  A spin test on a flat surface will confirm bulging.

My not-a-Sprint-employee advice would be call a corp store with repair office nearby... explain the situation.

Don't be aggressive and just ask nicely if they can replace it under the Samsung warranty.

If they don't, try another location... and if you get someone who says they can, get their name.

Then go in and I'll bet you don't have any issues.

I say go this route because Sprint Techs have given conflicting advice.

Locally they said it's covered by TEP - others are saying no but if they have will usually be nice and replace.

• 11. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    808moke Valued Member

Conflicting advice is an undestatement to say the least with sprint techs... Since the communication gap between SPRINT Chiefs and Indians is so vast... let me know where to get these free batteries so I can get myself one... I don't understand why it shouldn't be covered by the 1 year Samsung warranty but then you have to go through the trouble of surrendering your phone for a few weeks and all the horrible fees of activation if you need something in between...

• 12. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    808moke Valued Member

CONTINUANCE OF THE ONGOING BATTERY AND REBOOT PROBLEMS... STILL NO BATTERY FROM SPRINT....***?

• 13. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    Eludium-Q36 Valued Member

I'm on ICS 4.0.4 FI27. Good news, long story short, I went to Settings-->Accounts & Sync then removed entries for Facebook and Twitter and this fixed most of my battery drain problems, seriously. And like many others my GPS sensor goes off the rails at times and won't detect sats, and that puts my E4GT into a power tailspin. So the first and easiest thing to do is to disable GPS from the notific'n panel. Then later at night, I'll either pull the battery and restart which seems to set GPS straight, or because every few months that doesn't even work, I use the "GPS Status and Toolbox" app's Manage A-GPS State tool to clear the GPS cache, pull the battery, restart and its fine. This can be alot of workaround stuff but at least you won't anymore hate the phone you loved so much and makes the wait for Jellybean more tolerable.

• 14. Re: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...
    808moke Valued Member

if you are still on ICS and refuse to root your phone... take it back to sprint and have them reflash gingerbread... btw random disconnects, roaming, and bad gps overall is better than buying a new battery every 2-3 months right?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...